Karratha Returns Resource Rocket

Apologies all for the delay in responding to the various posts. To answer KPH's initial query with regards to timing. I signed off off the plan in Sept 06. It took until the end of December for the land to be settled. Building commenced at the start of the year and is complete and handover by end June07. 730sq.m greentitle block in Millers Well.

As an investment strategy I also do like this approach as stamp duty (killer in greedy W>A) is less and although you are paying interest on your land loan and BICOE loan the property is already yours from day 1 and appreciates by the time the house is complete. This one at Karratha I bought off the plan for $598,000 with $1,000 deposit (all borrowed of course), SD was $6580 and total interest bill for all loans during construction phase =$20K. The agent valued it around $780-800,000. But at a yield of around 13% that cahs flow is going to fund the next in Perth this time. As Chris notes, land is very difficult to come by at Karratha. The govt hasn't kept up with issue of suitable land and thus put a squeeze on what's in the market. Commercial land too, I understand is even harder to come by. Even a gravel, fenced yard at KIE would be a great investment. These business needs somewhere to lay down a load or park their trucks.

The resource boom driven Karratha is driven by too many commodities. I honestly can't see it going bust for the next 20 years. Prices may flatten if the govt lifts their game but, when have you ever seen that happen either?

Cheers,
Roem

Still trying to place those properties in Millars Well... I think I know where they are.
(yes now I recall when RW special projects were after blocks to buy to package up with the H&L. We didn't think the numbers were real at the time but in hindsight we were wrong..again. If they are val'd. up at $780k to $800k tehn it makes the other stuff coming on the market in Tambrey and Nickol West more like $850k to $950k...unbelievable!)

The govt still haven't lifted their game. Its getting worse not better up here.

The first land release by ballot in Tambrey sold at an average of $140k per block.
Latest reval for bank last week came in at $270k for a Tambrey block.
They settled in January.

Next release in Nickol West averaged $180k per block.
Val for bank finance came back at $220k.
Never heard of that before so soon after a sale.
I guess effectively they are also worth closer to $260k ? ( they are a bit smaller than the Tambrey blocks)

Anyway, the place is starting to resemble tent city.
The council has allowed builders and the like to park caravans/buses on vacant site for up to 12 months while they construct houses... to house workers.. to build the houses.
Something was required to break the deadlock.

Last edited:
Hi Kev,

Yeah I noticed that last week when I was driving past......some of the guys were using a converted bus.

I'm sure it'll be fine for now........might get a bit interesting though when people start moving in.

ciao

Nor

Back