Looking to buy second IP - go for CF or CG?

Hi guys,

6 months ago with the great advice from you guys, I bought my first IP! It's cashflow oriented and I've been very very happy with it.

I’m now considering to buy IP #2, and again in need of advice and opinion.

Basically for IP#2, should I focus on cashflow or diversify and go for growth? Based on my current circumstances?

Here’s my stats:
First/only IP home (no PPOR) bought for $281,000, rent 310pw, repayments set to weekly at 347pw. It’s interest rate is fixed for the next 2 and a half years. So I was thinking that going for CG now would diversify a bit?

I currently own 35% equity (laid 34% deposit) on that property, and have another 55k deposit saved since I bought it.

I can buy IP #2 now with the 55k deposit (minus about $15k on purchasing costs etc), or I can wait another 6 months with more money to try to near-neutrally gear my second property as well? Or is this strategy too passive and not leveraging enough?

Now the bad news!
I am self employed, and have absolutely no idea what my income is. My 07 financial year was about 55k (I finished my studies and commenced full time freelance halfway through the financial year), but this year is going to look around 80k. Unless I wait until July and do my tax return I will have to get another low doc loan.
Still living at home (nearly 25yo), but still happy here and won’t be out for a few years more.

Finally.. I’m looking at an absolute waterfront property (with licensed jetty and small boat ramp) in a traditionally capital growth long term oriented suburb. Prices have dipped lately and I’m negotiating around the low 300’s mark but the house on it is barely even a shack, and even with a bit of cleaning up and the addition of a car port I’m looking at getting no more than 150pw in rent. I won’t be doing any developing on it in the near future. We think that if we get it for what we’re asking for it’d be a really, really good price. But the thing is, is leveraging that much more with barely any rental returns the right option for me, is it worth stretching myself this much for this kind of property?

Also – what are the kinds of things to look/watch out for when buying a waterfront property? The agent did tell us that if/when a new house is built, it would have to stand a meter above the ground, and about 15 metres off the shoreline.

I really like the place because it's clear that expensive neighbouring homes are being developed with the same size blocks of land. And I’m wanting to diversify into capital growth, but I’m afraid it might be a bit early to do this?

What would you do?

Hi guys, 6 months ago with the great advice from you guys, I bought my first IP! It's cashflow oriented and I've been very very happy with it.
Congratulations :)

Basically for IP#2, should I focus on cashflow or diversify and go for growth? Based on my current circumstances?
Easton, this also depends on how comfortable you are with risk. But if it were me (and it isn't) I'd go for growth.

own 35% equity (laid 34% deposit) on that property, and have another 55k deposit saved since I bought it.
See you have already done well and to save $55K......well I've never saved more than $10K in my whole life. You look well disciplined.

I can buy IP #2 now with the 55k deposit (minus about $15k on purchasing costs etc), or I can wait another 6 months with more money to try to near-neutrally gear my second property as well? Or is this strategy too passive and not leveraging enough?
I would not be neutrally gearing by putting in a large deposit. Just make sure the income is coming in (from your personal exertion) and you can gear as high as you are able - as I said before it just depends on your risk profile. Can you sleep at night with the level of gearing you have chosen?
Now the bad news!

I am self employed, and have absolutely no idea what my income is. My 07 financial year was about 55k (I finished my studies and commenced full time freelance halfway through the financial year), but this year is going to look around 80k.
Where's the bad news in all of this?? Self-employed - good. making more money than last year - good.

Unless I wait until July and do my tax return I will have to get another low doc loan.
Low docs are fine & if you wait till July the property might not be there.

Still living at home (nearly 25yo), but still happy here and won’t be out for a few years more.
That is your Mum's problem :)

Finally.. I’m looking at an absolute waterfront property ..... is it worth stretching myself this much for this kind of property?
YES & YES

Also – what are the kinds of things to look/watch out for when buying a waterfront property? The agent did tell us that if/when a new house is built, it would have to stand a meter above the ground, and about 15 metres off the shoreline.
Council will tell you the restrictions.

but I’m afraid it might be a bit early to do this?
Do not be afraid - only believe!

What would you do?
Do it.

My 2c
Aimjoy

Last edited:
Easton

Well done sofar!

We only have negatively geared prop at the moment too but with a >2.5% yield without much chance to increasing rent I'd like to be very sure that it would do well in the (near) future. Any other developments in the area that might help too? Could you add a room etc. to up the rent without rebuilding?

Also I'd be a tad skiddish about it being flood-prone. In Brisbane you can get flood reports from the council for every property, might be worth a look as repeated flooding wouldn't be great for tenants or the property value.

Sounds great though, maybe you could use it as your PPOR and get a flatmate in to help pay for it for a while (unless it's a 1 bedroom ;).

kaf

Hi guys,

6 months ago with the great advice from you guys, I bought my first IP! It's cashflow oriented and I've been very very happy with it.

Congratulations also.

IMHO Investing for Capital Growth is where your True Real Wealth is made.

Cash flow is purely your oxygen to keep you alive along the way.

You can convert Capital to cash flow immediately when ever you want but you can't create instant wealth from cash flow.

Food for thought.

Once again congrats.

It sounds like the fact that i'm leveraging more aggressively this time around dosn't seem to deter most people. It seems to be a reality that there are some risks involved. This was the kind of response I was looking for :)

I also went to the council today to check out it's flood history, restrictions etc,

Although it's really scary having a mortgage where i'm just short a few dollars a week, to getting a new one where i'll be short $400pw!

We just made our highest/final offer, and it's only 10k from their last offer so it looks close! *excited*!

It sounds like the fact that i'm leveraging more aggressively this time around dosn't seem to deter most people. It seems to be a reality that there are some risks involved. This was the kind of response I was looking for :)

I also went to the council today to check out it's flood history, restrictions etc,

Although it's really scary having a mortgage where i'm just short a few dollars a week, to getting a new one where i'll be short $400pw!

We just made our highest/final offer, and it's only 10k from their last offer so it looks close! *excited*!

how did it go?

Congratulations also.

IMHO Investing for Capital Growth is where your True Real Wealth is made.

Cash flow is purely your oxygen to keep you alive along the way.

You can convert Capital to cash flow immediately when ever you want but you can't create instant wealth from cash flow.

Food for thought.

Once again congrats.

I think the 1st ip I buy will be CG orientated, then the 2nd one + cashflow (or as close to positive as I can get) to balance things so as to make it more affordable.

how did it go?

Hi Kim!

Well you've brought my thread back from the dead.

We asked for 330k and they wouldn't budge under 340k. It was a stalemate for about a week, then a buyer whos been looking at the property for months came in and nabbed it for 340k.

I think a competing agent in the same agency had a buyer lined up and took the new price after our hard bargaining.

However...

Whilst looking at that property we were looking at another one 10 houses down. It's more expensive ($410k) but it actually has a house on it this time, albiet no jetty... no slipway :( It's still a small house but the rent is worth about $260pw in comparison to the previous property returning merely $150pw.

After weeks of negotiating and inspections we finally exchanged contracts at $398k.

In exactly 1 months time the transfer will be settled and I will have officially bought my second investment property.. and my first absolute waterfront!!!@#!@!

...now heres hoping global warming dosn't sink my house! :eek:

Last edited:
Hi Kim!

Well you've brought my thread back from the dead.

We asked for 330k and they wouldn't budge under 340k. It was a stalemate for about a week, then a buyer whos been looking at the property for months came in and nabbed it for 340k.

I think a competing agent in the same agency had a buyer lined up and took the new price after our hard bargaining.

However...

Whilst looking at that property we were looking at another one 10 houses down. It's more expensive ($410k) but it actually has a house on it this time, albiet no jetty... no slipway :( It's still a small house but the rent is worth about $260pw in comparison to the previous property returning merely $150pw.

After weeks of negotiating and inspections we finally exchanged contracts at $398k.

In exactly 1 months time the transfer will be settled and I will have officially bought my second investment property.. and my first absolute waterfront!!!@#!@!

...now heres hoping global warming dosn't sink my house! :eek:

congrats, i dont know if you mentioned earlier but what area are you investing in ? Newcastle?

congrats, i dont know if you mentioned earlier but what area are you investing in ? Newcastle?

I've bought in Lake Macquarie - although it's the worst/cheapest kind of waterfront you can imagine as it's only a riverfront and without it's own jetty.

I'm going to try and get approval for a jetty but I doubt my chances.

Once it's settled i'll take some snaps though! :)

I've bought in Lake Macquarie - although it's the worst/cheapest kind of waterfront you can imagine as it's only a riverfront and without it's own jetty.

I'm going to try and get approval for a jetty but I doubt my chances.

Once it's settled i'll take some snaps though! :)

:cool:

Congrats Easton. Waterfronts of all sorts do very well over time.
And I'm a non-believer when it comes to rising sea levels and global warming.

Good one!

Aimjoy:D

Back