mens fitted fashion shirts...

as in NOT old mens office shirts :D.

Q to the young guys who iron their own shirts.

Can you recommend brands of fitted shirts that are easy to iron.

Son will be needing a few for his 5 day week work placement and so far the brands he buys are crap to iron - these are not the real cheap shirts either.

He will be doing his own ironing and doesn't want to make it any harder than it should be.

He scoffed at the suggestion of going to the uniform shop of his old school and picking up some white shirts which could be put in the dryer for a burst of heat instead of needing an iron (I was joking).

Price range up to $100 if the quality is good and preferably brands that can be sourced easily and cheaper off the internet.

Just about all golf shirts don't need to be ironed - I haven't had to iron one in years - the materials are mostly poly/cotton blend, so this is what to look for in the fashion shirts as well.

Simply hang out immediately after washing and they will dry almost wrinkle free...even a short session on "cool" in the dryer when they are almost dry will do wonders.

Marcs and Saba fitted shirts are horrible to iron.

Never had trouble with Herringbone. Nice range too. Tho on the pricey side.

Thanks everyone. Showed son and he thought he might try out the country road first, and start by buying a neutral, casual shirt, that doubles up as a work shirt, and if that turns out to be OK he'd go out and buy some more.

http://www.countryroad.com.au/shop/man/clothing/shirts--casual#catpage=3

http://www.countryroad.com.au/shop/man/clothing/shirts--career

I need to buy another iron as well - last iron was a lot better so I know the iron makes a difference too.

Ironing... the worst job in the world.

Here's the Harvie and Hudson link

http://www.harvieandhudson.com/

I got some of their clearance shirts - double cuff - recently. Very easy to iron, 100% cotton, collar stays, neck and sleeve length specified and very well made.

I have had some of their shirts since early 2007 and they show no wear.

ETA - you don't pay VAT on them as they not sold in the UK.

Calvin Klein on sale at myer not bad
Ralph Lauren on sale again custom fit one just bought 4

Both are great shirts, I usually get mine tailored but have been to Asia in 16 months

I'm also one of those skinny people which normal business shirts don't fit .

I second Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, and they have an Oz site as well www.ctshirts.com.au.

Easily best value shirts out there. For those that don't know, Jermyn Street is the second largest mens formal fashion location in London after Savile Row.

They have a 6 month guarantee to back this up too.

That's why I get mine done at the laundromat.

Agree, that's a smart thing to do.

Ironing is something I've avoided all along hence why I'm not about to start with son's hard to iron choice of shirts.

I figured by recommending he buy non iron or easy iron clothing and teaching him tricks like throwing clothing into the dryer -not packed in- and then putting them on clothes hangers or folding right (body heat does the rest) I'm teaching him valuable life skills :).

Geez, I'm more than happy to do that for him too but I draw the line at standing over a iron more than occasionally.

If he can't get away with this and needs to iron -it's only 3 months FT- he can at least learn how to do it and later decide what he does (will let him know laundromats do ironing).

Last edited:
You can get Geoffrey Beene Shirst for under $100. Good value in my opinion, i don't have any guns but they would show they off nicely if i did

At the dry cleaner you can get 10 shirts cleaned and ironed for $30, why would you ever do it yourself ?

Rhodes and Beckett all the way, Weg. I usually pick them up for $80 or so on special. Great fit and easiest shirts I've ever owned to iron.

They're in CBD Myer and 1st floor DJ's building.

My hubby gets issued "hard yakka" style luminous work shirts - I swear they are designed by a man who has never ironed in his life, with stupid full back sewn in pleats that are impossible.

Back