Melbourne Apartments 2015

A lot of maserati/ferarri driving kids may not be as rich as you think. In China, it is common to pretend to be rich.

Didn't want to specify the Chinese but yes, they do have "share buying" schemes.

This same scheme can be utilized in different scales too.

Good point, Magma.

May I suggest, it is because, Port Melbourne is already very popular with buyers, therefore the prices there are already at their top levels.

I am helping my friend to sell an apartment in South Melbourne. The buyers who inspected this property were looking to buy in South Melbourne or Port Melbourne. And most of them have eventually bought in Port Melbourne.

The South Melbourne on the other hand, has a compromised reputation of a suburb, that is at risk of oversupply of apartments.

In the last 2-3 years, whenever I was talking to different mortgage brokers, I would get a consistent advice: don't buy anything in Sth Melb, as there are too many apartments being build. Although, in today's reality high density apartments are being built everywhere in high quantities.

As a result, property investors are not looking to buy in South Melbourne. All the people, who enquired about that apartment were looking for something to move in as a primary residence.

To me, it's the opposite. I cross the road to work, go home for lunch breaks, can work extra if I want to and am a stone's throw away from anything I can think of. My front yard is the parks scattered around the city and I get to jog anytime I want because its very unlikely to get stabbed in the major streets that doesn't sleep. We got police patrolling regularly and the council cleans the streets everyday. I don't have to worry about traffic because I tram anywhere that's too far to walk to (for free) within the city. If I want a holiday, I got an array of rental cars to choose from, even car share company are scattered throughout the city. I save a lot of money & time in this setup and the only sacrifice I can think of is the strata lifestyle and smaller floor space. CG is stagnant but this is my long term PPOR anyway.

In summary, my lifestyle has improved a lot when I moved to the city. But then again, it's a case to case basis. It all depends on the individual's preference and goal in life. :D

I do recall a lady get stabbed to death on the way to work in the Queen Victoria Gardens just off St Kilda Rd a few years back.... http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...-botanic-gardens/story-fni0fee2-1226971444840

I do recall a lady get stabbed to death on the way to work in the Queen Victoria Gardens just off St Kilda Rd a few years back....

pretty sure that's outside the CBD. Swanston Street ends in Flinders and "becomes" St Kilda Road outside the CBD.

Flinders gets crazy at night but the police constantly does rounds around that area.

Good point, Magma.

May I suggest, it is because, Port Melbourne is already very popular with buyers, therefore the prices there are already at their top levels...

When I was looking for a long term PPOR, strata fees in the CBD were actually cheaper than the Port Melbourne ones that I was heavily considering. In terms of price point, floor space etc... they're pretty much the same. Location became the winning factor in the end (and the strata fees)

I do like the dog friendly beach there. So even with the east development, I guess it would be absurd for the current prices to keep appreciating because prospective buyers would rather take their money elsewhere given the range that Port Melbourne is currently offering.

If city living makes so much a difference, I'd rent in city and still buy somewhere else. No guarantee that you're going to work in the city forever right? While an apartment in the city is pretty much.....stuck with you once you bought it.

Back