Minimum acceptable size for a garage?

I know they can come in many sizes, but I heard a story recently on a person who settled on a property to only find out later it's a touch too small for an average car!

I'd have to say around 6x3m... ish?

Does anyone have any figures for the minimum legal size of a Garage in WA?

I heard that 5.4m x 5.4m is the legal minimum for a double garage. Is this true?
What is the minimum for a single garage?

I am having trouble squeezing the maximum living space on a 225m2 R40 block (101 m2 living) because the designer has drawn a 3.97 x5.87 (single??) garage.

This should all be included in the building code in your State. From my understanding a double garage has to be at least 5.5m wide and 6m deep but it may differ.

I heard that 5.4m x 5.4m is the legal minimum for a double garage. Is this true?

I am having trouble squeezing the maximum living space on a 225m2 R40 block (101 m2 living) because the designer has drawn a 3.97 x5.87 (single??) garage.

Correct 5.4x5.4 is the minimum internal dimension for a double according to AS2890.1. For a single it's 5.4x3.0 iirc

Does it include the store room perhaps? That is an odd size.

You should be able to fit a double on 225m2. You have 130.5m2 coverage at 58% (take the 3% discretion and run with it). 130 - 30 for a double garage still leaves you 100 of living.

Hope I am diverting too much. Consideration should also be given to the height of the garage. My preference is 3 courses above the entry door in the garage.

My two cents. :)

Back