Melbourne relocation

We may be relocating to Victoria with my husbands work and he will need to be in between or in distance of the suburbs such as
Airport West, Campberfield, Southbank, Doveto, Eltham and Preston and we have no idea on Victoria. We are a young family and need to be close to all major things such as shops, Dr's, schools, hospitals (as i am expecting) but suburban not too far from city - can you recommend a reasonable priced area for relocating young family with good jobs and a pet?

smg,

Where will your husband be working? All those suburbs you have mentioned are all over the place....maybe you are best with purchasing a property in the Melbourne CBD so you are close to everything. Alternatives could be Carlton, Richmond, North Melbourne or Parkville.

If you purchase an apartment, just make sure you enquire with the body corporate to check that pets are allowed in the apartment block as some do not allow them.

Looking at your suburbs, most are to the northwest of Melbourne CBD other than southbank which is just a stone's throw south of the CBD and doveton a long way south. Did you mention all these suburbs because his work requires him to travel a lot?

you probably have to get past the landlords first with the pet issue as not many are accepting of pets in their properties not to mention as Aaron said body corps. Whats your budget by the way?

Other than the suburbs Aaron mentioned, looking at Brunswick, Brunswick East, Fairfield, Thornbury, Northcote may suit as they are reasonably central with access to freeways (sort of - eastern freeway, East link, Citylink). Facilities are plenty but I'm not up to date with the schools part.

Personally I would avoid the Northern suburbs as their road transport is shocking. I just drove through High Street yesterday at about 10am (against the traffic) and I would hate to see what it'd be like during peak times. Stick to the Eastern suburbs for better transportation, especially if your husband is traveling a lot.

Other Northern suburbs you can consider

I suggest Pascoe Vale, Oak Park, Glenroy suburbs. These are other northern suburbs and from these suburbs, it's easy and fast to get to Campbellfield, Airport West and Preston. Rental is reasonable for a three bedroom house with big land (50X140). Lots of lovely reserves to walk your pet. They are all on the train line with zone 1 stations. Easy to get to the city via the Tullamarine freeway, fast too so you can get to Southbank quickly. Also easy and fast travel to Royal Melbourne Women's hospital also via Tullamarine freeway.

Rentals as well as sales are a bit pricey in Brunswick and Brunswick East. Also you may be in a smallish house with small land as these are much older suburbs, not so suitable for a pet. Thornbury, Fairfield, Brunswick are much further away from Airport West and Campbellfield than the suburbs I mentioned, also pricier. Oh yes, one more thing, Pascoe Vale, Oak Park and Glenroy are convenient to Melbourne airport. They are not right next to the airport and not under any flight paths or anything like that but it doesn't cost a fortune to take a taxi to the airport. For instance, from my place in Glenroy, I pay $22 taxi fare to get to the airport when I want to go for a holiday.

Back