low density block with 3 dwellings

If you have a dual occ block with 2 dwellings and propose to put a 3rd on then subdivide, can you gain approval if your da includes the subdivision as well?
Essentially turning 1 block with 2 houses into 2 blocks - 1 with 1 house and the other block with 2 houses/dwellings?

As long as both blocks are 450m2+ you might even get away with putting a house and a 60m2 granny flat on each of them.
You'd have to subdivide before doing this though.

Newcastle or Lake Macquarie.

I am trying to do a bit of forward planning for our next ppor. Not too fussed on location but Lake mac would be good to take advantage of the 7k regional relocation grant. I'd also like to find a property with maximum development potential. I've seen a place with 3 dwellings on the one title (still in construction) in a low density zoned area. I'm wondering how this is possible.
Does the lot get subdivided first with the original house on a small lot then a dual occ built on the residual lot?

Ideo I see your in Newcastle, look forward to your comments

In Perth we could divide before and then build or build the extra 2 then subdivide after.
My question is why not go for 3 titles? One for the original house and one each for the next 2.

Newcastle or Lake Macquarie.

I am trying to do a bit of forward planning for our next ppor. Not too fussed on location but Lake mac would be good to take advantage of the 7k regional relocation grant. I'd also like to find a property with maximum development potential. I've seen a place with 3 dwellings on the one title (still in construction) in a low density zoned area. I'm wondering how this is possible.
Does the lot get subdivided first with the original house on a small lot then a dual occ built on the residual lot?

Ideo I see your in Newcastle, look forward to your comments

It is theoretically possible. However, you would have to make sure the new lots met the minimum lot size (or at least only had a minor discrepancy to controls which can be dealt with under a SEPP 1 Objection) to achieve this. It would basically be a combined subdivision/construct DA.

If you are looking at Lake Mac council keep in mind they have just put their Standard Instrument LEP on exhibition.

We've done a short post about it, combining the relevant links

http://thedesignpartnership.com.au/blog/planning/lake-macquarie-draft-lep-dcp-2012/

Mods. If this is not ok to post it, feel free to edit post, and I can put the 5 convoluted posts to the Lake Mac website :)

min lot size is 450m^2. I've seen some lots zoned the same that are closer to 300m^2, how is this possible?
Thanks for the link ill have to have a good read of it

min lot size is 450m^2. I've seen some lots zoned the same that are closer to 300m^2, how is this possible?
Thanks for the link ill have to have a good read of it

They could be older subdivisions.

Or, (quick planning crash course) the developer of the land prepared a State Environmental Planning Policy 1 - Development Standards Objection, in which a consultant planner or other suitable person (architect, surveyor, even knowledgeable layman) can provide a strong argument as to why certain numerical standards should not be applicable to a certain development. This could use arguments based on location, surrounding development, environmental or social impacts, benefit to the community, compliance with other controls, good design, etc etc etc.

If the SEPP 1 is supported Council can vary the development standards for that particular block of land.

But, they are not guaranteed of success in any way, shape or form.

Thanks Ideo, that sheds a bit more light. Could the current rental shortage be used as an argument? Or does there need to be more merit behind it than that?

Thanks Ideo, that sheds a bit more light. Could the current rental shortage be used as an argument? Or does there need to be more merit behind it than that?

Nope. Not good enough. Council will not support a SEPP 1 based on the "it will make me money" principle.

That makes sense. Without giving too much detail, could you provide an example of senario that has worked for you in the past?

I've heard some councils are harder than others to work with. Would an objection to the SEPP 1 be something that can be harder with some council or is each objection really based on it's own merits? Eg LMCC harder to object to than CCC? Or is the answer to all of this....it depends!

Well... it depends :p

I've had a number approved in the past.

Some of them are very minor - 100mm height encroachments or 0.055 Floor space Requirement infringement and they are straight forward to get a SEPP 1 approval on. A simple argument around the good design and minimising overshadowing etc is sufficient.

The biggest one I've had approved is getting a boundary adjustment approved in a rural zone. 40ha minimum, two lots of 45ha converted into one lot of 17ha with the other lot being substantially increased in size. That was for 2 brothers one of whom was a chicken farmer and didn't need so much land, the other a dairy farmer that did. That arguement was based on strong principles of suitable use of rural land.

Rural, smaller councils are quite often easier to deal with than metro and suburban councils for these, as the planners there are quite often locals who understand the area rather than career public servants.

But, basically it really does depend on the merits of the individual application.

Back