'Modifications' to rented property

Thank you all for the break lease info. I did this yesterday and they didnt even turn a hair (I expected all sorts of recriminations) but...
when we shifted in, we couldnt fit our normal size fridge into the space for a fridge and it would have had to sit out in the middle of the kitchen for a year. My partner has modified the space so that our fridge fits. Note: this is a normal size fridge, the measurements are the same as 80% on the market except for those big ones. It would be a simple matter for us to put the big headboard back in that he took out and repaint, but given that the next tenant will face the same problem, do we ask the re to ask the owner what they want done, or just fix it and consider it not our problem.
The same with the dishwasher (well, lack of it) we bought one, and hubby drilled some holes in the cupboard and set up an access for the outlet into the plumbing under the sink. We think we have done the owner a favour, what is the consensus out there??? We dont want to be charged 'professional' fees to fix these things after we leave as partner can fix them in a flash

My partner has modified the space so that our fridge fits. do we ask the re to ask the owner what they want done, or just fix it and consider it not our problem.
and hubby drilled some holes in the cupboard and set up an access for the outlet into the plumbing under the sink. We think we have done the owner a favour, what is the consensus out there??? We dont want to be charged 'professional' fees to fix these things after we leave as partner can fix them in a flash
Hi celica.

If it were me, I would've asked for permission BEFORE making any 'modifications'. As a landlord, I would expect to be asked re any work prior to the event. In saying that, the fridge situation doesn't sound like a biggie, but drilling holes in the cupboard (wall, I assume) may not be looked upon favourably.

Do you intend on leaving the dishwasher there when you vacate?

Anyway, if it were me, I'd let the PM know and go from there.

Regards
Marty

you really should of asked permission at the start - then there is no issues. But i think the sooner you bring it up with the PM the more likey it is that you will get the opportunity to fix it yourself.

I'm hardly likely to leave a dishwasher for the landlord. There's no use moralising at me either, the bigger space has been made, my question is, should we (in my opinion,) give the landlord the opportunity of having the bigger space, or just look after ourselves and fix it before they see it, and let the landlord have the problem of the next tenants complaining they cant get their fridge in and him having to pay for it to be made bigger. i.e. I am thinking of doing him a favour, but don't want it backfiring on me.

I'm hardly likely to leave a dishwasher for the landlord. There's no use moralising at me either, the bigger space has been made, my question is, should we (in my opinion,) give the landlord the opportunity of having the bigger space, or just look after ourselves and fix it before they see it, and let the landlord have the problem of the next tenants complaining they cant get their fridge in and him having to pay for it to be made bigger. i.e. I am thinking of doing him a favour, but don't want it backfiring on me.

I would just advise them what changes you have made and why and ask if they would like them rectified at end of lease or left as is? Just a matter of fact non emotive letter. Legally, according to your lease, I would presume that you were obliged to ask for permission prior to making these changes so the comments above are not moralistic but just pointing out the legality.

Approach the PM and ask if they want the modifications rectified.

We had a free-standing combustion fireplace in our IP on the Sunshine Coast. Tenant from NZ neatly removed it and stored it in the shed. PM said he would re-fit it when he left if we wanted.

The room looked much better without it so we asked that it remain in the shed. It was still there last time I looked.

So long as you restore the property to its original condition if requested, I can't see a problem.
Marg

Approach the PM and ask if they want the modifications rectified.

Holes drilled into a cupboard (I am assuming for the DIshwasher hoses) could be a bit difficult to put back..... what might be seen as an improvement by one, may not been seen in the same light by another.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Have decided to put it back the way it was. No gain for owner, no stress for us. Will leave the fridge in place till after photos taken though, as fridge stuck out in middle of kitchen wouldnt help re renting

Back