I've found Wood rot

Hello
As I passed through the roof and into the second bedroom, I began to realise the extent of the wood rot.
I have spent the past week replacing the battens that are affected. This requires removing all tiles, so while I am doing the batten replacement, I have also decided to remove the old insulation, rat skeletons etc, and put in new fat bats. Then to stop water ever getting back into the roof I have purchased 5 large rolls of astro-foil and am rolling that out over the top of the battens so that any water that gets in behind the tiles will be directed into the gutter.
Astro foil is not cheap $250 for each roll (30sqm), I could have gotten away with less, but I have overlaped each roll by about 40cm which is probably overkill, but I only ever want to do this job once.
I will post pictures when I get time (including the large hole in the roof that I fell through).
I really hate spending money on things that will not add value to the house, however this was a necessity, I had live power cables submerged in about 2cm of water in parts, and the dry rot could have eventually have passed to other parts of the house, creating a much more expensive problem.

Hi A01

Sometimes the moisture and subsequent decay of your tile battens is caused by warm air from the house rising and condensing on the back of the cold tile. Don’t be surprised if you can never find a leak but always have droplets on the back of the tiles.
Your remedy will work well and I would also consider one of those whirlybird ventilators too.

Hi Duncan
Yes it was the first thing I checked.
I also isolate the power before heading up on the roof, I have pretty good self preservation skills !
The bad news is that this job is very arduous, dirty, dangerous (relatively) and time consuming, and I will not have any visual reminder of the work that has gone in. The good news is that the first bedroom I completed already feels different, it no longer feels damp and cold, I think this may well contribute to tenants staying longer.
That BBQ might be delayed a little bit longer.
Regards Adam

Back