Loan Query

If a loan is in joint names do you need to have the same people on the title of the property or is it better to have one person on the title for tax purposes?

Hope this question makes sense..

Loan and tax are not related in this instance.

Title == tax benefits. So if you have 100% of the title, you have 100% of the tax benefits, or 50% with someone else for 50% and so on.

Spouses can own in one name with both on title.

Which is better will depend on the circumstances. Don't just think tax but estate planning, asset protection, stamp duty strategies etc.

You can have one person or both on the title. You can also divide the ownership from as little as 99%/1% depending on the banks policy but definitley 90/10 split or a variation.

Idealy this is decided before a contract is signed encompassing Terrys points but can be changed after the fact via a variation.

Best practice is to consult your accountant and property lawer before entering a transaction. This rarely happens unless advised correctly.

Should the person with 100% of the title be the one with a higher income? This is in relation to a married couple. Not sure which strategy is more beneficial.

The main purpose would be to claim as much as possible.

If the property is negatively geared then generally its the higher income earner that would benifit most.

I would still want my name on the title if I had the lesser income, even if only a nominal 1%.

Bear in mind a neg geared property eventually goes positve in the medium term.

Back