Mentors:turning Ratbag kids into property entrepreneurs!

Dear visionaries!
I am the founder of the Chutzpah Factory College of Entrepreneurship; a tax-deductible charity that teaches accredited entrepreneurship training to youth at-risk. Chutzpah’ is Yiddish for cheekiness, guts, drive and audacity i.e. entrepreneur!

I am in the process of setting up colleges across australia and I am developing a database of mentors and volunteers who would be interested in sharing their insights and knowledge on property, investment, entrepreneurship and business with our Chutzpaniks (Students!). This could take the form of mentoring, one-off workshops, on-call advice, on-line chats, work-experience, traineeships etc.

The colleges are all start-ups. On a shoe-string budget last year, I have had stunning successes of young at-risk graduates starting and running new businesses. "At-risk" means young people who are excluded from mainstream education and systems due to family abuse, offending, personality typology or simply too creative for our conformist systems!

The Colleges are spin-offs from my PhD entrepreneurship research into Chutzpah in successful entrepreneurs and maverick youth. There is one running in Victoria and three more launching this year, including the world's first indigenous college in WA Goldfields.

Of course you would need to undergo relevant child-safety clearances in your state before you could work with the kids.

Come on you maverick geniuses - connect your heart with your heads and drop me a line! It will be one of the most rewarding things you have done this year!

Warm wishes!
Louise

Hi Louise
The best way us forumites can help you with your project is by you encouraging your students to join the forum and participate actively.
IMHO.Our lives are shaped by the questions we ask and the actions we take.
Happy to help in that capacity.
Kind regards
Simon

Its all about relationships.......

Thanks Simon - yes that is the ultimate goal. The reality is that some of these kids cant read properly and have never used the net. Whilst the forum will provide a fantastic and creativity opportunity for them to develop these skills, the kids need to get "turned-on" to it first. Property purchase/development is one "hook" for these kids. The idea for them to own their own house(s) is incredible as some don't even live in one when they first come in! In my many years of experience in doing this, it is human contact, the demonstrated interest of "successful adults" and their success stories that are the best way to build the self-efficacy (belief-systems) in these kids, that will let them know that they too can achieve it. Hence, my call for any expertise out there in the field to heed this call and come forth! (If you come fifth you may just win a tea-pot)...

I would like to know more and consider offering some time. Not that I am an expert but am probably one step ahead of these kids which is all a decent teacher needs to be!

Anything happening up Newcastle way?

Chutzpah Highlands

Fantastic Simon - many thanks! Nothing in Newcastle yet but all it takes is a champion to kick one off. There is a Chutzpah Factory College developing in Bowral (southern highlands) however. If you send me a PM we can talk more about this.

tx
L

louise said:
Fantastic Simon - many thanks! Nothing in Newcastle yet but all it takes is a champion to kick one off. There is a Chutzpah Factory College developing in Bowral (southern highlands) however. If you send me a PM we can talk more about this.

tx
L

If a champion is what you need then I am prob not your man.

I tend to get bored and wander off easily...

Champions, visionaries & serial entrepreneurs!

No! You only need to be a champion to launch a new Chutzpah college.
You can be a visionary to assist at one.
and you, my friend, with your short-attention span must be a serial entrepreneur and therefore HAVE PLENTY TO OFFER!

Hi Louise

I would be keen to know more. It sounds like a brilliant idea and I would love to be able to help in whatever small way that I can....

Dale

Hi Dale
Many thanks!!!!!!!!!! in fact, you can look at (our very temporary, student-developed; we are a start-up!!) website at www.exi.edu.au to get more information about the courses the Chutzpah Factory teaches - I am the founder of this entrepreneurship-course venture as well. There is info on the Chutzpah Factory Colleges under the drop-down menu of Current Work and all sorts of other interesting stuff up there.

Send me a PM with your locations, skills, interests etc and for more specific info on how you can participate.

Looking forward to working with you!

Louise

Hi Louise
I have just visited your web site and had a quick read of the content.
Admiral effort on your part.
The frustration that I have with this whole life education thing is the lack of such disciplines ,as your course appears to promote, in the mainstream education system.
We offered our services as property investors to our local highschool when a letter was sent home asking for people with business skills backgrounds to come and talk to students in that regard. The school passed us up for a franchise manager of a local take away food outlet. It is nearly as though it is alright to experiment with the down and outs in our society but God forbid upsetting the "Lemming like" approach of the more popular education systems.
regards
Simon

simonjulie said:
We offered our services as property investors to our local highschool when a letter was sent home asking for people with business skills backgrounds to come and talk to students in that regard. The school passed us up for a franchise manager of a local take away food outlet. regards
Simon

I went in to talk about investing to my old high school - it was fascinating - they put me in as the main speaker for the senior school assembly - 300-400 students. Really enjoyed myself - thought I was going to get ejected with some of the things I was saying, but the teachers managed to stay civilised.

I've also been in during career's nights at the school - talking about a career in IT - as in telling the kids "Don't do it! Too many unhappy people! Become an accountant or a doctor! Or a mechanic! " I am not sure if the parents appreciate it (nor am I sure if I will get invited back).

I was getting onto a plane to go overseas last year, and one of the airline staff stopped me as I went to get on board - "Oh, you're from xxxx high aren't you? You were giving that speech about the career in IT...." :eek:

Turned out to be one of the parents, and she thought what I had to say was "interesting".... :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

when my 2yr old starts primary school i'm planning (if all goes right) to weddle my way into regular times for the older kids - ie, fund a dozen cashflow for kids or similar - and game/talks from local business owners. hence try to get their interest intrigued before they even reach high school.

Back