joining carpet

We are still doing our PPOR renovation... one thing leads to another, and it is becoming the never ending story.

We got a quote for carpet, underlay and installation, which was $10K for 8 rooms. 6x bedrooms, one living area and one entranceway/ stairs) I was a bit surprised by how high the quote was. We never choose the cheapest products, and we have included a very high quality underlay, because I use a wheelchair part time and need to be able to wheel over the carpet easily.

When I questioned the guy, he suggested that we should allow some joins in some of the rooms, which he said were odd shapes/ sizes. He thought in one room alone we could probably save $500. (we will also probably use a cheaper underlay in rooms I dont use very often).

But we were concerned about the joins..... are they usually visible? Do they affect wear and tear of the carpet? (I'm not quite sure where they will be and how many there will be)

thx

I have had joins in carpets in doorways in the past and it was always "noticeable if you looked" , I suppose visitors may or may not have noticed but I knew they were there.

Perhaps no joins in high traffic areas and areas of less use can be cheaper underlay and joined as is suitable

Sometimes the joins can be kept in low visibilty areas such as where funiture will be - beds, couches etc.

The style of carpet can also help hide joins - longer piles will hide joins better than very short styles.

The join thing is more an issue of visibility. The problem is that joins will show more over time when there is a lot of traffic across them.

So in rooms with low traffic then it can be more economical to have joins across the room but I would still limit these to sides of the room where there is minimal expected traffic.

Regarding your underlay with wheelchair issue i would look more into this issue as the more expensive underlays may actually deform more under the wheels. They are generally thicker and may not support the narrow wheel so you get the opposite result and sink further into the carpet.

Cheers

Regarding your underlay with wheelchair issue i would look more into this issue as the more expensive underlays may actually deform more under the wheels. They are generally thicker and may not support the narrow wheel so you get the opposite result and sink further into the carpet.

Cheers

the underlay they were looking to use is a commercial underlay.. so its harder and not as "bouncy".

Back