Mez & GR Finance

Hi,

I am looking at doing a unit/apartment development to abt $5M at Hervey Bay Qld.

I would love to talk about the pros and cons of financing developments under this system with experts who have worked in this system.

Love to Here From The Wizards either through this forum for the benefits of all or directly.

Thanks in Advance

Dave Pemberton
email: [email protected]
:) ;) :p :confused:

Well Dave,

There is a lot to cover... Not sure where to start.

What is your experience in putting together something like this? That's probably the first question the banks are going to ask you. How much cash do you have to put in yourself? Have you secured the site?

Without going in to too much detail there are many variations available in finance. Gross realisation finance can work wonderfully well if your deal is a corker.

Lets say your purchase price is $1m
Your construction is $3m
and your estimated GR is $6m

In its simplest form, a private funder will give you 75% of $6m which is $4.5m. Ok, so this is looking good. But, then it get's complicated. They will cap what they call the land bank (the loan against the land itself) at 75% of valuation at purchase. So in this case that would be $750,000 so the key is to be able to add value to the land prior to settlement. This could be done through any kinds of means like getting a DA through or having an offer on it for greater than you paid.

The next thing is they cap your interest in. That means instead of borrowing $4.5m you'll actually be boworrowing (say 3.8) and having $700 available for interest purposes.

They will also most likely proceed with the finance when there is a DA in place for the land.

Another thing to note is that you pay through the nose for this money. Application fees are HUGE, like up to 5%, interest rates are between 10% and 20% however the benefit is that you don't need financials, nor pre-sales. We've found whenever using something like this that the growth through the construction period can add up to 40% to your final return.

There are all kinds of versions of this, right down to the conservative bunch of mainsream banks.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Dave.

Dave Thanks for the comments.

Can you arrange GR & Mez finance on the same development at the same time....?

How is this done....?

I am particularly interested in the Mez finance issue...

Dave P

Well yeah, of course you can. If GR finance won't fund your entire development, and you don't have the cash yourself, then mezzanine is really the only other option.

The only downside to this is GR finance up to 75% is a 2nd mortgage for the last 8.4% (66.6% on the 1st) so you can't offer your investors a 2nd mortgage. The best security you can give them is a caveat or a personal gurantee. Which some would argue is the least you could do.

The best way to structure it is in a trust, where a company is trustee. Your lawyer should be able to draw one up for you. If you need someone I can point you in the right direction. I've often done it with a number of different types of units, where the capital units are for investors, who get paid a return, and there are other classes of units for people like you who put together the deal. It gives you the flexibility in your distribution of profits.

Cheers,

Dave.

Back