Let's not be too down on ourselves

It's a natural tendency to believe the grass is greener elsewhere and the sociey and economy around us is always worse than in the past, but more telling is what others think of us.

And it's a lot rosier than some locals would have you believe.

So let's not be too down on ourselves and think about the positives, not the negatives.

From a highly respected US publication:
"A decade ago, Woolloomooloo Wharf stood as a derelict eyesore from an earlier era. Now it glitters with a Taj hotel, a top restaurant, and loft-style condominiums popular with actors like Russell Crowe. Indeed, Sydney's waterfront is thriving, boasting amenities such as doggie day care, $10 lattes, and a superyacht marina. For 15 years, Australia has grown at an average 3.7 percent clip without any sign of recession. The stock market is up 37 percent this year, and, last week, registered a record number of trades. The boom has slashed unemployment, doubled the country's wealth, and taken care of all but pocket change on its debt. The success has bolstered the political fortunes of Prime Minister John Howard, who just marked 10 years in power. Yet it goes deeper than one man's stewardship. Few countries have better leveraged globalization than Australia - transforming a once-isolated market into one that's taking full advantage of Asia's, and particularly China's, dynamism."
Source: http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0307/p01s03-wogi.html

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Stewie said:
$10 lattes :eek: I don't call that progress, I call that a freekin' rip off!!

It's progress for the cafe operators making a huge markup on their coffee, or on the cafe landlords charging huge rents to the cafe operators (or the PM, making a killing on the PM fees the charge the landlord, or ......) :)

It's funny that we measure our success based on individualism such as 'doggy day care' and 'superyacht marina's' and conveniently ignore the health of the collective. I read an article recently (will try to find the link) that says that $1 invested in the health and wellbeing of a child today will reap an $18 dividend for the community in the future due to that child growing up into a more balanced and successful person. The author felt that the only way to get his message across was to ensure that his findings could be converted into $'s.

Sorry for hijacking your post Aceyducey, but I feel that the way we measure our 'success' is a little too economically based and as a result much of what makes us tick gets ignored. We need to start developing more society-based measures as a way of determining our success as a community.

I believe that by having a strong, wealthy economy is the best way to then move to a society based measure of success. With money we can provide better fairer wellfare and look after the neglected kids.

The US system though is not the way. Too unfair. too much wealth and poverty in the one spot.

The European system is too far the other way. Wellfare costs are ruining the economies.

I reckon it is about right in this country how it is.

That's a good article Accey. I agree.

See ya's.

Stewie said:
The author felt that the only way to get his message across was to ensure that his findings could be converted into $'s.

If you had lived in the US, you would understand why money is so much mentioned.

I lived in the US and found their focus on money (and television and cars) far too much.

I lived in Europe and found their ability to change is limited by traditions and entrenched groups.

I agree with topcropper. Australia is a nice balance between the two. That's why I chose to migrate here. :)

Cheers,

HK, I too have lived in the UK, Europe and the USA. I agree with what you and Topcropper are saying - Australia is a fantastic place to live :)

The USA has an insane fascination with money, whilst the UK, I believe, is not that far behind. And I couldn't agree more with your comment about Europeans being so steeped in tradition that it hinders them!

My concern is that if we are not careful we will join the UK in its march towards eveything American (read money = happiness). For goodness sake, when did you ever hear of an Australian putting their dogs in day care, let alone paying $10 for a frothy coffee? Next, these pampered poodle owners will be calling for support from the government because their doggy day care is getting too expensive!!

Just my thoughts...:)

Stewie said:
The USA has an insane fascination with money, whilst the UK, I believe, is not that far behind.

Though have you seen stats on American incomes and wealth?

I haven't a reference, but when I last looked their incomes were higher (grossly higher for professionals) but their median household wealth was surprisingly low.

Which must indicate either extreme inequality and/or a poor saving ethic in the US of A.

Although note that their property boom hasn't been as big as our most recent, so that could be one reason why Aussies appear wealthy in comparison (our median is approx $250k either per capita or per household - can't remember which).

Peter

Peter, I read 'United States of Anger' by Gavin Esler, a BBC News Correspondent who toured the USA interviewing people. In his book he states that 1 in 12 families live in a trailer home and that 1 in 8 American children goes to bed hungry. I think there is a HUGE division of wealth in that country and whilst we continue to measure the 'success' of a country on financial measures such as GDP, Growth etc to the exclusion of other 'soft' measures things can only get worse.

Aceyducey said:
It's a natural tendency to believe the grass is greener elsewhere and the sociey and economy around us is always worse than in the past, but more telling is what others think of us.

And it's a lot rosier than some locals would have you believe.

So let's not be too down on ourselves and think about the positives, not the negatives.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Well said.

Even Her Gracious Majesty (QE2) has given us a wrap recently. There is a hell of a lot we are doing well at the present.

Even heard a Canadian talking about just how well we do major sport events.

The Commonwealth Games will go off without a drama from tonight.

GarryK

Back