landscaping / Roof re-spray tax deducability

Hello all,

Had a question that you might be able to shed some light on.

My Current PPOR will be leased in the near future (late 2008/ early 09)
im planning on getting some minor landscaping down by our gardener and having the tile roof resprayed by a family friend

Landscaping ($1500)
Roof respray (not obtained quote yet)

Could you folk advise if i should have the work performed after it turns into an IP (before leased) or still while it is my PPOR? I have also emailed this question to my tax agent (probably won't respond until monday 17th) and will post her reply as well for others to reference.

Would the tax deducability be on my income OR add to the purchase price of the house (eg 335,000 + 1500 + what ever roof costs) so offset future CGT

Thanks in advance,

Ridin-High

the landscaping would definitely fall under capital and therefore not deductible straight away.

The roof could be classified as either, depending on whether it was a repair (deductible) or you're simply trying to make it look better (capital)

For the roof spray to be a repair, the property will have to be available for rent (i.e. listed), and the spray should not be an "improvement" - i.e. bringing back to original state.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Is the lanscaping 'soft landscaping' i.e. plants, turf etc? No claim there.
Or is it 'hard landscaping' i.e. concrete paths, retaining walls etc? That's 2.5%.
Scott

Back