Kitchen - worth paying extra 1k for poly finish for IP?

Is it worth paying extra $1000 on a poly finish kitchen cupboards (compare to melamine) on a rental property? How long does melamine vs poly finish last?

I do laminate in rentals.. almost indestructable. Poly is great if you know it will be looked after (ie my new kitchen arrived on sat for ppor and its poly)

I would use poly.

I put in a poly kitchen 11 years ago.
Still looks good today. You can see light scratching when you shine a light against it (like those car buffering swirls in the sun), but overall it still looks better than a new laminate/melamine kitchen.

I do laminate in rentals.. almost indestructable. Poly is great if you know it will be looked after (ie my new kitchen arrived on sat for ppor and its poly)
Agree with Dave. Laminate is best for rentals - almost indestructable. Just make sure it has a good quality edging (not a cheap tape edging) and that the hinges/hardware are good quality. Or Bunnings do a vinyl wrap kitchen (doors/drawer fronts etc) which has a 10 year guarantee (is called Kaboodle).

Unless things have changed dramatically I would never do another vinyl wrapped kitchen.

kennyboi, is this the same property that you haven't spent one cent on for over 10 years? Why the change of heart? Why would you consider a high spec/poly kitchen when the tenants will only suffer grief if they do more than just look at it?

kennyboi, is this the same property that you haven't spent one cent on for over 10 years? Why the change of heart? Why would you consider a high spec/poly kitchen when the tenants will only suffer grief if they do more than just look at it?

Yes, that's the same property. I had started getting a granny flat to be built while vacant, so I thought it is also a good time to renovate. Different granny flat builders give me different opinion on their view to poly/melamine, so just like to get investor opinions here since their opinion could be bias.

Do you mean poly = vinyl wrapped kitchen?

don't normally here people refer to it as a "poly" finish
Generally just,
  • Two-pac (painted) - Nicest finish, but not as durable
  • Melamine - Cheapest finish (due to labour involved), durable, easier to replace
  • vinyl wrapped - also a nice finish, though vinyl wrapping doesn't have the best name in the industry
  • timber - expensive, but can look amazing

save your money

ide stick to the laminate why pay extra on a rental maximise return by spending the least amount of money on upgrades, if your looking for capital growth will it make a difference compared to the rest of house or will it stand out and look out of place

Back