Loc interest on interest

Hi!
I have a loc that I used to pay for deposit on IP.
I have not been making payments to this loan so the interest charges have been increasing the balance. So in effect I am paying interest on my interest. My question is whether this extra interest is deductible?
Thanks!

Hi!
I have not been making payments to this loan so the interest charges have been increasing the balance. So in effect I am paying interest on my interest. My question is whether this extra interest is deductible?
Thanks!

I capitalize my interest and also claim it as a tax deduction but my rent also gets paid into my LOC so it's a bit different to the example Dave linked.

Hi!
Thanks!

Generally interest on interest is deductible. But the ATO may deny the deduction under Part IVA of the ITAA36, if it is being done as a scheme with a dominant purpose of increasing deductions.

A simplistic interpretation that I have heard and works for me is if you have poor debt and ip debt, the ato may apply no go . If u don't have a ppor debt then it would appear to be less problematic

Ta

Rolf

Hi!
Thanks!

As Terry says the answer is maybe. The nature of how the bank allows this is what I question. If you have a overall limit and the bank allows one to capitalise (deductible) and the other takes repayments (PPOR) then I would think there is a split loan problem. It may not seem like a serious issue but the ATO approach is to conclude that your deduction is excessive and deny 100% of it. You then have to object and demonstrate a good case for an amount that is reasonable. That can be a challenge.

Back