Money in the Offset account???

Hi all,

If I have more money in my offset account than I owe on the loan, what happens with the interest offset rate?

Does the bank pay the interest earned into the loan or nothing really happens?

Cheers:)
George.

TR 93/6

For it to be an effective 100% offset account for tax purposes, it should not pay you any interest when in combined credit !!!

Read your loan contract.

Cheers,

Rob

You'll have to read the terms and conditions of the offset account. In most cases the offset account is a simple savings account. I suspect in most cases you get nothing.

Link it to a high interest savings account like ING. Transfer any surplus there to earn good interest.

Last edited:
Yeah I had to find out for one of mine and it didn't earn any interest. Just set up a high interest savings account (eg Bankwest) for any surplus. Or you could put it in my offset as I have a bit of room left? :D

As has been said in the above posts, the general clause you'll find with an offset account is that it doesn't "earn" any interest, so there is no benefit having any surplus funds in that account, over and above the attached loan balance.

The general rule of thumb is that you don't exceed your loan balance in the offset account because it's just not efficient use of funds. As has been suggested, consider linking an "internet savings" type account to it, such as the ING Savings Maximiser or BankWest TeleNet Saver accounts.

At the moment I think the TeleNet Saver is the better option in terms of higher interest rates (8.5%) with the same features (no fees or charges, no minimum balance, etc), but they both go through promotional periods where they offer an additional interest rate for new customers or anything above your account balance at a certain date. Have a look at www.ingdirect.com.au and www.bankwest.com.au/Personal/Savings_and_Investment/TeleNet_Saver/ for details.

There are others, but those are the two that have been mentioned (and the two that I use).

Cheers
BR

Back