Living On Equity issue- tax vs interest

If people with lots of property are using their equity for their income - such as thru a Line oF Credit, isnt it true eventho its tax free, they still have to pay the LOC interest?

Doesnt it become like a credit card similarity where every dollar you spend you will have to pay the interest until you pay up?

Hi,

What about if you pay for the annual interest out of another account containing your equity?

-Food for thought.

Dave

rodimus said:
If people with lots of property are using their equity for their income - such as thru a Line oF Credit, isnt it true eventho its tax free, they still have to pay the LOC interest?

Doesnt it become like a credit card similarity where every dollar you spend you will have to pay the interest until you pay up?

Hi Rodimus

My understanding is that you end up with more dollars in your pocket because:

Interest @ 7% on $100,000 = $7,000pa
IncomeTax on $100,000 = substantually more than $7,000. :eek:

Just need to make sure that your assets are appreciating at a greater rate than your spending from the LOC :D

Bawley

But !
What about the interest on interest that accumulates when you draw down and live off borrowings from equity. Great no tax, but each year the interest gets bigger (at least tax is just paid and then it's gone) and that interest will not even be deductable (although it is rumoured a good cashbond arrangement may allow otherwise, but yet to see an example of this)

maniyak said:
But !
What about the interest on interest that accumulates when you draw down and live off borrowings from equity. Great no tax, but each year the interest gets bigger (at least tax is just paid and then it's gone) and that interest will not even be deductable (although it is rumoured a good cashbond arrangement may allow otherwise, but yet to see an example of this)

Yes this is correct, the interest for non-investment drawings such as lifestyle expenses are not tax deductable. - But having said that, sometimes some investors can get too carried away with whats deductable & whats not.

In the overall scheme of things however does it really matter (providing your assetts are appreciating at a rate faster than you are redrawing), if you have a portfolio Debt of $1.5M & over $3M of portfolio asetts appreciating?? I dont think so!

IMHO I think some investors can lose sight of the forrest for the trees. :)

Last edited:
What is Steve's Navra's strategy? something different?

Guys, is it worth to go to his seminar he is holding in Melbourne?
I guess there is a ticket fee to go to his workshop?

Yes you are paying interest on interest.

I think this reply waffles on a bit but put my thoughts down anyway.

I live off equity, via cashbonds arranged by Sue ellen in Navra's Brisbane Office.

Somethings to consider:

-Thanks to inflation the costs of the previous years interest decrease in real terms over time.

-it would take a lot of compound interest to equal the tax you would pay on similiar incomes eg. $100 pa, this year $7000 interest, next year $14000, next year $21000

-if you're increase in equity over the medium term should be sufficient to cover the equity you've spent , as well as the interest.

-For someone at my stage of life (<30) even if it all went pear shaped I could have the 5 years without working, sell domething to pay off the debt and still have had 5 years without working, If I was at a different stage I doubt I would have done anytihing differently as the numbers added up.

- you're are living of a small percentage of you're equity, I think Steve Navra reccomends less than 5%.

-not having to work is definately worth it. I have no doubt I live a truly priveleged life, I did enjoy being a teacher but Freedom is priceless. I decide what I'm doing everyday. I spend heaps of time with my wife and young son, I have another son on the way and know that I can be there all the time during the first few weeks after he's born etc etc.

- another cost/ benefit not often mentioned is it gives you time to explore other options.I made more than my first year's income in the first 6 months

Regardless of the above I have friends and relatives who could never do what I do because they couldn't sleep at night due to the debt, some have invesmtents and investment debt, but no matter how safe it looked on paper, borrowing money to live on would drive them crazy.

Hope it helps, any questions feel free to ask

Wow <30 years and living off equity!!!!! Well done!!!! :)

Here are some questions :D

How did you do it?

Why a cashbond and not ordinary LOC??

Would it be too personal to ask the value of your assets???

Was Steve Navra integral in the building of your assets???

On the lifestyle - to have time to enjoy your young children without pressure of work is truly privledged. Good for you.

How,

I bought run down queenslanders, did them up rented them out and moved on to the next one

Cashbonds provide for a demonstratable income for loan servicing, LOC do not

I think Steve works on spending 5% of your gross assets, I am spending <2.5%

Steve helped with the cashbond, I already had my portfolio, but I think he could be very helpful in building one from scratch

I renovate because I enjoy it, though now only renovate my PPOR myself and use builders for developments/ investments

Whoa,

RPI did you do some network marketing thing to be able to get the passive income? I know quite a few young people out there who have done them and they are getting like $4000 per WEEK passive inc. Great money!

Me, I am starting to do some projects on my free time to earn more. I am an architect , and just decided to do some free-lance projects here and there outside my office hours. Anyone who needs an architect to do design (buildings or interiors), renovation drafting or document some construction drawings, send me a message! :)

I have done design and drawings for several in my office for clients, and its amazing how a good design with low building cost can boost up their value so much-especially those interior design fitouts !

RPI said:
2.5 % per annum

So for example, if your property portfolio is worth $1 million, $25k per year is being returned to you? And the value of your LOC/annuity is $125k over 5 years? Is that correct?

Hi Glebe,

Thats the correct theory but likewow was using the $1M only as an example :)

BTW using likewows example again, the CB would be $125k + interest (approx. 5%) over a 5 year period - thus returning $25k + interest, P/A.

Back