Land titles.

Hi, My parents own ten acres, with two titles (one title is on half an acre, the other title is on the other nine and a half). They want to change the titles into 5 acres each, for my brother and me.
Can they legally do this? I want to build a house on my five for my son and myself, but the council said we are not allowed to, is this true? I am in South Australia and in The City of Playford Council. Any help or suggestions to get around the situation would be greatly appreciated. :confused: :)
Cheers. Remlot.

I'm in Qld so not sure if this info is applicable to SA.

In Qld you would go for a Realignment of Boundary, and get the boundary moved so there are 2, 5 acre lots. That's the easy bit. But it may not be that simple.

Now where are these lots and what are they zoned? If Rural then it may be that your local council has minimum size restrictions on how land can be subdivided and/or where you can build. In Qld, govt tries to keep good quality ag land to minimum sizes such that a living can likely be gained off it if it is rural. Councils can also set minimum size limits.

But you are in a city? So is it Rural or something else? Or is it Flood perhaps? You need to go back to your council and find out the specific details of why you can't build there. But certainly your parents should be able to realign the boundary.

Best speak to a land surveyor, they can help you out, I think you should be able to do 5 acres and 5 acres but if not, as suggested maybe 5 acres and 4.5 can work.

What you can build on the land depends on what it is zoned. If you have spoken to council, and the planning department said you cannot build a house, then it sounds like you cant, they would know.

Get a property report (free) from the link below;

http://services.land.vic.gov.au/landchannel/jsp/reports/ReportsIntro.jsp

Back