Living in Nirvana

Living in Nirvana

Husband on Center link payment.
Both husband & Wife on Child assist with fore kids
Also on rent assistance.
How much will they receive in total from our taxes?
If they receive a rent increase of $20.00 what percentage of that is covered by centrelink ?

Gerd

not sure if it's a fictitious scenario / puzzle, but i'll have a go:

Living in Nirvana

Husband on Center link payment.
Both husband & Wife on Child assist with fore kids
Also on rent assistance.
How much will they receive in total from our taxes?

they will receive waaay too much money from our taxes... i once saw a t-shirt that said 'don't breed 'em if you can't feed 'em.'

If they receive a rent increase of $20.00 what percentage of that is covered by centrelink ?

probably not enough in their eyes that's why they should probably look at earning some extra income to make up the difference. If they have a telephone, they could call Centrelink and find out the facts.

Gerd

I'll give it a go.

I have made these presumtions: They have no other income. They are not in Housing Department Properties. Children are all under 13 yrs. None of the children are double orphans. None of the children are disabled. The children are not triplets or quads. They do not have a new baby. Their rent is above $369.23 f/n. These amounts taken from the Centrelink site.

Newstart Allowance $387.80 f/n each.
Rent Assistance $140 f/n
Family Tax Benefit Part A $145.46 f/n each child.
Large Family Supplement $20.16 f/n
Family Tax Benefit Part A Supplement $667.95 per child per annum.

So based on those figures $1517.60 each fortnight, plus a bonus of $2671.80 per annum at the end of the financial year.

The rent assistance will stay they same with a $20 increase in the rent.

Hi skater

Using your example it works out to $ 810.18 per week
:eek:.

Maybe I should name our property where these tenant live NIRVANA.

Gerd

With that sort of money why would anyone work,free health,dental,drink home brew,grow your own veggies,that must be why they call Australia the lucky country,some people i know don't even earn that money each week and they work,makes you think sometimes who are the smart ones in this country,it's not the wage slaves living from week to week..willair..

With that sort of money why would anyone work,free health,dental,drink home brew,grow your own veggies,that must be why they call Australia the lucky country,some people i know don't even earn that money each week and they work,makes you think sometimes who are the smart ones in this country,it's not the wage slaves living from week to week..willair..

I am with you willair. Why would you work if you could get more by just sitting at home

So. Gerd wants to know if the rent goes up does Centrelink cover it or the tenant.

Seems from Skaters comprehensive reply that the rent assistance doesn't change and the extra must come from tenant's pocket.

Perhaps Gerd ponders the likelihood of the tenant falling behind if there is an increase. I don't think the purpose of the thread was to prompt discussion on whys and wherefores of families receiving assistance and the fairness or otherwise. Let's be kind...it takes all sorts.

$810 a week for 6 people,

Rent $250pw
Groceries $300pw
Transport $100pw
Clothes/shoes $50pw
Utilities $75pw
etc etc etc.........

Wow they must be rolling in it!!! :D

Hiya,

One of my favourite philosophers once wrote something along the following lines, which I think may be rather appropriate for this scenario:

"The consequence of charity: it accustoms the poor to receiving gifts and thus it encourages the depletion of their energy. When a man knows he will be given handouts, he does not work; then, when the money stops flowing, not knowing how to earn more, he becomes a beggar & a theif. The best way to rid .....of the poor would be to halt the distribution of alms and to shut down the poorhouses. Then the indigent would have to fend for himself; he would have to summon his own inner resources in order to escape from the condition in which he started life; the result would be a nation composed entirely of self sufficient men. But, today, the poor are pampered and coddled - and with what result? The helpless creatures **** and add more helpless creatures to our growing population, which new creatures also ****, adding newer ones sill, ad infinitum."

Perhaps not a universally applicable theory, but, I can see at least a small element of truth in this for some...

Cheers

James.

Interesting JamesGG...

Ever the inquisitive, I took it upon myself to google...as always, google at own risk and please be over 18. (Especially in this instance)..

It has offensive material in it.

I was not familiar with the quote/excerpt you provided us with James:

Quote JamessGG:
Hiya,

One of my favourite philosophers once wrote something along the following lines, which I think may be rather appropriate for this scenario:

Quote:
"The consequence of charity: it accustoms the poor to receiving gifts and thus it encourages the depletion of their energy. When a man knows he will be given handouts, he does not work; then, when the money stops flowing, not knowing how to earn more, he becomes a beggar & a theif. The best way to rid .....of the poor would be to halt the distribution of alms and to shut down the poorhouses. Then the indigent would have to fend for himself; he would have to summon his own inner resources in order to escape from the condition in which he started life; the result would be a nation composed entirely of self sufficient men. But, today, the poor are pampered and coddled - and with what result? The helpless creatures **** and add more helpless creatures to our growing population, which new creatures also ****, adding newer ones sill, ad infinitum."

Perhaps not a universally applicable theory, but, I can see at least a small element of truth in this for some...

Cheers

James.
....and I found this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=fO...sig=RzRgMm1JEJQ7-2o-1rT3oHl2OGs#PPA238-IA1,M1

Have I found the appropiate link ? **The Complete Marquis de Sade By Paul J. Gillette, Sade, Marquis de Sade**

Is that one of your favorite philosophers?

Would seriously like some clarification, I seem to be now thinking you think the: " The Complete Marquis de Sade By Paul J. Gillette, Sade, Marquis de Sade* is a philosophical reference work/piece?

$810 a week for 6 people,

Rent $250pw
Groceries $300pw
Transport $100pw
Clothes/shoes $50pw
Utilities $75pw
etc etc etc.........

Wow they must be rolling in it!!! :D

I don't know where you got those figures from.

Groceries @ $300pw is a lot of money. I spend roughly $150pw for 4 of us. My kids aren't as young as that example, so would consume more, I would think.

Transport @ $100pw. Again, we run 2 cars necessary for work & would spend that amount. If unemployed you would only need one, if that.

Clothes/Shoes @ $50pw totals $2600 per year. With 4 kids you would be able to use hand-me-downs. Shop at cheaper outlets etc. That is a lot of money for someone supposedly on the poverty line. I am far from being on such an income, but would spend much less than this.

Utilities @ $75 translates to $3900pa. OMG, that is a LOT of electricity. The only utilities they would need is electricity & water usage. Remember rates, water rates, repairs & maintenance etc is the landlords responsibility, not the tenant.

You're right, they must be rolling in it.:(

Skye

You know, I'm trying not to get offended by this train of thought. Unsuccessfully. You see, I am a sole parent, 3 kids. I work shift hours full-time, actually I am doing a 21hour weekend currently, plus sleeping over.
I still qualify for the pension card, barely. I worked out a long time ago that I was, in effect, only about $200 better off per week by working my butt off.
You know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.
Generalizations don't equate to realizations.

I am with you willair. Why would you work if you could get more by just sitting at home

I have never understood this apathetic philosophy. It destroys human endeavour and ultimately your self worth.

Slothing around, waiting for Govt handouts....and then comparing those to a paid position in the workforce that is invariably the LOWEST RUNG ON THE TOTEM POLE in the organisation.

What people always fail to appreciate, is that with a little application, a bit of tenacity, an encouraging voice from a mentor, and a non-whingy attitude, the "entry" position and entry wage is quickly surpassed and the once dole recipient is now a useful member of society - with uplifted self esteem, an ever increasing wage....far more than the dole is indexed to.

Of course, the big incomes are a little further down the track, requiring further education and experience levels, but employers are always keener to pick someone up who is already employed.

Judging the benefits of the dole vs the first link on the job chain is a merry-go-round of misery. The dole will win every time.

Comparing the dole vs the third or fourth link in the chain is no comparison. Paid employment wins hands down in almost all respects.

As an aside, in our industry we are hiring young men (some illiterate) with absolutely no qualifications and no experience. How the education departments and teachers hold their head up is beyond me graduating people like this....but that's another story.

These young guys, if they can just keep their left wing, politically aware, opinionated mouths shut, put out on the rig floor and raise a sweat and do real work for a change instead of spending their life staring into one of these things, for 26 weeks of work a year, take home (as an entry level position) about 120K p.a.

Most quit....cos it's too hard, too hot, too cold, too dirty, too lonely.

Almost all refuse to obey direct orders from their superiors, cos they've never had to in their life from anyone, and at the end of the day, they know full well rich Mummy and Daddy always end up being the backstop. Many quit and go back and live at M&D's hotel and draw the dole.

At the end of the day, I offer no solution to this and don't care about their plight.....that's in their lap. Having churned through hundreds of them, I know full well they don't care either. Trouble for them is, they need to live with the consequences of their laziness if they choose the dole option.

I applaud all those who struggle on a low wage to improve their lot in life. Chin up guys, you'll get that promotion and more cash in the hand soon enough.

Hello all,

In reply to the origonal question of who foots the bill if the rent rises $20 a week, my answer is, it makes no difference,

The Australian taxpayer still funds 100% of the rent.

Back