lino or carpet in rental?

Wwyd

4bdr family home for renovation on a budget. Owners want to on a minimal budget to get the place rentable. Its currently a mess

The current floating floorbaords will be torn up

Its a quite big. The 4bdrs plus living plus dining total 120sqm

They were suggesting diy lino. But at 7.5 per sqm plus cheap labour probably brings it up to 2000

And i thought maybe a cheap professional carpet job dor say 2.5k would make it look better and warmer.

The lino will look good but will be cold and hard as its going directly on the slab. Esepcially the bdrs

Howeevr as everyone knows carpet stains and tears esepcially if a rental. Lino can easily scratch but patches can be replaced if need to
what would people do?

Unless glued with a backing board, lino will rip unless its a thick quality lino (ie not cheap).

My suggestion is a decent quality solution dyed nylon carpet. Very stain and cleaning resistant, lasts much better than polyprop carpets. Have a hunt around and see what you can get on special.

Otherwise I would do floating floors again.

I thought it would have been bamboo - cheap, hard as hell, easy to lay. But my flooring guy advised against it - he said it's still easy to scratch, even with a really high janka rating, and if your original surface isn't perfectly level it adds a lot of extra time to the install.

So he recommended some cheap commercial grade carpet for rentals.

Why are the floating floorboards being ripped up?

As Dave said, cheap Lino is no good - and if it is really cheap and not laid properly it can look pretty poor. No point spending the money to renovate, if you're replacing with bad quality flooring.

Unless you are in a cheaper area where you expect to hose out the place you will limit your pool of tenants with vinyl.

Cheap carpet (even from end of rolls etc) it doesn't need to match in every room (or match the curtains).

Thabks guys

Fbs getting ripped up cos they are all warped and theres gaps between the ends

Whats the going rate for cheap decent carpet per sqm
ive been told 20 per sqm is possible but all online quotes seem to be 5k

If it helps. The underlay is still there

For me it depends where.

In Canberra, where the winters are cold, carpets in bedrooms are a necessity.

In Brisbane a hard floor would be acceptable.

Carpets have a shorter lifetime than some other floor coverings.

Wwyd

4bdr family home for renovation on a budget. Owners want to on a minimal budget to get the place rentable. Its currently a mess

The current floating floorbaords will be torn up

Its a quite big. The 4bdrs plus living plus dining total 120sqm

They were suggesting diy lino. But at 7.5 per sqm plus cheap labour probably brings it up to 2000

And i thought maybe a cheap professional carpet job dor say 2.5k would make it look better and warmer.

The lino will look good but will be cold and hard as its going directly on the slab. Esepcially the bdrs

Howeevr as everyone knows carpet stains and tears esepcially if a rental. Lino can easily scratch but patches can be replaced if need to
what would people do?

Being using Heuga carpet tiles for a long time now,and the simple part about the tile system is once a area gets the worn look you just transfer the tiles from around the architrave areas into the worn area,very easy fix up time..imho..

yeah thanks every one, im looking at a cheap carpet option now throughout, not sure whether to keep the living room eihter floating FBs or lino or full carpet, as I feel that using two different materials increases costs big time

as for carpet tiles, I did investigate a while back and found they end up quite pricey as well

We used to have carpet in our living areas, we've replaced them with vinyl tiles in the family area, floating floor in the lounge area. Carpet got too dirty too quickly- and in a rental, the life time won't be good. Floating floor can look great. Don't just look at the short term cost- you will have to replace carpet more quickly than other floor surfaces, especially in high traffic areas. Don't go too cheap with floating floor like we did in a rental- it damages too easily. Better quality floors are much harder.

Back