Logging on and vanishing threads

I need help.
Everytime l log on to the forum and post, the thread l have posted in vanishes.
I can only find it in my UserCP. its getting a bit annoying so is there some lovely little icon l can click on to over come this problem.
Thanks
yadreamin

Hi yadreamin

After you post, are you then clickin on 'New Posts' or on 'Today's Posts'?

If on New Posts, well, the post you just posted has been read by you and therefore isn't 'New'

Try clicking on 'Today's Posts' and you will see your contribution

Also....

Sometimes, we log in without ticking the 'Remember Me' box

And then we post some massive, wonderful post

And click Submit

And come up with a 'you are not logged in' window

So just go ahead and log in immediately, and you will find that your post has been submitted

Before I learned this little trick, I would get frustrated and click all sorts of links and lose my sumitted post. Now, I just log in and voila! there it is .... in Today's Posts!

Hope this helps
Kristine

Hi Kristine.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes l learnt about the Remember Me tab the hard way.

Ok so when l am logged on l only have the option of "new posts " tab when l am logged off l get the "todays post "tab.

Not sure whats going on but it is getting annoying.

l will keep pottering to see what l can find.
cheers
yadreamin

Ok so when l am logged on l only have the option of "new posts " tab when l am logged off l get the "todays post "tab.

"New Posts" is only relevant to logged in users, so it doesn't get shown to guests. Generally New Posts is considered far more useful than "Today's Posts", which is why we only show New Posts to logged in users. However, if you do want to use "Today's Posts", you can find a link under the "Quick Links" menu at the top of the page.

Hope I don't lose this one too!

Once again, I have just spent ages typing up a longish post, and gone to submit it and a screen comes up saying 'you are not logged in blah blah' and I lose what I have spent so much time on. VERY ANNOYING and why I rarely bother anymore with anything other than just a quick few lines.
Why does this happen when you definitely ARE logged in?
Help!

By Sim:

However, if you do want to use "Today's Posts", you can find a link under the "Quick Links" menu at the top of the page.

Well! Fancy that!!!!

I too have been annoyed that I could not find threads I'd viewed/posted to earlier. Maybe I'm a slow learner. not sure 'bout them flyin' machines yet neither. :D

It must be the way the site administration has set the site up.
I'm a member of another forum which uses the same version as this site.
After posting on the other site you can then click on new posts and it will appear as a new post.

Hope I don't lose this one too!

Once again, I have just spent ages typing up a longish post, and gone to submit it and a screen comes up saying 'you are not logged in blah blah' and I lose what I have spent so much time on. VERY ANNOYING and why I rarely bother anymore with anything other than just a quick few lines.
Why does this happen when you definitely ARE logged in?
Help!

If I'm writing anything longer than a couple of lines, I will generally copy and paste the text into notepad as backup while I'm writing - in case the browser chucks a wobbly when I try and submit. It does happen to me occasionally!

Biggest problem tends to be using quick reply and accidentally hitting the "page back" button on my keyboard (which happens to be right next to the cursor keys - grrr), and then when I page forward again, the reply is gone. This is because of the way the quick reply box works - it generally shouldn't be a problem (at least not with Firefox) on the "reply to thread" or "new thread" pages.

So - lesson #1: don't trust your browser, lesson #2: make backups, lesson #3: don't trust your browser.

Back