Landlord's claim affect premiums?

Hi, tenant accidentally broke glass stove, asking me to claim on landlord's and they will pay excess.

Does this affect me in teh future with premiums or any other way?
Can i get the PM to sort out the claim?

Thanks

PM should definitely handle the claim, they need to earn their fees.

As to whether it increases the premium , read the documentation or ask the insurer.

So i gave them a ring, they just said i lose my no claim bonus...but i've only had the property got 2months. Would have been 5% at next renewal

Which insurer?
How does 5% compare to the amount you're claiming?
Does it return to normal price the following year?

Have the PM politely decline the request.
As the tenant can't insure the oven, because it's the landlord's, if the landlord declines to lodge a claim, then I would think the maximum that the landlord could claim towards the repair would be the excess.

As the tenant can't insure the oven, because it's the landlord's, if the landlord declines to lodge a claim, then I would think the maximum that the landlord could claim towards the repair would be the excess.

I guess compare all the costs involved with that (excess, premium increase, etc) with replacement?

I guess compare all the costs involved with that (excess, premium increase, etc) with replacement?
Yes, if I'm right. Have asked thatbum to chime in, because I think I remember that from somewhere but I'm not sure.

The owner
Under the Residential Tenancies Act (1987) WA (s.42), the owner must:

provide the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness;
provide and maintain the property in a reasonable state of repair, consistent with the age, character and life expectancy of the property; and
comply with all building, health and safety regulations that relate to the property.
The owner?s responsibilities outlined above extend to the chattels provided with the property, for example whitegoods and furniture.

However, under s. 82 of the Residential Tenancies Act, the owner/agent can ?contract out? of some of their above responsibilities.

The term ?contracting out? refers to clauses that can be included in your written Tenancy Agreement that change your tenancy rights as set out in the Residential Tenancies Act.

For example, the owner/agent may ?contract out? of their responsibility to carry out maintenance and repairs by stating in the Tenancy Agreement:

that the tenant must maintain the property; or
that the tenant accepts the tenancy in an ?as is? condition.

Nah there's no obligation on a landlord to use the landlord's insurance in a situation where a landlord can claim directly from the tenant.

I would probably wouldn't use it myself if I thought I could claim from the tenant and they actually had capacity to pay. Both of which sometimes are not certain.

Which is where insurance can be useful.

Nah there's no obligation on a landlord to use the landlord's insurance in a situation where a landlord can claim directly from the tenant.

I would probably wouldn't use it myself if I thought I could claim from the tenant and they actually had capacity to pay. Both of which sometimes are not certain.

Which is where insurance can be useful.
Cool, thanks. Are tenants responsible for all accidental damage? The Act seems to refer only to damage caused intentionally or negligently. Or are all accidents assumed to involve "negligence"?

Cool, thanks. Are tenants responsible for all accidental damage? The Act seems to refer only to damage caused intentionally or negligently. Or are all accidents assumed to involve "negligence"?

"Accidental" doesn't have any special legal meaning in this context.

Tenants are only responsible for damage they cause intentionally or negligently.

What is negligent really depends on the circumstances, but can be a wide definition in the context of a residential tenancy. But it can depend on the Tribunal/Magistrate's interpretation on the day.

I made a claim a year ago with a smaller provider.

Client accidentally hooked up washing machine incorrectly and flooded half the house when they weren't home.

The insurance company paid out - but they ended up jacking the premiums up later.

Cheers

Jamie

Which is why wherever possible a landlord should not allow the tenant to use their insurances to pay regardless whether the damage is accidental or not.

Yep, I have also claimed a storm damage and premiums went up after that (Allianz)

Unfortunately a lot of Insurers do tend to increase premiums based on even a single claim, but not all do. I can't speak for others, but our RentCover products don't work that way at all, it is more on a whole State basis, or in fact even more on a whole portfolio basis.

It is possible that in extreme cases we will look at individual landlords where on an ongoing basis claims appear to be well out of the norm, but definitely no increasing of premiums on individual properties because there has been a claim.

Back