Making a Plan in Japan

G'day, another newbie joins the ranks after a lot of reading. A little about myself ... I've divided this post into 3 parts for clarity:

1) Past:
Born in Sydney 35 years ago and have worked in Tokyo for the last 12 years. I was a uni student in Sydney and still have the deferred 4 year HECS fees as proof. During that time (14 years ago) I bought a half-share of 100 acres of land with my brother on the NSW Mid-North Coast. My brother lives there now and it is non-income producing.

2) Present:
No PPOR and no IPs. 5 years left on a work contract, but I plan to stay in Tokyo for about 10 to 15 years before returning to Oz. As a non-resident Australian citizen (i.e., because of the double taxation agreement between Japan and Oz) I pay taxes here in Japan. Currently renting a small "mansion"
(reinforced concrete unit). I'm on a 3 year renewable work visa and will apply for Permanent Residency this year.

3) Future:
a.) (this year) I want to buy an older house or apartment block with land to live in as it works out cheaper than renting here in Japan. I've been looking around at the government foreclosed auctions and REAs. With low interest rates and high yields, an IP may also be possible.
b.) (over the next 2 years) I plan to buy some IPs in Oz. This gives me time to research and educate myself, read heaps, look at the various markets, set up a Hybrid Discretionary Trust and Trustee Company, find a savvy accountant, financial advisor, and mortgage broker, or loan pre-approval. I don't want to rush in right now as I feel the market has cooled off. In Tokyo, NAB and ANZ offer cheap interest rates for buying IPs in Oz ... the catch is that when the LVR hits 80% there is a costly "margin call". Alternatively, I could apply for a "professional" package loan through one of the Aussie banks in Oz.

If anyone is in a similar situation, or could offer me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Later, Rising Sun. :)

g'day

g'day rising sun,

I am a fellow aussie living and working in Japan. I am also looking to purchase an investment property or two back home (thankfully rent where I am is cheap). I would be interested to hear about this margin call at 80% LVR you are getting hit with. Do these lenders have any online info about this and other conditions of loans? Given the interest rate discrepency and state of japanese property market I have no idea why people here have not been pumping investment dollars overseas.

cheers

ronin

It's called "Lender's Mortgage Insurance" or LMI. A search, using these terms, of the forums and on google should yield all the information you need :)

Greetings

G'day Ronin,

Good to see there is another Aussie masterless samurai in Japan! I don't have a loan through either of them as of yet, but I am considering them for the future. Like I said the loans are for Aussies living in Japan and buying IPs in Oz and the interest rates are attractive (for loans in Japanese Yen) but the risk is the call of "topping up" the loan. As I understand it, if someone takes out a loan through either of them and there is a drop in the exchange rate of the A$ to the JY, the LVR may surpass the 70 to 80% mark (after the currency fluctuation is taken into account) and they will request a correction by getting the customer to inject more cash (and it can be quite substantial). Of course, it is more volatile if you start off at LVR 70 to 80%, or close to it. If you started at LVR 50%, you have more comfort zone.

Tokyo NAB offers Japanese Yen loans at cost of funds plus 2% p.a. and out to an LVR of 70%. I think they do an $A loan of out to LVR 80% (with different interest rates). You can see the details at http://www.nabasia.com/tokyo/en/personal.asp?StoryID=5686. Alternatively, you could email Richard Henderson at [email protected] who I'm sure would mail you out an English info package.

Tokyo ANZ offers Japanese Yen loans at cost of funds plus 1.25% p.a., which on 27/2/2004 totalled 1.31% p.a.! :D (70 to 75% LVR). They have a website at http://www.anz.co.jp but mostly in Japanese. I'm sure Ken Torii at [email protected] would mail you out an info package in English.

They seem like similar products, with some variations. Have a read and see what you think. Have you taken out any loans yet through Aussie banks? What was your experience? Did you set them up while you working here in Japan? It would be good to hear your story. :cool:

Cheers, mate, Rising Sun.

Hello fellow tokyo-ittes!
I've been in Tokyo over 12 years,too...I have 2IPs at the moment (had 3 but just sold 1 and looking to purchase a biggie in the next 12 mo. )Boy,Have I had some ups and downs....but totally worth it! ;)
I thought the tokyo NAB only liked 65% LVR???
Anyway..How about we have a Tokyo chapter meet-up?? :)
I,certainly had learnt a lot in 9 years with IPs and even if one other person didn't make one of the mistakes I've made...It'd be worth it :eek:
Feel free to PM me
[email protected]

I'm situated nr Jiyugaoka on the Toyoko line...

cheers.
Ruth

Guys , given the state of the market in Australia ( at top of boom ) and the state of the market in Japan ( depressed , but some places starting to pick up ) , if I was living in Japan at the moment, that's were I'd be investigating buying IP's at the moment. Not saying I'd end up buying, but Id certainly check it out very carefully.

( then I'd report back on what I'd found to all those nice people on somersoft ... :D )

See Change

Hi Rising,

Before you go a head with a loan from one of the banks have a good look at what happens if the exchange rates move 10% either way. If the rate change goes against you and your LVR blows out you may have to put extra cash in to bring it back in line. Also if you plan on leaving Japan you will have to refinance first. Be very careful of anyone who suggests that the banks don't need to know you don't live in Japan anymore.

In regards to investing in Japan, IP's look good when you consider the low interests rates but you need to be aware of the charges (tax and agents 20% of selling price) if you decide to sell later. Unlike Australia you are not permitted to sell privately in some areas. Also as the property gets older the price is currently falling here in Japan and has been on a down cycle for over a decade. Any IP that you buy must be +cash flow and this +cash flow must be enough to cover how much the IP will depreciate over time.

One strange things about Japanese banks is how much you are allowed to pay back or borrowed. It is not the same at all banks but this is a rough guide. Income 20-30K=15%, 30-50K=30% 50K~=40%

Some banks do not allow you to pay out the loan quicker and any renovations must be approved by the bank first.

Also as a foreigner you face an uphill battle even if you have residency.

My suggestion would be to find a vacant block of land and build a set of 1K units the same as Leo Palace does.

Although buying and paying back a mortgage may appear cheaper than renting you will need to do this over a long term period than a short, possibly 10 yrs. All this will depend on the difference between your rent and mortgage and resale value later.

Y33 said:
Hi Rising,

Before you go a head with a loan from one of the banks have a good look at what happens if the exchange rates move 10% either way. If the rate change goes against you and your LVR blows out you may have to put extra cash in to bring it back in line. Also if you plan on leaving Japan you will have to refinance first. Be very careful of anyone who suggests that the banks don't need to know you don't live in Japan anymore.

In regards to investing in Japan, IP's look good when you consider the low interests rates but you need to be aware of the charges (tax and agents 20% of selling price) if you decide to sell later. Unlike Australia you are not permitted to sell privately in some areas. Also as the property gets older the price is currently falling here in Japan and has been on a down cycle for over a decade. Any IP that you buy must be +cash flow and this +cash flow must be enough to cover how much the IP will depreciate over time.

One strange things about Japanese banks is how much you are allowed to pay back or borrowed. It is not the same at all banks but this is a rough guide. Income 20-30K=15%, 30-50K=30% 50K~=40%

Some banks do not allow you to pay out the loan quicker and any renovations must be approved by the bank first.

Also as a foreigner you face an uphill battle even if you have residency.

My suggestion would be to find a vacant block of land and build a set of 1K units the same as Leo Palace does.

Although buying and paying back a mortgage may appear cheaper than renting you will need to do this over a long term period than a short, possibly 10 yrs. All this will depend on the difference between your rent and mortgage and resale value later.

Building units and renting is a great idea
inOz, but from the examples I have seen in Japan....... fees/ prefectural and National govt charges associated costs, agent fees selling and buying costs etc the propostion doesnt look attractive at all.............Have you spoken to an accountant to find out the nitty gritty.
I have a yen loan but it has appreceiated by 8% in 2 years. Are you prepared to bet against the yen or the dollar over the next several years?
ANZ require income of $150,000 and were very unprofessional when I approached them.
I think you must be an exceptional person to buy property at the moment in Japan..there are too many unknowns for me...........however there are oppurtunities.
The market will be stagnet for the next 5 years at least I believe...so oppurtunities abound elsewhere in my books.
My final comment would be to invest in a market that you understand thoroughly otherwise Japan will hit you with something unknown and ruin your plans.
If you intend to live in Japan 15 years then that does change things somewhat but I still think an Investment in OZ NZ would be a far superior return over 15 years

Hello ggumpshots, I agree the market is better in Australia than in Japan but if Rising sun is going to stay here for another 10 yrs then the rent he is paying is totally dead money. Rather than pay, for example, $900/month dead money he may be able to find the right investment that will give him a reasonable return. Any property he buys in OZ needs to return this $900/month through rent or CGG or both. A block of 8 1K units in Japan can be built for around $400K-600K. The average rental return from these style of units is $550/monthX10UnitsX12m =$66K. Interest on the loan is between 1.1%-2.4% depending on the lender. If he can get a 30Yr IO loan at 2% his repayments average out at around 14-16K/yr. This is only a rough caculation and I haven't gone into all the finer points and costs that are associated but if done the right way can give a nice return. 1K unit developments are a cheap way to get into the market here but as with any investing you are exposed to risks. Some main benefits of investing in Japan are: interest rates are not going to have a sudden rates hike and go up to 4-5%, the bubble burst has already brought the prices down and it would be safe to say there wont be another burst where property drops 50-75%, property values in some areas are starting to increase again ever so slightly.

The main point is to do your DD and check with your accountant to see if this style of investing suits your need and budget.

Thank you Rising Sun for starting this tread.

I've been meaning to start something similar as to the opportunities of investing in Japan atm and in the next few years.

As SeeChange has put it very eloquently OZ market is on its way down and will stagnate for few more years to come. So no rush with that. On the negative side of the OZ market is that it is almost impossible to find cf+ properties atm.

Back to Japan REI. I have done only preliminary investigations on Tokyo REI, but would like the Japan based members to educate me and the forum further more on the opportunities and the procedure to acquire IP's in Japan by OZ investors. Mainly few things:
1. Is Tokyo the only city to have cf+ properties or those can be found all over Japan?
2. Which other cities would be good for IPs?
3. What is the average rate of return, ie yield?
4. I can’t seem to find many online (English) sites which deal with selling of units... can you help us with that?
5. Is there a specific procedure to follow, like approvals, documents, residency etc, when purchasing IPs?

Thanks
V

Hey guys!

Thanks for your input.

Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a while, so quite a late reply. I didn't have any replies for a while so I thought no one was interested. But now that I've looked back there was some interest.

I have been working hard this year and started on my my Doctoral studies a couple of months ago. Therefore, friggin' busy :confused: . By the way, just got my "eijuken", permanent residence visa a couple of days ago. Totally stoked about that ... don't have to apply for another visa again in my life here ... just re-entry permits. Life wasn't meant to be easy, as an ex-sheep farmer once said :) Bugger!

Still got my eyes out :eek: for a residence to call mine. Would love to hear from fellow Tokyo-ites, or those in Japan, or with experience/interest in Japan. Maybe we can help each other out. I hope that's one of the reasons why this forum exists.

By the way, Tokyo-ites, did you see an article in the free English magazine here, Metropolis, about a foreigner buying a house here a month or so ago? Check it out. It may be available on the website.

A meeting in Tokyo of fellow Tokyo-ites/Japan-ites would be great. Beer, sake, PI talk ... anyone interested?

Cheers, Rising Sun.

Rising Sun said:
By the way, Tokyo-ites, did you see an article in the free English magazine here, Metropolis, about a foreigner buying a house here a month or so ago? Check it out. It may be available on the website.

Hi Rising Sun

Great thread! I'm finding this interesting reading.

For those of us that can't get a copy of Metropolis, could you tell us a bit about the article? You said enough to make me curious.

Cheers

Yeah, hello you Japanese residents.

Hows things going over there? Gee, the Japanese stock market is on fire! How's property? Booming too I suppose. Unlike Oz, it seems to me that stocks and property boom together over there. Both topped out in 1990 followed by 15 years of gloom. Wonder if the cycle will repeat?

Interesting the property valuations. Must be some money making opportunities, especially with investment markets being so crook for so long and stuff all interest rates.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Terry W.

I liked this story from that site. Thought I would post it here....

See ya's.

Take It From Japan: Bubbles Hurt

By MARTIN FACKLER

KASHIWA, Japan

FOURTEEN years ago, Yoshihisa Nakashima looked at this sleepy suburb an hour and
20 minutes from downtown Tokyo and saw all the trappings of middle-class
Japanese bliss: cherry-tree-lined roads, a cozy community where neighbors
greeted one another in the morning and schools within easy walking distance for
his two daughters.

So Mr. Nakashima, a Tokyo city government employee who was then 36, took out a
loan for almost the entire $400,000 price of a cramped four-bedroom apartment.
With property values rising at double-digit rates, he would easily earn back the
loan and then some when he decided to sell.

Or so he thought. Not long after he bought the apartment, Japan's property
market collapsed. Today, the apartment is worth half what he paid. He said he
would like to move closer to the city but cannot: the sale price would not cover
the $300,000 he still owes the bank.

With housing prices in the United States looking wobbly after years of
spectacular gains, it may be helpful to look at the last major economy to have a
real estate bubble pop: Japan. What Americans see may scare them, but they may
also learn ways to ease the pain.

To be sure, there are several major differences between Japan in the 1980's and
the United States today. One is the fact that property prices rose much faster
and more steeply in Japan, partly because speculators used paper profits from a
booming stock market to invest in property, insupportably leveraging the prices
of both higher and higher.

Another difference is that the biggest speculators in Japan's frenzy were
deep-pocketed corporations, and they pumped up the commercial property market at
the same time that home prices were inflating.

Still, for anyone wondering why even the possibility of a housing bubble in the
United States preoccupies so many economists, it is worth looking at how the
property crash in Japan helped to flatten that economy, which is second only to
that of the United States, and to keep it on the canvas for more than a decade.

And as American homeowners contemplate what might happen if their property
values fell -particularly if they fell hard - there are lessons in the bitter
experiences of their Japanese counterparts like Mr. Nakashima.

JAPAN suffered one of the biggest property market collapses in modern history.
At the market's peak in 1991, all the land in Japan, a country the size of
California, was worth about $18 trillion, or almost four times the value of all
property in the United States at the time.

Then came the crashes in both stocks and property, after the Japanese central
bank moved too aggressively to raise interest rates. Both markets spiraled
downward as investors sold stocks to cover losses in the land market, and vice
versa, plunging prices into a 14-year trough, from which they are only now
starting to recover.

Now the land in Japan is worth less than half its 1991 peak, while property in
the United States has more than tripled in value, to about $17 trillion.

Homeowners were among the biggest victims of the Japanese real estate bubble. In
Japan's six largest cities, residential prices dropped 64 percent from 1991 to
last year. By most estimates, millions of homebuyers took substantial losses on
the largest purchase of their lives.

Their experiences contain many warnings. One is to shun the sort of temptations
that appear in red-hot real estate markets, particularly the use of risky or
exotic loans to borrow beyond one's means. Another is to avoid property that may
be hard to unload when the market cools.

Economists say Japan also contains lessons for United States policy makers, like
Ben S. Bernanke , who is expected to become chairman of the Federal Reserve at
the end of January. At the top of the list is to learn from the failure of
Japan's central bank to slow the rise of the country's real estate and stock
bubbles, and then its failure to soften their collapse. Only recently did Japan
finally find ways to revive the real estate market, by using deregulation to
spur new development.

Most of all, economists say, Japan's experience teaches the need to be skeptical
of that fundamental myth behind all asset bubbles: that prices will keep rising
forever. Like their United States counterparts today, too many Japanese
homebuyers overextended their debt, buying property that cost more than they
could rationally afford because they assumed that values would only rise. When
prices dropped, many buyers were financially battered or even wiped out.

"The biggest lesson from Japan is not to fall into the same state of denial that
existed here," said Yukio Noguchi, a finance professor at Waseda University in
Tokyo who is perhaps the leading authority on the Japanese bubble.

"During a bubble, people don't believe that prices will fall," he said. "This
has been proven wrong so many times in the past. But there's something in human
nature that makes us unable to learn from history."

In the 1980's, Professor Noguchi said, the frenzy in Japan reached such extremes
that companies tried to outbid one another even for land of little or no use. At
the peak, an empty three-square-meter parcel (about 32 square feet) in a corner
of the Ginza shopping district in Tokyo sold for $600,000, even though it was
too small to build on.

Plots only slightly larger gave birth to bizarre structures known as pencil
buildings: tall, thin structures that often had just one small room per floor.

As a result, Japan's property market in the 1980's was much more fragile than
America's today, Professor Noguchi said. And when the market fell, it fell hard.
Because of all the corporate speculation, the collapse wiped out company balance
sheets, crippled the nation's banks and gave the overall economy a blow to the
chin.

Since 1991, Japan has spent 11 years sliding in and out of recession. It is only
now showing meaningful signs of recovering, with the World Bank forecasting that
Japan's economy will grow by a solid 2.2 percent this year

Despite the differences, Professor Noguchi said he also saw parallels between
Japan then and America now. Last year, as a visiting professor at Stanford, he
said he read real estate articles in local newspapers that sounded eerily
familiar. Houses were routinely selling for $10 million or more, he said, with
buyers saying they felt that they had no choice but to buy now, before prices
rose even further.

"It was deja vu," Professor Noguchi said. "People were in a rush to buy, and at
extraordinary prices. I saw this same haste psychology in Japan" in the 1980's.
"The classic definition of a bubble," he added, "is people buying on false
expectations about future prices, and buying with the hope of selling in the
future."

Economists and real estate experts see other parallels as well. In the 1980's,
the expectation of rising real estate prices made many Japanese homebuyers feel
comfortable about taking on huge debt. And they did so by using exotic loans
that required little money upfront and that promised low monthly payments, at
least for a short time.

A similar pattern is found today in the United States, where the methods include
interest-only mortgages, which allow homebuyers to repay no principal for a few
years. Japan had its own versions of these loans, including the so-called
three-generation loan, a 90- or even 100-year mortgage that permitted buyers to
spread payments out over their lifetimes and those of their children and
grandchildren.

But when property prices dropped in Japan, homeowners found themselves saddled
with loans far larger than the value of their real estate. Many fell into
bankruptcy, especially those who lost their jobs or took pay cuts as declining
property prices helped to incite a broader recession. From 1994 to 2003, the
number of personal bankruptcies rose sixfold, to a record high of 242,357,
according to the Japanese Supreme Court, which tracks such data.

Even many of those who avoided financial collapse found themselves marooned in
homes that they never intended as lifelong residences. For many Japanese
homebuyers in the 1980's, land prices had risen so high that the only places
they could afford were far from central Tokyo. Many went deep into debt to buy
tiny or shoddily built homes that were two hours away from their offices.

Now, after years of tumbling land prices have made Tokyo more affordable again,
few people are shopping for homes in the distant suburbs. That has led to severe
declines in property values in these outlying areas, leaving many people with
homes that are worth less than the balance on their mortgages from a decade or
more ago.

Mr. Nakashima, who bought the apartment here in Kashiwa, said it would take him
at least another decade to whittle down his loan to the point that he could pay
it off by selling his home. And this assumes that the apartment does not drop
further in value - a real possibility, because lower prices in Tokyo have led to
a recent boom in construction of newer apartments in neighborhoods closer to
downtown.

"We can't sell and get something better because we'll take such a huge loss,"
said Mr. Nakashima, a serious man who recounts his story with careful precision,
sometimes pausing to check dates. "The collapse of the bubble robbed us of our
freedom to choose where we can live."

He rues the idea that homes came to be seen as just another investment. "Homes
should be different from stocks," he said. "They shouldn't be the object of
speculative investing. If home prices move too much, they can ruin your life."

Mr. Nakashima says he is resigned to spending the rest of his days in Kashiwa.
It is peaceful here, after all, he said. There is also a bit of history: he
pointed to two tree-covered mounds in a corner of the apartment complex that are
said to contain the severed heads of samurai killed in a battle here five
centuries ago.

Some economists say that there are probably millions of people like Mr.
Nakashima, trying to make the best of life in homes that are distant from work
and for which they grossly overpaid. "There is a whole generation of homebuyers
stuck out in far suburbs," said Atsushi Nakajima, chief economist at the
research arm of the Mizuho Financial Group in Tokyo. "It's sad, but Japan has
basically forgotten about them, and is moving on. They are just left out there."

Mr. Nakajima said he had barely missed being stuck out there himself. In 1991,
he was looking at a 100-square-meter apartment (1,080 square feet) for about
$600,000 about two hours outside Tokyo. He said his wife stopped him. Six years
later, he spent the same amount to buy a more spacious house in a downtown
neighborhood. "Maybe my wife should be the economist," he said.

Now that Japan's real estate market is finally showing signs of recovering from
the 1991 collapse, economists say it offers a lesson for Americans in how to end
- and not to end - a long slide in property prices.

For years after the real estate bubble burst, the Japanese government tried to
resuscitate the market and other parts of the economy with expensive public
works projects, but they were so poorly planned that they succeeded only in
inflating the national debt.

NOT until the late 1990's did the government try a new tack: deregulation. To
kick-start the economy, Tokyo started loosening restrictions on the financial
industry. While most of this effort was aimed at reviving the banking industry,
it also allowed investors to create real estate investment trusts, essentially
mutual funds that invest in commercial property. A few years later, the
government also eased building codes, such as height limits, and cut approval
times for building permits.

Economists and real estate executives credit these changes with bringing new
money into the market, and with making redevelopment easier. The results are
visible in a boom that is dotting the Tokyo skyline with cranes and new
high-rises.

They are also visible in statistics. Residential home prices in Tokyo rose 0.5
percent in the 12 months through July, the first gain in 15 years, the
government said in September. Nationwide, land prices are still down, but the
pace of decline has slowed to a crawl, the government said.

"Deregulation revived the Tokyo land market," said Toshio Nagashima, executive
vice president at Mitsubishi Estate, one of Japan's largest real estate
companies. He said the changes were one reason that his company committed to
spend $4.5 billion by 2007 to build six skyscrapers in the central Marunouchi
financial district.

Japanese economists say the United States is not likely to suffer a decline that
is as severe or long-lasting as Japan's, because they see a more skilled hand at
the tiller of the American economy: the Federal Reserve. Japan's central bank,
the Bank of Japan, failed to curb the stock and real estate bubbles until
mid-1989, when it was too late and prices were sky-high, they said.

When it did take action, it moved faster and more drastically than Japan's
overinflated land and stock markets could handle, raising its benchmark interest
rate to 6 percent from 2.5 percent over 15 months. Economists say that this
pulled the rug out from under both markets at the same time.

Akio Makabe, a finance professor at Shinshu University in Matsumoto, says the
Fed has been more deft in handling the rise in America's property market, which
he believes is definitely in a bubble. He praised the Fed for apparently
learning from Japan's mistakes, tightening more gradually and taking the
economy's pulse as it does so.

"Japan shows the importance of avoiding a hard landing," Professor Makabe said.
"Avoid big shocks. That is the biggest lesson of Japan's bubble."

If you have a LOC in Australia, secured against Australian property, can you use that to purchase IP's/ properties in Japan without any further approvals? (assuming your LOC covered the cost of the purchase?

Pen

Gosh ... in all the time I've been here I've never seen so many Jp resident forumites posting in the one thread.

I have IP back in Oz and have Oz sourced CBA loans. I feel now would be a terrible time to secure a yen loan against Oz IP, as the ex rate has far too much potential to screw you.

Why not get Oz IP with AUD loans & also Jp IP with yen loans. Then down the road as the wind changes you could have the chance to convert an AUD loan into a yen one or the other way. I may be looking at Jp IP next but there's a lot of homework to do.

Good advice

Dear all,

Thanks for your replies. Pato san, good advice. I'm seriously thinking of going this way now. I'm thinking of getting a Japanese yen loan for a PPOR here in Japan and getting an Aussie dollar loan for an IP/s in Australia. I want to get a PPOR (old house) here for a couple of reasons: I intend to stay here for a while, houses are the cheapest they have been in 14 years, the interest on Japanese yen loans are so cheap, old houses lose their value here and go back to only land value after 20-30 years.

Hope to hear from other people too.

Keep on risin' :cool: , Rising Sun.

Rising Sun said:
Dear all,

Thanks for your replies. Pato san, good advice. I'm seriously thinking of going this way now. I'm thinking of getting a Japanese yen loan for a PPOR here in Japan and getting an Aussie dollar loan for an IP/s in Australia. I want to get a PPOR (old house) here for a couple of reasons: I intend to stay here for a while, houses are the cheapest they have been in 14 years, the interest on Japanese yen loans are so cheap, old houses lose their value here and go back to only land value after 20-30 years.

Hope to hear from other people too.

Keep on risin' :cool: , Rising Sun.
The yen V dollar has moved about 20% in the last 2 1/2 years. I f you buy and have to return to OZ in the short term will/may this be a problem in the future.
Now might be a real unwise time to take a yen loan , but if you have a lot of time then any currency changes will be unimportant to savings made on a yen loan.
If you have sufficient income in both curiencies, and are assured your property wont go backwards in sale price then buying in both countries is the way to go, but for me, I have many unanswered questions.

I have been given contradictory information on buying property in Japan and associated costs. Can anyone help?
Currently, for investment properties...........

What Capital gains taxes are there ?

What inheritance taxes?

What National Prefectural and local Taxes? Land Taxes?

What percentage does a Property Manager take to look after a property.?

What Rent Disputes Mechanisms exit? How effective are they? What costs are involved ......minimal or substantial?

The laws are heavily in favor of the leasee , so how difficult is it to recover unpaid rent/ evict a tenant?/ increase rent?

What are Transaction costs for buying and selling a property?

Are all costs/interest associated with an IP dedutable?

What would you expect an accountant to charge to maximise ones tax return?

What would be a reasonable yield, on, a managed property house / apartment in your area/ japan?

Depreceiation schedules seem better/ more generous than OZ. Is that your take on things?

How do these laws differ for a PPR compared to an IP?

Is there a MEGUMI SOMERS who has written the equivilent JAN SOMERS property book?

How much is earthquake Insurance ?????????????????
:D :D

Back