Landscaping PPOR

My front yard (which is tiny and half council verge is in desperate need of a makeover. Although I am not intending to sell, given health concerns it may be a possibility so I want something that will add value as well as be easy care for now.

House value is somewhere 800-850. Any ideas on how much to spend without overcapitalising. TO date I have hardly spent anything on it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Have you considered artificial grass with well placed ornamental features and some plants.

Depending on the sq meters involved should be doable for a few thousand.

Can you post some images up?
What are the dimensions?
Any particular features of note? Privacy needed? Style of house?
Budget?

House is 14 years old. Its a clay brick almost limestone look with red brick feature bricks on window ledges. Half the front is paved for parking in terracotta colour with charcoal feature brick. Its about 35 sq metres. neighbours have put articial lawn on their verges, except for one who has tiny patch of lawn and native garden. I want to have enough greenery to keep the place cool. Its a tiny cul-d-sac with very little greenery.

I have had native garden before. Now I am thinking of getting a stonemason to do a raised garden bed in expensive granite to create a rustic look. Then I was going to put mature tree in bed, some paving and low level plants (no lawn).

The budget is pretty flexible (plenty of redraw on loans).....but as I mentioned its more about not spending too much from a resale point of view.

API Magazine December edition had a neat 3-page article on just this topic. I think for your value bracket the suggested figure was around 5% of value should be spent on landscaping.

The most important thing about your landscaping is that it's neat and tidy ... no scruffy or leggy plants and definitely no weeds.

Also need adjustment in height at various stages - and you're best friend is "mass planting".

Personally ... not seeing any photos ... a decent sized front porch/veranda - freshly painted front door - a couple of pots defining the front door - a wide paved path leading to such - a large mature tree to one side to balance the parking area - mass planting in something that is hardy and suitable for your style of house and area (giant kangaroo paw - gardenias - whatever is suitable) - edging in something like mondo grass or seaside daisies - chuck in some mass plantings of herbs like rosemary - and mulch everything.

Don't let the plants smother the house tho.

Oh - and perhaps a new letterbox - something simple and rustic if that's what you're after ... I saw one that was inset into some upright railways sleepers that looked pretty good

And when I say "mass planting" not two or three plants - but 20 or so.

Why do you feel you need a raised garden bed?

Check with council to see if you can plant on the nature strip - and most won't allow it ... if not ... keep your lawn tidy (and buyers do like a bit of grass) ... it's easier and quicker to give the edge a quick trim every time you mow, than to struggle with thick, leggy runners every second month

Thanks Lizzie and C-mac.

The local council will allow verge planting and actually encourages it. I like mass plantings. The original garden had a lot of natives partly funded by council.

I was thinking of raised bed as a feature to contain the tree. Soil is very poor. Thought could build up the garden bed with better soil and plant low plants like liriope underneath the tree.

I think the letterbox is a good idea. I have a limestone one from bunnings. I could have that build in the stone.

That is interesting about the 5%. Could do a lot for 40K!

http://www.cstonec.com/Products/Toodyay-Stone.html

this is one type of stone I like (not this high though).

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-32...m4!1e1!3m2!1sKqZS-3aWGnrKDzNMjMFB3A!2e0?hl=en
data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKqZS-3aWGnrKDzNMjMFB3A!2e0

Back