Managed Funds

Can anyone expand on how you can invest equity/LOC that is secured against IP's into managed funds to assist the shortfall on neg geared IP's?

Is this eg correct?

Access 100k Loc
Invest in managed funds at 10% return pa = 10k
meet IO 7.5% pa repayments on LOC = 7.5k
Walk away with 2.5k to assit in covering shortfall on neg geared IP's

Cheers

Are you assuming the fund is going to pay a distribution of 10%???? If you're going on the rates funds advertise, it is a combination of income from the distributions and growth in the unit price.

Is this eg correct?

Pretty much. Just be careful as Twobobsworth says, that often performance is quoted as a combination of income and growth.

There are aslo tax implications/benefits depending on the type of fund (eg deferred tax, franking credits etc)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Can anyone expand on how you can invest equity/LOC that is secured against IP's into managed funds to assist the shortfall on neg geared IP's?

Is this eg correct?

Access 100k Loc
Invest in managed funds at 10% return pa = 10k
meet IO 7.5% pa repayments on LOC = 7.5k
Walk away with 2.5k to assit in covering shortfall on neg geared IP's

Cheers

Hypothetically such a plan might go something like this ... I am no adviser though so this is not advice - just idle chat.

Find a managed fund that focuses on income rather than growth. Frequency of payment is important. Monthly payments are ideal but quarterly is probably the best you will find.

Use your $100K LOC to open a margin loan. Draw $200K to buy units in the fund. This is a safer 50% LVR rather than using the max 70% usually available for a good fund.

Use the income from the fund to pay your interest bill. Might be something left over that you can reinvest.

Best of luck,

Also a lot of the income derived from managed funds is from realised capital gains so unless you have losses to offset against them you'll be paying your fair share of CGT.

Just looking back on the income component only from the (income oriented) funds I use:

CFS Prop Sec: 11.99% pa avg for past 3yrs
DB RREEF: 11.75% pa avg for past 3yrs
Colliers Int Prop: 8.16% pa (1 year data only)
Navra:17.24% (05-06 FY), 9.57% (YTD 06-07 FY)
MQ Multi Strat Cap Prot #1: ~4% pa (1 year data only)
MQ EIFF: Yet to distribute

Cheers,

The Y-man

So how long does a bank usually require you to receive the income for it to take it into the account when calculating your serviceability?

Thanks for the feedback!

Can anyone recommend any reading on this topic?

The more I think about it the more questions I have.

Cheers

Back