Looking to meet like minded young investors

Hi all!

Just been thinking about this of late - as you go through life, your goals change, your mindset changes and you may find that you want to meet "like minded" individuals, who you can relate to better.

For example, I am a tax accountant, and work in an environment which has a young culture, but I find I am unable to relate to most people because they have an "employee" mindset, who may be looking to work their lives away, and wanting that one dream home. The worst I have heard at work is "I hate debt" from a tax advisor. I had an employee mindset a few years ago, and it all went down the drain when I realised that I don't have to be an "employee" for the rest of my life.

Property is something which resonates with me well, and I find it empowering. In my day to day job, we advise clients (high net wealth individuals) about their tax affairs - this has really inspired me to do what I can so I can be financially independent over the next decade or so.

I am in my mid-twenties, and commenced my property journey along with my twin sister in late 2009 - so far we have three places (one PPOR), and looking to get our fourth.

I think as my goals have changed overtime, I feel there is a need to make friends who are into property/investing, who think outside the box, and are working to eliminate the "scarcity / victim" thinking mindset.

I would like to organise a dinner or coffee catch up if other young investors are interested who are at a similar stage in their investment careers or just starting out.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Mona

There are regular investors meets organised by Sim every month, they alternate between chatswood and baulkham hills.

Check out the meeting point sub-forum for dates and upcoming events

What do you classify as "young"?
As mentioned there are regular meetings but they are restricted to young or how much experience you have.

Mona there are many experienced investors here. I can't understand you limiting yourself by only wanting to meet young people. Sure there are some young ones that have "made it" but they are a minority.
Lucky the oldies with experience don't only want to share their knowledge with other oldies.

I hate debt and I hate banks.
I think there is nothing wrong with that, or taking into account how and why they do what they do as to benefit from it.
Same for paye mindset, same for RE always goes up mindset.
But I agree you need to associate with like minded people, but judge them too harshly, they are a significant part of the market that you wish to gain from.
All in all it's just another cog in the wheel (they don't need no education...they don't need no thought control)

Agreed with the above comments, I don't see an issue with the other forum members joining in and sharing experiences as long as they are willing. I'm looking to learn a bit more but on the wrong side of town :)

Taking Mona s point,.I am amazed at how risk averse accountants are. I work with a reasonable number of them and none of them have even considered doing anything with their money other than putting it in a bank.

It never ceases to amaze me.

Back