Management fee so high in Brisbane?

I am wondering why management fee is so high in Brisbane? They charge >8% up there. Do they do more work than NSW?

Compare that to inner-west NSW which I pay 4.4%.

Curious about this as well.

The rate is comparable to regional NSW where there are not much competitions.... after all other fees, the cost is about a whooping 12% ish in total. But won't complain if they're excellent though :) if only my NSW PM is as good as one in Brisbane

Don't Qld agents still work on a scale of fees?

How does the 8% compare against the 4.4% ie is 8% of $500/wk more than the 4.4% of your $1200/wk? Same amount of work.

You don't get out much EN710, barely gets anything half reasonable on this side of the harbour or near town.

Which side lol? Has the market moved that far?? Either way, I can only afford $500-$700pw apartment so only ever rent around Crows nest and Chatswood, nothing 'Harbour' ish
:(

.... Only need an apartment, no wonder I have never seen those. But OP said inner west though, and I assume mid-market property? Unless he's talking about inner west from Bondi.

The minimum amount is Queensland you can charge is 5% + GST. But you get what you pay for. What is or isn't included in your 4.4%?

What is or isn't included in your 8% quotes?

There actually isn't an awful lot in it for agency even at 8%. ever worked out the running costs for an office? Just like all tenants seem to think landlords are wealthy capitalists... It seems as though all landlords seem to think agencies are just the same. At the end of the day both landlords and agencies are running a business..

A decent PM in Brisbane with experience who won't leave in 9 months will bring $65kpa + these days.

If rent is above 300pw you could look at pure rentals flat fee.

II haven't used them, as I don't want to use a discount type PM and I'm only choosing PMs based on recommendations

But if it's the rate you're looking for there is that option..

If rent is above 300pw you could look at pure rentals flat fee.

II haven't used them, as I don't want to use a discount type PM and I'm only choosing PMs based on recommendations

But if it's the rate you're looking for there is that option..

Was considering them, for rental about the low $300, they're on par in terms of cost with other agents I talked to, minus the hassles of adding things up (yes, that letting fees, admin fees etc). Cost wise i think they're very appealing when you have $400+ per week property.

The minimum amount is Queensland you can charge is 5% + GST. But you get what you pay for. What is or isn't included in your 4.4%?

I see a lot of different agent stmts and I am sometimes surprised by the little extra charges that some creep on top of the fee:
- A fee for fortnightly banking to client (Banking fee). For a free EFT transfer ?
- An annual stmt charge $33-$100 - And I have some tight **** clients who opt out and then expect me to add up 12 stmts and each category of cost...They pay the $100 to me then !!
- Monthly sundries (with our without postage)
- Postage charge $3-$8pm
- A % charge on top of third party payments eg repairs (One was 20%)
- A fee for NOT using the agent for all strata payments - Guess who managed the strata ?
- A fee for inspections
- Lease prep fee from $100-$550
- Fee to attend Tribunal / hearing
- Fee for holding an open home for prospective tenants (that one I recall also charged a lease prep fee of the first weeks rent.)

The ones with all the extras tend to be the cheaper ones. The McGraths of the world charge top shelf and don't add extras.

Surprising few agents email stmts. Most post. The software doesn't seem to come from too many providers and is fairly poor. eg : GST on agent fees is often a separate line item - A issue that is irrelevant for resi rents.

The most common is the sundries...$5avg. For a PM with 300 rentals that's $18K a year on top of the regular fees.

Hi Kennyboi - 4.4% is cheap for Sydney these days. Either the area is very competative or your agent is new. I am based in the Hills District & I charge 7.7% and $5.5/mth admin fee (includes GST). No other fees apply unless I find you a new tenant then its 1 weeks rent + GST + $16.50 for the paperwork. I like to keep it simple.:)

Was considering them, for rental about the low $300, they're on par in terms of cost with other agents I talked to, minus the hassles of adding things up (yes, that letting fees, admin fees etc). Cost wise i think they're very appealing when you have $400+ per week property.

I use them and I'm getting $500+ for my property so I'm probably ahead. Can't say I've had any real issues so far but it's still early days.

Back