Lazy PM - a renters's perspective

I am not yet a property owner, but plan to be in the future.

I have been renting the same property for over 3 years now and think I'm a very good tennant (always pay on time, pass inspections with flying colours, didn't seek a rent reduction when the apartment was flooded due to weather, etc etc) but the one thing I am finding very frustrating is the crap property management

In August 07 I recieved a letter notifying me the lease was due for renewal and asking me if I wanted to re-sign for 12 months and notifying of a rent increase. I sent it back ASAP saying yes. It is now almost March and still no new lease. I have left countless messages and sent many emials to the property manager but still no lease (although of course, the increase in rent started in September)

I don;t know what else to do to get the lease. I'm really annoyed. And I have a friend who rents through the same agency and is in the same boat. they are just hopeless.

And from the landlord's point of view, the property manager hasn't inspected the place in over a year. If and went I own a IP I will NEVER go through these agents. I'm sure the landlord has no idea about any of this.

any suggestions?

Foxygirl, sometimes (but not always) in the lease documents, the agent actually has your LL's details (address). If so, you could send a letter? Or you could do a title search if you are inclined and get their details? Or could contact the RE office and ask the sales people that you would like to make an offer for the property, which will mean that they will definitely get at least some contact with the PM area happening

Hi there
for what it is worth - I think you have a contract for the property for a further 12 months.
The agent made an offer to you (on the landlord's behalf) to have you re-sign for a further 12 months subject to a rental increase. You accepted that offer and have acted in accordance with the offer (i.e. paid the increased rental). You have a rental contract both in writing and by actions.
I note that we have a property in the ACT rolling over every 12 months - we don't enter into a formal lease each time - but just have something in writing which extends the existing arrangement for a further 12 months. Also we don't have a PM in Canberra but self manage. It is the one place we haven't been able to get a manager we were really happy with. Just out of interest could you PM me with who is the rental manager - as I want to make sure I never approach them regarding our property.
thanks

I am not yet a property owner, but plan to be in the future.

I have been renting the same property for over 3 years now and think I'm a very good tennant (always pay on time, pass inspections with flying colours, didn't seek a rent reduction when the apartment was flooded due to weather, etc etc) but the one thing I am finding very frustrating is the crap property management

In August 07 I recieved a letter notifying me the lease was due for renewal and asking me if I wanted to re-sign for 12 months and notifying of a rent increase. I sent it back ASAP saying yes. It is now almost March and still no new lease. I have left countless messages and sent many emials to the property manager but still no lease (although of course, the increase in rent started in September)

I don;t know what else to do to get the lease. I'm really annoyed. And I have a friend who rents through the same agency and is in the same boat. they are just hopeless.

And from the landlord's point of view, the property manager hasn't inspected the place in over a year. If and went I own a IP I will NEVER go through these agents. I'm sure the landlord has no idea about any of this.

any suggestions?

We have 2 of our properties managed by the same agency, and we have requested that they only ever do inspections at the end of a tenancy when the tenant leaves.

Why? Because the agency is in W.A, where for some reason theses b@stards can charge for everything under the sun, over and above their management fee, which to me should be inclusive of inspections and various other stuff.

Their inspections are $55, plus a condition report at $35, and they want to do it every 3 months. :eek:

The result is usually that they tell me that the tenant is looking after the property (as they should), or there is something that needs looking at (and the tenant usually lets them know about it anyway).

It is a total waste of money. None of our other PM's charge for inspections, so they are done twice per year. This gives the tenant some peace as well.

So, maybe your landlord has requested no inspections for similar reasons.

The contract is still in place whether you have a copy of it or not.

To tie up lose ends you should have a written copy of the new lease and so should the landlord but at least they were working in the landlords favour regarding the rent increase.

The landlord should also know that inspection reports have not been sent to them for over a year. They should be aware of both issues.

You may have been identified as a resonsible tenant wrt the inspections so they do them less often. We have one or 2 of them in our books, they are great :D

Most other tenants are inspected every 3 months!

Why? Because the agency is in W.A, where for some reason theses b@stards can charge for everything under the sun, over and above their management fee, which to me should be inclusive of inspections and various other stuff.

Their inspections are $55, plus a condition report at $35, and they want to do it every 3 months. :eek:

This is the sole reason that I have never even thought about purchasing in WA. Someone is getting rich, & it doesn't seem to be the Landlords.

Back