Jointly owned property. One owner moving in only. What is the land tax rule?

Hi, I am half the owner of a property.

Obviously the other owner can do what they want, move in, stay overnight, whatever. Although I don't think they want to be moving in any time soon, so I have a question.

What are the land tax rules if only one of the owners moves in while the other doesn't?

Is it sufficient for only one owner to move in and not pay any land tax at all for the property?

Do you still have to pay land tax for the other owner that hasn't moved in yet? Is it half the amount?

Thats an interesting question. All properties are subject to land tax, they simply give you an exemption if its your PPOR. Its probably covered in the Q&A or drop OSR an email.

Thanks for your response, but no, I don't want to ask them questions by email. I will look into the exemptions as you mentioned + the website and see if I can find an answer there. Thankyou.

Last edited:
What???, We still have to pay close to two thousand dollars? Oh no! Thanks for your response.

We want to get rid of the land tax.

So, anyway, if the other part owner agrees about the change of name, and we want to change it to one owner only, is it recommended to use a solicitor to change the name of ownership? Is there a "do it yourself" "change of ownership form somewhere?

Yes, I am desperate to get rid of the land tax, all of it, not just half, as when only one owner moves in, things start to change. No longer does the land tax come out of the rental income as there is no more rental income, because you are living in the home. It comes out of your own savings/wages. I remember before we had tenants in the home, a long time ago my sister saying that she will not pay land tax out of her own savings/wages and told me to find another solution. So we rented the home out. For us, it will have to be "no rental income, no land tax" choice or "rental income with land tax", nothing in between. I'll have to think about what we are going to do very carefully.

I suggest anyone getting a property, be careful, don't get it in 2 names as you will regret it as our family has. We weren't sure about the 50% exemption, but we sort of guessed that would be what they would do. Actually I wouldn't consider the 50% exemption situation, because with no rental income the part owner isn't going to agree to that and I can see why.

My mother has told me that she paid $700 18 years ago to get the name changed to 2 owners (unfortunately). The price is not so bad. At least you only have to pay once. With land tax you have to pay every year. Hopefully the price hasn't changed greatly from that amount. Changing back to one owner which I am going to do would be a better situation.

I think she is correct. It looks to getting to that stage as I have noticed homes have again increased by $200,000 in south sydney. Not a good sign for the land tax payer as the land valuers office take that into account and increase land values accordingly (and the increases tend not to be small either). Hopefully this doesn't happen this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back