Job Interview Disaster

Completely choked. Nervous. Questions answered poorly, incoherently and sometimes even incorrectly. Hours later, still feel like vomiting.

I don't know how other people do these things. I mean, be a successful, confident human being capable of speaking to unfamiliars in a clear and concise manner without resorting to a whisper, wringing hands, taking deep breaths or otherwise humiliating oneself.

I practised, rehearsed, envisaged it, wanted it more than anything then... failed.

How do people do it? :(

Reminds me of the time my sister went for an interview.

Everything went well, she said, till she made one mistake - she opened her mouth!!

All downhill from then.

BTW, a few months later she went for another interview, for a better job, and was successful.

Keep trying!
Marg

Research the organisation, have some background knowledge on hand.

Having lots of well considered answers to likely questions. Having lots of material relating to your past experiences, including specific examples of relevant skills being applied, and soft skills like conflict resolution.

Practice with someone who knows how to interview, and knows how to apply some psychological pressure. Then practice more.

Smile confidently, shake hands firmly, and always have some relevant questions to ask in return that don't relate to pay or conditions.

Look on the bright side, if you don't get this job you'll have an opportunity to try some of these techniques and build your skills.

Know that you're good enough, and what they want as a candidate. Everything else is just fluff and pomp.

Confidence overshadows intelligence and technical skills time and again.

I practised, rehearsed, envisaged it, wanted it more than anything then...

That's where you went wrong.

Need to change mindset. Interviews are not about you selling your skill. Your resume does that. It is to work out if you are a good fit for them and equal or more importantly if they are a good fit for you.

I've had interviews where I answered every technical question wrong and was still hired over those who had significantly more experience.

Eg. I don't have much experience but what is experience other than doing the same things wrong over and over. I love to learn and take on new industry learnings to take us to the forefront blah blah blah.

I also practice call and interview regularly wether I am going for a job or not. Always using the STAR method of answering questions.

Turn your weaknesses into strength, just need to show that you have something else to offer, most times you can learn the actual technical stuff on the job.

Hope that helps.

To be honest it sounds like you may have anxiety issues, perhaps talk to a dr about how you felt and reacted, it's very much a real thing that can be treated

To be honest it sounds like you may have anxiety issues, perhaps talk to a dr about how you felt and reacted, it's very much a real thing that can be treated

I don't see how being nervous in an interview (a high stress environment for most people) means you should talk to a shrink?

Can completely depend on the day ... some days I'm bright and bubbly and some days I'm a surly so-in-so ... the interviews on the bright days are the jobs I've always got.

Nothing to do with research or preparing

I think it all comes down to confidence. Actually, a lot of things in life do. Nearly everything.

And the best part is that confidence can be learned. Or rather, you can unlearn the conditioning that is making you not have the confidence that you should have.

Understanding how the egoic mind works and learning not to engage with your thoughts will help immensely in this regard.

+1

20yo lad that i know who has suffered debilitating anxiety since around age 12 is now on an anti depressant that deals with anxiety, obsessive thoughts, panic attacks and social anxiety, and he hasn't felt better in years.

He had previously tried CBT and counselling but in his case did not help at all.

I would definitely recommend seeing a doctor.

Last edited:
Completely choked. Nervous. Questions answered poorly, incoherently and sometimes even incorrectly. Hours later, still feel like vomiting.

I don't know how other people do these things. I mean, be a successful, confident human being capable of speaking to unfamiliars in a clear and concise manner without resorting to a whisper, wringing hands, taking deep breaths or otherwise humiliating oneself.

I practised, rehearsed, envisaged it, wanted it more than anything then... failed.

What was there at your interview? In the room with you and your interrogator?

There would of been you, the interviewer, the seat you were sitting on and probably a window and some other things not worth mentioning...but it seems that a lot more was added to this interview, except some of this stuff you can't touch or sit on, but for some reason you may of felt it was as real as the seat you were sitting on... Yes it was your mind!!!. Blazing away like a monkey with its hair on fire!!!

All the anxiety stress and confusion comes from your
Mind which then transforms into emotion which is nothing more than a physical reaction that will never last more than 3.5 min ...unless of course it is refuelled with more of the former....so the idea is to deeply realise that the mind is just like a lake, it doesn't matter how rough the surface is, it's actually how deep the lake itself is that matters , so when your sitting in the interview you focus on the depth of the lake and then the surface will eventually calm , this is called awareness and unfortunately it requires you to strengthen a certain muscle not many people want to work out

A good way to have a little sneak peak at how your mind is controlling your life is to conduct the following exercise - pull up a chair in a empty room and stare very closely at the wall, wait about 5 seconds and then see who comes to visit- but don't do anything about it just watch it- then continue watching all the garbage and fiction roll around in your vessel for about another hour and then eventually there should eventually be some stillness... Won't last very long probably only a few seconds, but that's the depth of the lake at that moment in time...that nothing is a problem, just you and the world being ok with each other, take that moment with you into the next interview and be ok with what ever happens next

What was there at your interview? In the room with you and your interrogator?

There would of been you, the interviewer, the seat you were sitting on and probably a window and some other things not worth mentioning...but it seems that a lot more was added to this interview, except some of this stuff you can't touch or sit on, but for some reason you may of felt it was as real as the seat you were sitting on... Yes it was your mind!!!. Blazing away like a monkey with its hair on fire!!!

All the anxiety stress and confusion comes from your
Mind which then transforms into emotion which is nothing more than a physical reaction that will never last more than 3.5 min ...unless of course it is refuelled with more of the former....so the idea is to deeply realise that the mind is just like a lake, it doesn't matter how rough the surface is, it's actually how deep the lake itself is that matters , so when your sitting in the interview you focus on the depth of the lake and then the surface will eventually calm , this is called awareness and unfortunately it requires you to strengthen a certain muscle not many people want to work out

A good way to have a little sneak peak at how your mind is controlling your life is to conduct the following exercise - pull up a chair in a empty room and stare very closely at the wall, wait about 5 seconds and then see who comes to visit- but don't do anything about it just watch it- then continue watching all the garbage and fiction roll around in your vessel for about another hour and then eventually there should eventually be some stillness... Won't last very long probably only a few seconds, but that's the depth of the lake at that moment in time...that nothing is a problem, just you and the world being ok with each other, take that moment with you into the next interview and be ok with what ever happens next

Pretty much what I was getting at, although I was much more brief :)

To the OP, you might find meditation quite beneficial. Personally though, I didn't find meditation that useful until I was already aware of my thoughts and my mind. Meditation made more 'sense' to me at that point.

I don't see how being nervous in an interview (a high stress environment for most people) means you should talk to a shrink?

There's stress and there's the symptoms OP described. I'm in no way trying to belittle op but have dealt with a loved one who suffers anxiety and have seen the transformation a little help can give..

Understand who/what it is the company is looking for using sources such as their website, their job ad, their clients websites if ya know them and from the info they share during the application process (including start of interview).

Be that person, own that identity. All answers and their wording should convey or reflect that identity. Also, having a technical answer is far less important than knowing the processes involved.

I lost count on about 100 odd interviews. Its the times I was able to do the above that I got a good result.

Do you know for sure that you did not get the job?

The reason I ask this is many moons ago I went for interview and thought I failed miserably, similar to your comments posted, and I actually got the job.

Perhaps you are being too harsh on yourself, the panel understand that most will be nervous.

:)

Hi Fifth

Sorry to hear about the experience.

Back in the old PAYG days I used to prepare for interviews by anticipating the sort of questions that would be asked and rehearsing responses (which was kind of easy in the APS). Personally, for me - preparation was always key.

Cheers

Jamie

Most people are nervous when it comes to interviews.

As others have said interview is an opportunity to determine if you are a good fit, and at the same time your opportunity to find out whether you think they are a good fit for you.

Ask them questions - things that you think will impact on your work...e.g. their management style, what would it take to be successful.

For my last interview at my current employer (where I really wanted to be - and their HR were keen - given I was chosen for a role earlier last year - and things changed within the team) - the interviewer (head of my current team) gave feedback that it almost felt like I was interviewing them...not sure if this would go down well with most employers :D

Also, for the same role - first interview, I walked out telling my family that this role is not the right fit for me...and I think the feeling is mutual - and the feedback was that I was their number one choice from the other dozen people they had met.... so you never know!

Good luck :)

I worked in HR for some time and never minded nervous - unless it is for a sales position in which case I expect the candidate to conquer performance anxiety very quickly.

The best advice I ever received, corny though it is, is to be yourself. Do you want to work for a company that hires the fake you, or the real you, nerves and all?

Acknowledge that the situation makes you uncomfortable, and deal with it. Also practice makes perfect. Go for lots of interviews and you will get better.

One thing nervous people do is talk too much. A good interviewer will pause, seeing if you waffle. Answer the question, accurately, succinctly, then stop talking. Make eye contact. Make the interviewer move on.

Have lots of questions prepared. Pull out a notebook or typewritten sheet and refer to your questions. If you have done research on the company, bring it with you and refer to it, with the logo prominently displayed. If being interviewed by your potential line manager, those questions should focus on how you can make his or her life easier. If interviewed by the CEO / Owner ask about the company, it's history and future direction.

I bet your interview wasn't as bad as this:
Me: So you need to be aware we conduct background checks. Any objection?
Candidate: no
Me: .....pause...
Me: is there anything you would like to add?
Candidate: no
Me:......pause
Candidate: look, I got 6 months after I robbed that bottle shop but I haven't had any smack for nearly a year now.

True story.

Back