Jerrabomberra advice please

Hi guys
I looked at allhome website & interested in Jerrabomberra, it offer very good yeild too, any advice on this suburb please.
thanks for any inputs
Mj

Please remember 2 major points for jerra...Some houses are effected by aircraft noise and are under the direct flight path. also over the past 10 years alot of the premier section of jerra has been developed pushing the median house price higher....There still good value in some t/houses in the lower area's returning nice yields.

Also with Tralee going in there's a chance of more aircraft noise in future
The new gaol is also add's a nice bit to the view of some places

Miles from anywhere and no public transport to speak of.

Except for those who work in Symonston, or want a big house closer to Barton/Manuka than Gungahlin or Tuggeranong, I'm struggling to see any advantages of the place.

Being next door to Canberra's poshest suburbs, Narrabundah's a better bet, though note various pockets as parts are housing commission.

thanks guys for all inputs, I'd better look at somewhere else then. But just wonder why people keep building very nice houses in the area if there'snot much CG potiential? (be honest, I've never been there but look at google map some street have such a good view) any ideas about where to buy in Canberra, I have up to 500K to spend and looking for close to neutural gear.
thanks a lot
Mj

G'day MJD

My bf owns a property in queanbeyan (next door) that he recently rented out for 6%+ yield. Jerra is better regarded than queanbeyan and generally have much larger blocks and dont suffer as much with adverse bias as Queanbeyan. With HQJOC opening up in Bungendore, agents in Queanbeyan told him that any 3+ bed houses for rent in Jerra/QBN were being snapped straight up - gotta remember that Defence people get substantial rental assistance in line with median rents in the area. Therefore, renting around $500 in Canberra is not out of price ranges.

My main issue would be the new suburb which is going to pop up down in Googong (near the dam) over the next few years, according to local government. Jerra is closer to town than some other popular parts of the ACT. Personally, I still like Queanbeyan better because it is closer to town/airport/HQJOC/Brindabella Business park.

For those talking about flight routes, where can i find the flight routes for this area? Aircraft sound was negligible compared to rumour...may have heard a few planes in the 5 months i spent there!

Last edited:
Hi MJD,

I am living in Jerrabomberra and have been renting here for about 6 months now. All i can say is that i really like it here. Having come from Melbourne, i find it had the best of both worlds. It feels like a little community of lovely houses surrounded by fields of cows and kangaroos!

There is a small shopping centre close by and it takes about 20 minutes to drive into the city. Rental properties are always snapped up quickly. It is well serviced with parks, lakes and a primary school. It is very convenient for defence personnel working in Bungendore.

We much prefer Jerra to inner city suburbs where the rentals are higher and the quality of houses very poor.

Oh, and we quite like the planes flying overhead!! A few are noisy, but it really doesn't bother us at all.

Hope this helps!
Beloved1

I would look at the following 3 area's with your budget- Mawson, Mckellar, Campbell.
(Mawson might be a struggle now with 500k- for a house)

All 3 have good cg drivers and are in sort after locations, i worked this market for a long time as a agent and think its a nice time to start buying selected properties in canberra.

G'day MJD

My bf owns a property in queanbeyan (next door) that he recently rented out for 6%+ yield. Jerra is better regarded than queanbeyan and generally have much larger blocks and dont suffer as much with adverse bias as Queanbeyan. With HQJOC opening up in Bungendore, agents in Queanbeyan told him that any 3+ bed houses for rent in Jerra/QBN were being snapped straight up - gotta remember that Defence people get substantial rental assistance in line with median rents in the area. Therefore, renting around $500 in Canberra is not out of price ranges.

My main issue would be the new suburb which is going to pop up down in Googong (near the dam) over the next few years, according to local government. Jerra is closer to town than some other popular parts of the ACT. Personally, I still like Queanbeyan better because it is closer to town/airport/HQJOC/Brindabella Business park.

For those talking about flight routes, where can i find the flight routes for this area? Aircraft sound was negligible compared to rumour...may have heard a few planes in the 5 months i spent there!

hi Tan,
thanks for your opinion, I also have an IP in Karabar/queanbeyan in a nice street yeild is 5.9% but I heard from one of my college who used to live in Canberra 10 years ago that quean is pretty rough , he wouldnot buy in there.

sorry Tan I don't get it why would it be an issue if new suburb Googong is built??
Mj

Hi MJD,

I am living in Jerrabomberra and have been renting here for about 6 months now. All i can say is that i really like it here. Having come from Melbourne, i find it had the best of both worlds. It feels like a little community of lovely houses surrounded by fields of cows and kangaroos!

There is a small shopping centre close by and it takes about 20 minutes to drive into the city. Rental properties are always snapped up quickly. It is well serviced with parks, lakes and a primary school. It is very convenient for defence personnel working in Bungendore.

We much prefer Jerra to inner city suburbs where the rentals are higher and the quality of houses very poor.

Oh, and we quite like the planes flying overhead!! A few are noisy, but it really doesn't bother us at all.

Hope this helps!
Beloved1

Hi Beloved1, thanks for you input. I feel like to make a trip to Jerr to check it out myself. as you've been living there for some time, any idea of what streets/or area in Jerr to be avoided.??
thanks
Mj

Hi MJD

In regards, i think what Tan is referring to is the amount of new stock that will likely be coming on to the market in the next few years, which may compete with Jerra. The govt announced that a huge amount of lots would be released at Googong (with appropriate infrastructure) in an attempt to improve affordability - as you would know, ACT isn't the most affordable place.

Access to Jerra is a bit of a bugger compared to QBN, but it is still ok. Thamask makes a good point in regards to Campbell - if i could afford a place there i would buy there. It is a great location and probably isnt quite as expensive as other areas close to town because of some of the older houses - but they are quickly being stripped down and units put up because the location is great. Similar to Ainslie i think, which i believe had large growth in the last few years?

Back