Little old picture theatre

Hi All
I came across a little old picture theatre the other day which is up for lease.
A few details.
It has not operated as a theatre for a long time.
It is in a booming area.Families and boomers
Main street , forshore area.
A new trendy bar/bistro opened up directly across the street.
It is on a very very busy intersection
I think it maybe heritage listed so they wouldn,t allow putting in big windows ect.

The reason for my post is that l was wondering what bright ideas of businesses forumites could come up with to operate in the theatre.

I thought maybe a good old dance hall as dancing is having a huge revival at present.
I know it would be good as a nightclub.[l hate loud headbanging music]
Anyway throw in your 2 bobs worth.
Add value and all that.
Cheers Yadreamin

If you put down a wooden floor you could use it as a multi purpose sports hall during the week, a dance hall/niteclub at night, & a rollerskating rink on the weekend.

How about a retro picture theatre showing indie/world films with a cafe/restaurant. Thats if its in the right area for that sort of thing. Ive seen a few of those work.

Or................

A state of the art gymnasium with health food bar attached. Once again, depending on exact location and if anything like that doesn't already exist close by.

Regards
Marty

What kind of demographics frequent the area?
What is the foot traffic like past the door?
Have a look around at the surrounding businesses that are doing well nearby and gage from this.
Ring up council and have a chat about the place to find out it's restrictions as far as heritage listings go. Ask about it's history, facilities etc. Check out their plans for the future for the shopping strip etc.
How about a bookshop/cafe combo? These seem to be popular at the moment. You could have a second hand section as well, to encourage holiday makers to buy cheap novels etc.
Just some ravings anyway....
Let us know how you go with it all :)

Would it be possible to convert it to several large open-plan loft-style apartments ?

Okay so far a few different ideas.This is good as it,s interesting to see how many possibilities may come from just one empty building.

Skater. Your ideas are similar to mine but broader.

likewow.The retro theatre is a good idea but the building isn,t big enough to do the cafe and movie at the same time.

Duncan.There is no pool/snooker hall in the area at all, a definate possibility.

Kissfan. There is already a few gyms around.

Jacque. Huge foot traffic past the front door.Already 2 book/cafe stores nearby.Its really a cafe strip more so than a shopping strip.

Sim. No not possible. its just not big enough.

qniks. Reasearch is always needed.

Hope l get a few more ideas yet Thanks to those of you who have already submitted.I read l think in the 'Millionaire next door "don,t look at an empty shop and wonder how they went bust, look at the empty shop and wonder what you could put in ther to create income."
Cheers yadreamin

Micro Brew in Mildura

Has been done in Mildura to great effect. Great place to hang out have an ale, people watch and really modern furnishings.

Dear Yadreamin,

Some ideas:

-Two/Three way billboard on top of building. (Take advantage of traffic flow.)
-How flat is the top? Private helipad rental.
-Multi-floored inner city storage units. (Business storage opportunities for both offices, renovators and unit residents.) (However affected by access to the loading bay.)
-Backpackers hostel.
-Private "DVD/video game" or "Karaoke" rooms.
-Lan gaming centre (Risky tenant.).
-(With a little more work.) -Multi-level carpark.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Back