Keepers

Don't know if anyone else has been sent this email by friends but I received it yesterday & thought it hit the mark pretty well.

I grew up in the 40s/50s with practical parents. A mother, God love her, who
washed aluminum foil after she cooked in it, then reused it. She was the
original recycle queen, before they had a Name for it... A father who was
happier getting old shoes fixed than buying new ones.
Their marriage was good, their dreams focused. Their best friends lived
barely a wave away. I can see them now, Dad in trousers, tee shirt and a hat and Mom in a house dress, lawn mower in one hand, and dish-towel in the other.
It was the time for fixing things. A curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress Things we keep.
It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy.
All that re-fixing, eating, renewing, I wanted just once to be wasteful.
Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more.
But then my mother died, and on that clear summer's night, in the warmth of
the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any more.
Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away...never to return. So... while we have it... it's best we love it.... and care for it... and fix it when it's broken......! and heal it when it's sick.
This is true. for marriage..... and old cars.... and children with bad
report cards..... and dogs with bad hips.... and aging parents..... and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. Some things we keep. Like a best friend that moved away or a classmate we grew up with.
There are just some things that make life important, like people we know who
are special..... and so, we keep them close!
I received this from someone who thinks I am a'keeper', so I've sent it to
the people I think of in the same way.

JIM

PS. Dunc, I think there's even a place for Bedfords in there ;)

Last edited:
This is true. for marriage..... and old cars.... and children with bad
report cards..... and dogs with bad hips.... and aging parents..... and grandparents.

I'd cross out the old cars but the rest is OK.

Had a funny experience over the weekend when the key-board on my Mac started playing up. I don't think I spilt beer on it but decided to open it up and clean it just in case.

Went through a few hardware stores to find the wee allen key I needed ($10/set on special). Opened it up and there were 40 small phillips screws. After removing them I carefully cleaned the wafers but still managed to spill some bits. Putting it back together it was no different but I decided to have another go but more vigorously as I had nothing to lose. On reassembly twas still the same so I bought a new generic one for $15. I did little else all Sat morning. LOL Talk about false economy!:D

PS. Dunc, I think there's even a place for Bedfords in there ;)

I'm a keeper for sure :)..

I even bought a 38 year old ride on mower on the weekend, I could have bought a $5,000 one without blinking but instead I bought an old $300 one.. Someone else didnt want to keep it because it needs some work.. but I'll get it back into shape and it'll probably last me another 30 years :)

Hubby has just spent the last week scouring the kerbside rubbish in our area. He brought home bits of junk from lots of streets and has made the most amazing go-cart for the kids. It has brakes, seatbelts, a rollbar. He has had the best time, just like a big kid.

It replaces the old go-cart which is ten years old (also made from old junk) and is now too small for even the youngest.

Other people's junk is full of treasures. Only problem was trying to drive whilst looking at the treasure on the footpath.

Wylie

not just for go-carts ... i've found some pretty good stuff for furniture. my neighbour and i have a laugh about the pieces we scored that the other was eying off but had to drive home in the meantime for the 4wd to fit it in.

amazing what great cane furniture some people will throw away that, with a quick scrub of sugar soap and a paint up, comes up divine. apparently our suburb is really "hot" for collectors as, being fairly affluent, people tend to throw away good working stuff when they want to update rather than take the time to sell it for $20 (okay, i'm guilty too - but i know it will go to a worthy home).

Back