Laminate vs polyurethane finish for bathroom vanity?

Hi all,

We are renovating our PPOR bathroom and we're not sure about the best type of finish for the vanity. Our choices seem to be a laminate finish (which gives us lots of colour choices), or a polyurethane/two pack (not sure of the correct terminology) finish, which is high gloss and generally comes in black or white (but I think some manufacturers do other colours for a price).

Apart from the colour choices I'm really interested in how they will hold up in the long term. We have 3 growing boys so we're expecting some rough treatment over the coming years :eek: My main concern is with the edges of the drawers - the laminate covered drawers have a 'sharp' edge where the laminate on the two sides join, and while the joins are sealed when you buy it, over time I expect they will be rubbed or scratched, which may allow moisture under them. The polyurethane finishes are seamless/rounded on the drawer edges, so they shouldn't have this problem. I believe the disadvantage of polyurethane is that it can chip - but I'm hoping that is less likely to happen than general wear and tear on the laminate edges :confused:

So has anyone had any (long term) experience with vanities or similar furniture with these finishes? All of the above is just based on my uninformed opinion, so maybe my concerns are unfounded - plenty of people seem to have laminate vanities and I can't find any stories on the internet that confirm my fears :)

Thanks.

John.

Hi all,

We are renovating our PPOR bathroom and we're not sure about the best type of finish for the vanity. Our choices seem to be a laminate finish (which gives us lots of colour choices), or a polyurethane/two pack (not sure of the correct terminology) finish, which is high gloss and generally comes in black or white (but I think some manufacturers do other colours for a price).

Apart from the colour choices I'm really interested in how they will hold up in the long term. We have 3 growing boys so we're expecting some rough treatment over the coming years :eek: My main concern is with the edges of the drawers - the laminate covered drawers have a 'sharp' edge where the laminate on the two sides join, and while the joins are sealed when you buy it, over time I expect they will be rubbed or scratched, which may allow moisture under them. The polyurethane finishes are seamless/rounded on the drawer edges, so they shouldn't have this problem. I believe the disadvantage of polyurethane is that it can chip - but I'm hoping that is less likely to happen than general wear and tear on the laminate edges :confused:

So has anyone had any (long term) experience with vanities or similar furniture with these finishes? All of the above is just based on my uninformed opinion, so maybe my concerns are unfounded - plenty of people seem to have laminate vanities and I can't find any stories on the internet that confirm my fears :)

Thanks.

John.

most if not all damage to cabinets is when end panels go to the floor ,moping, brushing, sweeping do more damage than rough play .poly can be painted in any colour ,its only restricted by who supply's the vanity.
both laminate and poly would last the same in a bathroom of course there will no doubt be some on this forum that have a different opinion to me .
if your situation affords it get a wall hung vanity and hide the pipe inside the back wall or have a tall kickboard (300mm plus)just deep enough to hide the downpipe

most if not all damage to cabinets is when end panels go to the floor ,moping, brushing, sweeping do more damage than rough play .poly can be painted in any colour ,its only restricted by who supply's the vanity.
both laminate and poly would last the same in a bathroom of course there will no doubt be some on this forum that have a different opinion to me .
if your situation affords it get a wall hung vanity and hide the pipe inside the back wall or have a tall kickboard (300mm plus)just deep enough to hide the downpipe

Thanks for that arms. I forgot to mention that we are going for a wall hung vanity for exactly the reasons you say. So you don't think the drawer edeges are particularly susceptible to damage - not just from bangs and bumps, but just long term wear and tear?

Although poly can be any colour, for some reason the manufacturuers don't give you that choice (apart from a small number of brands that are asking BIG $). Almost all the standard ones are black and/or white (e.g., http://www.novetec.com.au/product.asp?brandID=183&productID=1857). I guess they think that if you want the 'clean' look of a poly finish then you are also happy with a minimal colour palette (which isn't true in our case!). Most of the laminate covered ones tend to have a large range of standard colours, but you can usually also choose any laminex colour at a small extra cost.

John.

Are you using a joiner in Hobart or buying flat pack?

I have used Kam Joinery in Hobart with amazing results and prices.

I wouldn't use two pack.

Cheers

Are you using a joiner in Hobart or buying flat pack?

I have used Kam Joinery in Hobart with amazing results and prices.

I wouldn't use two pack.

Cheers

Haven't got that far yet - still just trying to decide what style we want. I'm not sure if we need a joiner though - are you saying it would be cheaper to get a vanity built by a joiner than buying one from a shop?

Can you explain why you wouldn't use two pack.

Hi John,

With 3 boys in the house, I'd tend to go for a laminate cabinet but with PVC edges (to doors/drawer fronts etc), not tape edging as you have described.

Most of the cheaper vanities do have tape edging but hopefully you can find something that suits (with the PVC edges) within your budget.

Arms may be able to comment on this further, but in my experience (15 years doing commercial office fit-out design) laminate wins hands down in the durability stakes.

Hope that helps.

Hi John,

With 3 boys in the house, I'd tend to go for a laminate cabinet but with PVC edges (to doors/drawer fronts etc), not tape edging as you have described.

Most of the cheaper vanities do have tape edging but hopefully you can find something that suits (with the PVC edges) within your budget.

Arms may be able to comment on this further, but in my experience (15 years doing commercial office fit-out design) laminate wins hands down in the durability stakes.

Hope that helps.

nowadays all flat panel edging is either pvc or abs .usually 1mm thick ,mostly applied with modern machinery using a hot melt glue applied at over 190 degrees with a urethane glue .
the old days of applying .4mm edge tape with a iron have been gone for a long time now.
thank god !!!!!

nowadays all flat panel edging is either pvc or abs .usually 1mm thick ,mostly applied with modern machinery using a hot melt glue applied at over 190 degrees with a urethane glue .
the old days of applying .4mm edge tape with a iron have been gone for a long time now.
thank god !!!!!

Thanks for this. I am more confused now though, as this is the first I've heard anything about PVC edges :eek: At least I've got something to ask next time we go to the bathroom shop!

Thanks for this. I am more confused now though, as this is the first I've heard anything about PVC edges :eek: At least I've got something to ask next time we go to the bathroom shop!

don't expect the floor staff to know the difference ,just look at the edges ,if about 1mm thick they will either be pvc if imported or abs if made locally .identical in look almost the same in performance ,no real difference in price :D

Back