Mince meat

Meat for Spagetti Bolognase

• $15.99/kg "Heart Smart"

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • $11.99/kg variety, labelled "perfect for bolognase"

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Everyday $6.99/kg mince meat, (1.5kg minimum purchase)

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Pet quality meat or "kangaroo road kill" or offal

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Buy meat only if its on special

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • "Grind your own meat"

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • No meat at all

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
Hi,
I was in the supermarket today with my partner. Since I started reading Mr Money Moustache about 2 weeks ago my views on money saving have changed slightly. Now i'm wondering, at Woolworths they sell minced meat at 3 different prices. Just wonder what Somersofters would choose for minced meat (say if you are making a spaghetti bolognase for dinner) and why.

Last edited:
Spaghetti bog I use a mixture of pork mince and the middle range mince.

If you are on a low cal diet then go for the top one as it has less fat but otherwise the middle range is fine and I think has more flavour due to the fat in it.

See, my partner goes for the $15.99 version, i'd go the $6.99 version... it doesnt look that different... And if it does have more fat, thats ok, i'm not overweight (body age of 21, actual age getting closer to 40! :)) and i agree, more fat = more flavour.

Don't buy the garbage they sell in the supermarket, buy your meat from the butcher instead. Most likely to be cheaper, too.

Don't buy lean meat. Fat in moderation is good for you and as Myf said, it tastes great. Especially pork fat. Duck fat is by far the best tasting fat, but that'd be a damn expensive spag bol!

Don't buy the garbage they sell in the supermarket, buy your meat from the butcher instead. Most likely to be cheaper, too.

Don't buy lean meat. Fat in moderation is good for you and as Myf said, it tastes great. Especially pork fat. Duck fat is by far the best tasting fat, but that'd be a damn expensive spag bol!

What makes you think they have different suppliers?

Mr Fabulous... will the butcher do better than $6.99?
and i'd like to clarify something... i'm the "She" in this relationship. HE likes to buy the expensive stuff.

Head to the meat wholesalers if you want to save money - I use Tasman Meats here in Melbourne for my mince. Their premium is $6.99 a kilo and regular is $3.99 a kilo :)

I'm afraid I'm the heart smart variety - though I might try going to the butcher next time.
Actually, I don't eat mince much at all - though probably should. Don't even eat meat all that much.
I put my health first - not to say that the higher price makes it any healthier. But I think in terms of: If I eat well at home, I don't need to get food from takeaway or eat junk. Doesn't always work out that way but usually does.
So that even if I spend $100 more in the supermarket, I'm still saving money and looking after myself.
It all comes down to time though and am starting to think I should be working less and cooking more.
There are lots of ways to use mince though I don't eat pasta or spaghetti either these days.

Depends on what we're cooking - rissoles need pork with a bit of fat, shepherds pie lamb, spag Bol mid beef with pork. Used to just get heart smart, then experimented a bit to find what worked best.

Also loving the cheaper cuts in the slow cooker - base of red wine, crushed tomatoes, onion, garlic, stock plus meat and herbs - serve with cauliflower mash - yum and house smells great (current favourite is beef cheeks)

Been there done that - cook a batch of cheap mince and expensive mince, the difference is the fat content, at least 30% of it. We used to make the dog's food and drain off ladles of fat (& it stinks), very little comes off the better mince.

I prefer a pork & veal mix from the butcher - definitely not in your $6.99 category. 1kg will go into 3-4 family meals ie 3 serves of spag bol & rissoles, so it still ends up at $1.25 per person/serve.

I assume you're joking right?

A good Butcher will undoubtedly have better suppliers than woolies and you can get meat freshly minced if that's what you want

I'd say woollies has the better suppliers.
Who do you think has the buying power to get the pick of the supply.
Everyone else gets what is left after the big two are done.

Bzzzt incorrect

Double that !

Private butchers on average have the best meat.
Not all but most do anyway.

I've seen many a batch go through the abbotoirs for the big chain stores and it's def not the best meat.
In fact that Scottish take away restaurant chains meat is mostly cancer eyed cows and old bulls.

FWIW, we get a whole body when buying beef and have it butchered in roasts, steaks from the eye/scotch fillet, T-bone and some rump. The rest gets split between sausages and bulk mince. Some rump goes to stir fry as well.

$6.90/kg across the whole beast it makes for cheap eating.
Oh, and grass fed over grain any day.;)

Back