Help choosing benchtop colour

The kitchenette of my IP needs a new benchtop with a quick turnaround between tenants. The benchtop is very small and nothing from Bunnings or other readymade suppliers suited.

I thought I would have to wait 2 weeks minimum and have it custom made, but my local Laminex supplier referred me to a kitchen maker who happened to have an offcut from another kitchen he had just done. The offcut was really similar to the colour I was looking for, and he could have the bench made up and installed in a week - perfect.

Just had a call from the kitchen guy and, when he's had a close look at the offcut, he's seen it's damaged at one end and he'll have to join two bits of Laminex together. The bench is only 1100 by 600, and the join will be 200mm from one end. Obviously that is not ideal.

But he did have another offcut in another colour which he could use as one piece. (The remainder had been used in a retirement village).

So, here's the choice:

http://estore.thelaminexgroup.com.a...708&itm_index=520&orderQty=1&cust_item=915664
Called Coral but looks like a peachy cream to my eye - this would be in one piece.

http://www.laminex.com.au/colour-palette.php#!/colour-palette/pure-mineralstone
This was my first choice, but would have the join I mentioned.

I'm thinking the joined bench will look like I'm cutting corners, even though the colour is very nice (I have a swatch and matched it to the other surfaces in the kitchen).

However, the Coral colour will not go as well with the rest of the room to my eye - freshly painted white timber cupboards, chrome handles, grey tiled splashback and walls in Duluxe Antique White USA. Cannot look at a swatch till Monday and the kitchen guy would like to start on the laminating tomorrow, with a view to installing early next week.

The unit will rent out at $400/week for a one-bedder; it's in Manly, Sydney, and the likely tenant will be a single person with a good job and maybe high expectations at that price? I have just repainted and carpeted throughout with good quality stuff.

Any thoughts?

My initial thought is that rushed decisions can often end badly and you're making a decision on colours without looking at swatches etc. I'd wait til Monday personally.

The coral looks like something from a bad 1990's gold coast motel. Just needs wicker furniture and a glass top table to complete it.

I feared that, DaveM, but it is such a small area and once the kettle and canisters and stuff are spread around I was hoping it would be less offensive. The unit block is 1960s era, with a somewhat retro feel, but there's retro and there's retro. The bathroom is original 60s (with a new vanity) with charcoal and pink tiles, but it looks very funky.

I am hoping I can take a drive to the retirement village to see if I can see the kitchen there against my carpet and paint swatches - could possibly do that tomorrow. I can see why this colour was chosen for a retirement village.....

There's no question the 2nd colour is better, but it would have a noticeable join, so is it overall a better choice, taking the join into consideration?

Travel bug, the bench is not perfectly square and needs to be custom-made because of other irregularities in the shape.

To order new laminex means a delay of one week to 10 days, and the cost will go up at least 50%. I am effectively getting use of the offcut material for a nominal fee, the rest being labour of cutting the board to size and applying the laminex and then installing.

Ugh I don't like the first one at all - it is a very retirement home colour :)

I have used the mineral stone before in diamond gloss too and it is lovely.

Does the cabinet maker have anymore friends in the trade who might have an off cut?

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 921
Back