Merging living area with balcony?

Hypothetically, in an apartment like this:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-st+kilda-114182575

Would it be possible to remove the window partition between the lounge and balcony, then rebuild at the end of the balcony. A large glass divide with bi-folding windows on the top half?

Would this be a violation of building codes? Or against the rules of the body corp etc...?
I know nothing about these matters, but was just curious as to how you would proceed with any sort of work in an apartment complex/shared building.

Thanks everyone.

Going by s.treet view,looks like 3 have been done that way.

Anyhow,you'd have to get permission from bodycorp and hope owners don't object,that is if owners are active at the body corp meetings.
Look at the body corp minutes and see what's been happening.

Someone else will be along with better advice.
Cheers Spades.

I don't know the definitive answer, but I suspect the body corp would object and the council would likely have some problems with it as well.

I'd say the 3 units that Spades refers to on Street View were actually designed that way, rather than post construction modifications.

What a stupid design though...The other 6 should be like those 3 and being next to a pub.
#17 listed,shows the front of the building and the bottom one next to a pub has plywood without the glass.That unit must get some freebies thrown there way lol.

We do similar living extension to wintergarden area for OTP purchasers before settlement. Technically there are two major issues relate to fire rated wall & acoustic and we need engineering report & approval. However, it is extremely hard to change the balcony to glazing windows because the external change may need to pass council test. Not mention heaps of services pipes in ceiling cavity, downpipe in Balcony to look after. It is still doable but chance is very thin.

Back