Metallurgy lab needed.

We import flyscreen material from China.
I have the opportunity to bring in some Stainless Steel mesh for our industry
and I was after a company to test the material to make sure that the
wire is what they say it is.

I need verification that the qualities are
•**** 316 Stainless Steel
•**** Ultra High Tensile wire (900 MPa)
•**** 11 x 11 ppi weave
•**** Wire Diameter 0.8mm

Can any of you engineering types point me in the direction of a lab that could test and certify some material. My son told me Bureau Veritas, but they have not responded to my email.

- stick a sample on the coast somewhere - rocky headland for example - just below high tide mark. If it doesn't corrode it'll be 316 or better. 304 will still show fair amount of surface corrosion in sea water. Elemental analysis shouldn't cost much if really required - see if a local foundry will do it.
- not easy to do yourself. should be several labs around though. Not sure that 900MPa and 316SS belong in the same sentence?
•**** 11 x 11 ppi weave
- get a ruler and count it! (10 second job)
- take a close/macro photo against a steel rule, and measure the wire diameter by pixel distance comparisons (60 second job). Or use a set of verniers (cheap from any hardware)

- stick a sample on the coast somewhere - rocky headland for example - just below high tide mark. If it doesn't corrode it'll be 316 or better. 304 will still show fair amount of surface corrosion in sea water. Elemental analysis shouldn't cost much if really required - see if a local foundry will do it.
- not easy to do yourself. should be several labs around though. Not sure that 900MPa and 316SS belong in the same sentence?
•**** 11 x 11 ppi weave
- get a ruler and count it! (10 second job)
- take a close/macro photo against a steel rule, and measure the wire diameter by pixel distance comparisons (60 second job). Or use a set of verniers (cheap from any hardware)

thanks for that..Do you have a lab that can give a verification certificate of that. I already know how to do "trust me ..it is 316 high tensile"

Maybe you could PM Pinkboy, he could know someone as he does metal coatings

CSIRO testing? Bureau Veritas or a Cardno Group subsidury also.

As a side note, stainless steel, especially 316 and grades above really limit the coatings that 'adhere' to their surface. These steels are so inert, most coatings dont 'stick' to the surface, and rely on encapsulation coatings (eg powdercoating) to get some type of protective coating on them.

Im not much of a steel expert unfortunately.....Im just the monkey who coats it!

pinkboy

CSIRO testing? Bureau Veritas or a Cardno Group subsidury also.

As a side note, stainless steel, especially 316 and grades above really limit the coatings that 'adhere' to their surface. These steels are so inert, most coatings dont 'stick' to the surface, and rely on encapsulation coatings (eg powdercoating) to get some type of protective coating on them.

Im not much of a steel expert unfortunately.....Im just the monkey who coats it!

pinkboy

Thanks Pinkboy... yes the mesh is powdercoated :)
my mech/engineer son suggested bureau Veritas...if only these labs would answer emails I might get somewhere. I have emails out to half a dozen from the yellow pages/google (thanks Lizzie :) ) but no-one seems to need to answer :(

Thanks Pinkboy... yes the mesh is powdercoated :)
my mech/engineer son suggested bureau Veritas...if only these labs would answer emails I might get somewhere. I have emails out to half a dozen from the yellow pages/google (thanks Lizzie :) ) but no-one seems to need to answer :(

I would call direct. Emailing this type of request would probably be put in the 'too hard basket'. You will probably have to jump through several hoops to get some testing done at a fair price I would imagine.

pinkboy

Hooray... Lab found.

http://www.scieng.com.au/.

Next step is to get some samples of mesh with my next container and get the testing done. Testing will take just two weeks and will cost ~$1000.

I have my Chinese supplier agree to pay (in credit of flyscreen mesh) for the testing if it is NOT what they say it is. I do actually trust them, but we do need it verified to be able to make finished product meet Aust Standards.

Fun times :)

Back