Managing maintenance myself

Hi all

I'm considering discussing with my current property manager the possibility of taking over management of maintenance issues myself. I'm interstate, so don't intent to actual do the maint myself, just organise/manage it.

I'd feel better controlling it myself, and the current arrangement just seems to add time, confusion, and frustration (both tenants & myself) on often relatively simple issues.

Property is in Watsonia VIC, and I already have builder & plumber contacts I trust, just need a 'general maint' type person on the books. Anyone have a recommendation?

I'll be leaving general management to to current agent, ensuring the option is still there for the tenants to contact them for emergency type maint if required.

Appreciate anyone's advice/opinions/suggestions for what I'm considering...

- Craig.

Hi Craig, from what you have written it sounds like you have doubts on your PM ability and dont believe he is doing the right thing for you. So why keep him as your PM and not find a capable PM?

Hi Craig

Just let your PM know - I'm sure they won't have an issue with it given that they'll still be getting remunerated albeit for less work (unless they charge a commission for arranging repairs).

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Craig,

A capable property manager should be able to keep communication lines open through all steps of arranging maintenance, but if you feel as though this is not happening or it is getting too complicated I would feel free to bring it up with your property manager.

Some landlords like to have their own contacts for maintenance due to relatives or family friends owning businesses etc, and this can work smoothly if the contractor/maintenance person is trustworthy and can also effectively communicate with the property manager, yourself and the tenant.

It's case by case with each landlord and property in my experience, but the main thing is that you're getting value and good service from your property manager, and your life is made as easy as possible as you are already paying them to take care of the property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back