Latest Melbourne Median Strong Tops $600,000!

And now for some counter balance...an excerpt of Money Matter's retort:

Yep, house prices in Sydney and Melbourne are considerably more expensive than other major cities. And, whereas prices-to-income ratios in other major cities have largely stabilised, in Sydney and Melbourne the ratios have gotten much worse.
But how does that gel when we claim house prices have already started to fall?
It’s simple. Right now, many sellers falsely believe house prices will recover. So they’re holding on… for dear life. They’re still in a dreamland thinking they’ll get the same price that sellers were getting two or three years ago.
But soon enough they’ll start to sell, and those figures will filter through to the dodgy house price indices. And eventually the numbers will even start to show in the Demographia survey.
That’s when sellers will figure out the glory days have gone. And that’s when you’ll get the rush to the exit. Especially when the fabled baby-boomers start flooding the market with their un-mortgaged properties.
What do they care whether they sell for $600,000 or $500,000 when they bought the house for $50,000 thirty years ago? OK, they will care, because it’ll be a big chunk out of their retirement savings. But the point is, once they get it that house prices don’t always go up, they’ll sell as soon as you can blink.
But, The Age article did get one thing right:
“Australian house prices are expected to finish this year flat, amid signs that a slowdown in price gains could become ‘entrenched’, according to ANZ.”
The bit they got right is the ‘entrenched’ part… not the house prices finishing flat this year. House prices will finish the year lower. There’s no doubt about that.
What will become entrenched is the realisation that house prices don’t always go up. Investors and buyers have already started to figure that one out. And the longer prices stay where they are, the more convinced buyers will be that there’s no rush to tuck into the market.
That’s happened in the UK and US where property buyers no longer see housing as a get-rich-quick money-making goldmine.

i agree with you on some aspects but each city and suburb is different. Take balwyn in melbourne for example -there is a waiting list of buyers every year just waiting on decent properties so they can get into the school zone. Where else you head to clayton, melbourne - and that's not much activity. Doesn't mean the price to income ratio has gotten worse, - everything would fall, people will just move out to outher suburbs or take long train rides to work.

annual growth rates on quarterly medians is folly.

a quarterly median is even more volatile than the median.

so a few luxury places got snapped up over the break, and a few FHB's were in bali during the same period....voila! median jumps 6.7%.

i just got a list of properties sold in docklands 2011. there are some in the 500K mark, 1.1million mark, 700K mark. i'm no fan of this place and i reckon it is bad investment but there are still people buying although not like last year.

i agree with you on some aspects but each city and suburb is different. Take balwyn in melbourne for example -there is a waiting list of buyers every year just waiting on decent properties so they can get into the school zone. Where else you head to clayton, melbourne - and that's not much activity. Doesn't mean the price to income ratio has gotten worse, - everything would fall, people will just move out to outher suburbs or take long train rides to work.

Balwyn now commands premium suburb prices - yet if you're someone who can afford premium prices would you really need to send your kids to a public school?

Lots of naysayers on this thread, and they all purport to understand the dynamics of medians.

Medians can be skewed one way or the other when there are a very small number of total sales. However, this is not the case for a whole city where there are many, many sales.

Like it or hate it, the median for Melbourne is still very strong. It is mendacious to suggest anything else. I don't claim to know where its headed next - personally I'd prefer if it would fall. But it looks increasingly likely that there will be no fall, maybe some flat-lining at best

I wonder how many of the participants on this thread own more than one IP?
Yeah guys, I too wish prices will fall so we can grab a few more cheapies. But it doesn't look like its going to happen anytime soon.

Balwyn now commands premium suburb prices - yet if you're someone who can afford premium prices would you really need to send your kids to a public school?

LIke you probably already know - chinese like to group together among chinese - so balywn is ideal. quick drive to doncaster or box hill for some food and also possibly mingle with other overseas chinese.

There was that china lady who bought 3 mansions in brighton coz her kids studied there.

LIke you probably already know - chinese like to group together among chinese - so balywn is ideal. quick drive to doncaster or box hill for some food and also possibly mingle with other overseas chinese.

There was that china lady who bought 3 mansions in brighton coz her kids studied there.

Interesting. Immigrants clearly bring a lot of money into the country.

Lots of naysayers on this thread, and they all purport to understand the dynamics of medians.

Nothing false about my understanding... Prob & Stats domain is now my professional specialization... currently brings in multi six figure package... happy to discuss medians all day long :rolleyes:

Medians can be skewed one way or the other when there are a very small number of total sales. However, this is not the case for a whole city where there are many, many sales.

Not the case for a whole city? Perhaps some grade school maths is in order, coupled with a dose of current market reality.

Like it or hate it, the median for Melbourne is still very strong. It is mendacious to suggest anything else. I don't claim to know where its headed next - personally I'd prefer if it would fall. But it looks increasingly likely that there will be no fall, maybe some flat-lining at best

Mendacious? If you read what people have said regarding the correlation of medians to market cycles, perhaps the "naysayers" (as you say) might shed a little broader perspective beyond the tunnel... I believe a little self reflection is in order.

I wonder how many of the participants on this thread own more than one IP?
Yeah guys, I too wish prices will fall so we can grab a few more cheapies. But it doesn't look like its going to happen anytime soon.

Ah, that old chestnut. How many? Some of us dabble in CIPs as well Padawan... So perhaps, your analogy of number of IPs to your inference of "having a clue" is fundamentally flawed. You are using the wrong measuring stick, IMHO.

Of course, you will refute every word, not that it will bother me per se, because my response is only to provide balance to the discussion.

Prob & Stats domain is now my professional specialization... currently brings in multi six figure package...

Oh the hubris of you sci fi fans! *giggle* You are the first one to boast of his income in this thread. That said, how nice that you have so much time to spare to share your erudition with us.

I believe a little self reflection is in order.

Et tu.

Of course, you will refute every word, not that it will bother me per se, because my response is only to provide balance to the discussion.

Diversity and balance are good things and your views are welcome, even if you sound like some kind of raving conspiracy theorist. The median does not lie when there are so many samples - like it or not, Melbourne is looking increasingly pricey, with no sign of prices crashing. Shooting the messenger is hardly a valid scientific argument.

I will be the last one to suggest that the market is going to skyrocket. But those doom & gloom merchants who say it will crash are like stopped clocks - being right a couple of times a day does not mean they are right about the state of the current market. God knows, they were pretty wrong about the GFC and I'll bet they are wrong about the current market.

OK Indifference, why don't you digest the upper quartile and lower quartile numbers of the latest Melb results to prove your point? I dare you. If the REIV won't provide the numbers, I'm sure RP data or Rismark will oblige - no shortage of PhDs in both these organizations. Not sure what they earn though *wink*

Not always. One suburb I know very well (mine :D) had a median jump of 26% last year, based on similar sales to the year before.

I can tell you now, not only did they not go up 26%, they didn't go up at all.

The year before unit and townhouse prices went through the roof and were selling like hotcakes (the sub 350K seemed to be the only market very active that year throughout the city and suburbs), while the expensive homes were selling slowly.

Last year the units having reached a peak weren't selling and the upper end picked up sales wise compared to the previous year.

I think with less FHB out there in the later part of the year, the second and third homebuyers pushed up the median.

With a trend like this, especially with FHB numbers diminishing in many suburbs, I believe it can affect a city median.

Originally Posted by Ausprop
And now for some counter balance...an excerpt of Money Matter's retort:

Yep, house prices in Sydney and Melbourne are considerably more expensive than other major cities. And, whereas prices-to-income ratios in other major cities have largely stabilised, in Sydney and Melbourne the ratios have gotten much worse.
But how does that gel when we claim house prices have already started to fall?
It’s simple. Right now, many sellers falsely believe house prices will recover. So they’re holding on… for dear life. They’re still in a dreamland thinking they’ll get the same price that sellers were getting two or three years ago.
But soon enough they’ll start to sell, and those figures will filter through to the dodgy house price indices. And eventually the numbers will even start to show in the Demographia survey.
That’s when sellers will figure out the glory days have gone. And that’s when you’ll get the rush to the exit. Especially when the fabled baby-boomers start flooding the market with their un-mortgaged properties.
What do they care whether they sell for $600,000 or $500,000 when they bought the house for $50,000 thirty years ago? OK, they will care, because it’ll be a big chunk out of their retirement savings. But the point is, once they get it that house prices don’t always go up, they’ll sell as soon as you can blink.
But, The Age article did get one thing right:
“Australian house prices are expected to finish this year flat, amid signs that a slowdown in price gains could become ‘entrenched’, according to ANZ.”
The bit they got right is the ‘entrenched’ part… not the house prices finishing flat this year. House prices will finish the year lower. There’s no doubt about that.
What will become entrenched is the realisation that house prices don’t always go up. Investors and buyers have already started to figure that one out. And the longer prices stay where they are, the more convinced buyers will be that there’s no rush to tuck into the market.
That’s happened in the UK and US where property buyers .

I agree with a lot of this, and I see investors looking at cash flow positive properties as the preferred method when they no longer see housing as a get-rich-quick money-making goldmine.

They say it takes sellers 6 month of conditioning to readjust prices when in a buyers market.

2011 and 2012 will certainly be interesting years imo.

Last edited:
Not always. One suburb I know very well (mine :D) had a median jump of 26% last year, based on similar sales to the year before.

Yes, medians can be misleading when looking at suburbs with a limited number of sales. But when you add up all the sales in a large city - and there are many thousands of sales in a city - its hard to argue that the result is biased just because a few rich people bought-up the top end of the market.

FHB numbers diminishing in many suburbs, I believe it can affect a city median. .

With immigration at record highs, I suspect that there will be a lot more FH buyers that surface. Not all qualify for the grant BTW, so looking at grant recipient numbers can be very misleading.

But point taken, I respect your view that the market will fall. Everyone has their opinion and you are entitled to yours. On my part, I wish the market would fall so I can buy a few more cheapies! But I'm not sanguine of it happening anytime soon.

Recently released data from RP Data-Rismark.

Based on more than 357,000 sales in 2010, the market-leading RP Data-Rismark Hedonic Home Value Index reported modest 4.7 per cent growth over the 2010 calendar year across Australia’s combined capital cities, which was in line with Rismark and RP Data’s original forecasts.

Melbourne dwelling values led the way in the December quarter with 1.1 per cent capital growth
Aussie dwelling values tread water in December

The Melbourne December quarter growth of 1.1% reported from the RP Data-Rismark index and the 6.9% figure reported from the REIV reveal the problems that can happen when using median data.

The Melbourne December quarter growth of 1.1% reported from the RP Data-Rismark index and the 6.9% figure reported from the REIV reveal the problems that can happen when using median data.

The other real problem is anything published by REIV. Their only agenda is to keep pushing prices so REAs can rake in more $$$s

Back