Maroondah subdivision diary

Hi All just want to share my first journey into a subdivision and build project
feels like contributing back to the forum sorry to copy ur thead title evisional :D

project goal: to create a profit in either cash to pay down our ppor mortgage from selling the subdivided block or townhouse/hold for equity gain

10/5/2013 settled on the property and its our ppor $510000
the block is triangle with the existing property sitting pretty close to the fence so leaving a smaller triangle block roughtly 500m2

05/2013 engaged a company to handle the town planning, building and subdivision rather than reason being
a: never done any active investing before so feel better leaving it to the pros and I can learn as I go so that I can either do it myself in the future or keep using the same company if I can get a discount :D honestly though I would rather give away abit of the profit to the pros who know how to deal with the council and minimize the cost of building by having a efficient' drawing 'then not making any money at all given our lack of experience
b: we r relatively time poor as I am self employed and partner being a nurse so different shifts....
After a brief meeting I was advised that two smaller townhouses could be possible so agreed to proceed

3/6/13 surveyor attended for site survey

Last edited:
Would be good if you can post some figures so the more experience guys in this forum can give you suggestions/feedback if it is worth doing

Which company do you engage?

A wise decision engaging a company to help you project manage. I'm assuming that you've gone for a private town planner to guide you through. Many of the seasoned developers whom I work with still use their own town planner- makes life much easier.

In my experience, Maroondah are one of the better councils to deal with, so you shouldn't have any issues with them.

Look forward to reading through your progress.

4/7/13: got the concept plan
plz feel free to comment on it any smarter design given this awkward block:cool:
my partner really dislikes that laundry upstairs in unit 1 LOL
concept plans.png

4/7/13: got the concept plan
plz feel free to comment on it any smarter design given this awkward block:cool:
my partner really dislikes that laundry upstairs in unit 1 LOL
View attachment 10524

I think it could be improved. I know each council has different variations on setbacks and how much private open space is required but I would ask if more space could be on the ground floor for a simple cupboard laundry. It might even fit under the stairs.

Overall I think the design could be improved simply by moving the PPOR garage to the front or close the the front side of the PPOR if possible. Then the the houses would have more room and could be designed in a more efficient build shape.

hmmmm looks like we need to consider relocating the garage to give the other units more space

hopefully I dont need the council's approval to demolish the garage:cool:

Anyone removed a single garage in Melbourne before? How much would u expect to pay any recommendation?

Maybe it's just me, but its looks really small especially for the area. Could you maybe change the units to make a slightly irregular shape by building along the red dotted line?

hmmmm looks like we need to consider relocating the garage to give the other units more space

hopefully I dont need the council's approval to demolish the garage:cool:

Anyone removed a single garage in Melbourne before? How much would u expect to pay any recommendation?

On the plus side a garage close to the house is much better for your PPOR than a garage out the back. You might even be able to put in a double carport.

Depending on the area, you could run into issues with streetscape neighbourhood character aka dominance of garages. If so, you'd probably require a planning permit. Maroondah council are notorious, amongst others.

If it's Res 1 zone, you'd need minimum 25sqm secluded private open space per townhouse, along with the other POS requirements. You might want to optimise your ground floor areas and keep in mind optimal northern orientation to the living areas and backyards.

Design is an exciting journey..enjoy it!

Hi All just want to share my first journey into a subdivision and build project
feels like contributing back to the forum sorry to copy ur thead title evisional :D

project goal: to create a profit in either cash to pay down our ppor mortgage from selling the subdivided block or townhouse/hold for equity gain

10/5/2013 settled on the property and its our ppor $510000
the block is triangle with the existing property sitting pretty close to the fence so leaving a smaller triangle block roughtly 500m2

05/2013 engaged a company to handle the town planning, building and subdivision rather than reason being
a: never done any active investing before so feel better leaving it to the pros and I can learn as I go so that I can either do it myself in the future or keep using the same company if I can get a discount :D honestly though I would rather give away abit of the profit to the pros who know how to deal with the council and minimize the cost of building by having a efficient' drawing 'then not making any money at all given our lack of experience
b: we r relatively time poor as I am self employed and partner being a nurse so different shifts....
After a brief meeting I was advised that two smaller townhouses could be possible so agreed to proceed

3/6/13 surveyor attended for site survey

18/7/13 The guys at CDS had a pre-application meeting with the council

6/8/13 amended drawing following the council meeting resulted in more 'independent' townhouses so hopefully a bonus compared to the prior duplux design? but garage has to go so extra cost

Attachments

• Ground level.png
    Ground level.png
    200 KB · Views: 209
  • Ground level (2).png
    Ground level (2).png
    144.8 KB · Views: 185
Good to hear your story FFchaser.

Just a quick word of warning, I wouldn't ever undertake the initial site survey before the pre-app meeting with council. If something were to pop up with council to hinder the project or ruin profits then I'd feel guilty selling the client on a survey prior to this knowledge.

However, sounds like you've got the ball rolling and all the best to you.

Cheers,

A question here guys

I am currently living in the property and trying to renovate it so just did the floor boards and painting myself

now going to focus on the money draining bathroom kitchen and laundry...before I go getting quotes though, do u guys think its a good idea in terms of cost to wait till the construction of the new units begin so that the tradies may accept some discount as they have 3 dwellings jobs to play with instead of 2? Or I am just dreaming?

Update here

29/10/13: council changed its mind and wont support 2 units so we now have the following plan. The project now is build one and retain the existing one
well after all its my first attempt so its a good experience and there is a reduction in equity generated but not too much compared to building 2 units:eek:

Attachments

• plan.png
    plan.png
    387 KB · Views: 203
Back