Mirror in the bathroom

Hi!

Bit of a noob question here - we had the bathroom in our IP renovated and being a bit short of space and budget for a cabinet the builders just attached a mirror to the tiles with some form of adhesive. About a year later the tenants tell me the mirror has fallen off the wall and broken.

I'd like to replace the mirror or preferably fit a small cabinet above the washbasin but I'm not sure how to attach this to the tiles. I'm pretty sure the tiles have been attached to a gyprock sheet.

I've never drilled into tiles and I don't know what to use to anchor a screw through the tiles and gyprock. Should I keep it simple and just replace the mirror with a better form of adhesive or is it is easy enough to drill through the tiles?

Hi!

Bit of a noob question here - we had the bathroom in our IP renovated and being a bit short of space and budget for a cabinet the builders just attached a mirror to the tiles with some form of adhesive. About a year later the tenants tell me the mirror has fallen off the wall and broken.

I'd like to replace the mirror or preferably fit a small cabinet above the washbasin but I'm not sure how to attach this to the tiles. I'm pretty sure the tiles have been attached to a gyprock sheet.

I've never drilled into tiles and I don't know what to use to anchor a screw through the tiles and gyprock. Should I keep it simple and just replace the mirror with a better form of adhesive or is it is easy enough to drill through the tiles?

mirror onto tiles are held with strips of double sided tape to hold mirror into place but also have dobs of non acetic silicone on the back ,the silicone is what holds the mirror on

I just use silicone for a mirror. For a full cabinet I don't know if just silicon would be good enough. Maybe some no more nails as well or drill a hole into the tiles and then screw as well as using silicone. If unsure just do all of the above :) I'm sure it won't go anywhere.

You will definitely need mechanical fastners for a cabinet.
Probably those toggle type fastners would be best for this situation, the ones that fit through a small hole and then expand and spread out to cover a larger area.

You will definitely need mechanical fastners for a cabinet.
Probably those toggle type fastners would be best for this situation, the ones that fit through a small hole and then expand and spread out to cover a larger area.

AITH is on the right track here. I would drill 4 holes using a 'tile' drill bit (available anywhere like Bunnings/Masters/hardware) and drill slowwwwwwwly, and buy 4x gyprock fasteners (10kg+ ones if attaching a cabinet).

pinkboy

Thanks for the tips! I'll have another look at the available space and if a cabinet is viable we'll do that, otherwise we'll just go with a mirror.

I'll have a bit of a browse on youtube, surely there'll be a video on there about drilling into tiles.

Could likely be cement sheeting behind those tiles instead of gyprock, if so make sure you get the plugs which are made for cement sheeting

Oh and could be Asbestos sheet depending on the age of your place, so put a mask on to be safe...

If you decide to stick a new mirror directly onto the tiles- use an adhesive called 'sikaflex'- big blobs on the back, will instantly stick and will not be falling off ever again

Back