More Riches from Real Estate

Hi All,
This post probably belongs in the Information Resourses forum but will leave it for a moderator to move if they see fit.
For those of you who like to keep a library of property related books I have a copy of Fred Johnson's second book More Riches from Real Estate first published by Rydges in 1972 available.It is a hard cover in good condition apart from some creasing on the introductory pages and a previous owners name in biro.Like Freds first book How to Get Real Estate Rich this is a classic with the underlying principles still relevant today.I am asking $20 plus postage or would exchange for some early copies of Australian Property Investor Magazine.You can PM me or email [email protected]
Thanks for your interest
Hound Dog :)

All Fred Johnson's boooks are classics and I have them in my library.

I don't know why you are selling it by I commend it to others as a bargain

Positive interest from the big boys Yardney, Geoff and Quiggy.....

must be something to this dude....hmmm, time for some research...

Google, here I come...

grubar30 said:
Positive interest from the big boys Yardney, Geoff and Quiggy.....

must be something to this dude....hmmm, time for some research...

Google, here I come...

Fred Johnson wrote some great hard cover books that I read in the 70's and 80's . It was the only Australian books on property at the time. As I said, I have still kept them in my library.

His son still runs the Quartile Property Group in Sydney www.quartile.com.au

Hi All,
The books gone but I am humbled by the interest of "the big boys" of the forum. I have had Freds first book since my last years at high school in the early 70's and have had the knowledge contained therein but it has taken over 30 years and some inspiration from some members of this forum (Brenda & Les in particular) to actually apply it. I have all of Freds books but if I ever
come across them at a 2nd hand book store or market I tend to buy them and as in this case double up.
Regards
Hound Dog :)

There's a Fred Johnson book (written with his son and published by Quartile) sitting in Sunshine Public Library (sighted 4pm today).

IIRC there's another (older) one at Monash Uni library at Caulfield.

Rgds, Peter

and for those who don't like to share, here's another used copy for sale......

http://dialabook.com.au/local/7/47

wonder if forumites will be talking about Jan Somers as we are Fred Johnson, in 30 years. suppose the forum will be all streaming audio visual of renos in real time in 2035.....or modular houses being reassembled by one man in an afternoon with a spanner. or overnight mail order houses....now there's a scarey thought....

Fred Johnson's 1998 publication

This thread made me pick out Fred's 1998 reprint of a book titled "The wealth power of property" that he co wrote with his son. (Originally published in 1997). It was the first book I ever read on property as investment and opened the door to my understanding of property's leverage power.

I just re read the first few pages and it was just so refreshing to read from a seasoned investor who has lived through numerous property investment cycles since 1969. In the early chapters he wrote about what a good time it would be to start investing in property in Sydney in 1997 (mentioning the upward pressure on rents, lack of building activity in Sydney for quite some time and stagnant prices for the last several years). He basically, very intelligently, predicted strong capital growth using current market factors and decades of experience. On the same page (or very close to it), he talked about the next one probably between 2005-2008. And this was back in 1997. Only time will tell if he is close or right ofcourse.

A great read for those just started, and certainly "re assuring" for those (like me) experiencing their first market "downturn".

Cheers,

Hound Dog said:
Geoff I suppose that was no bun intended. :D
Unlike the bun unintended in my Subway last week.

A man ordered a bacon and egg roll; the female assistant who made it for him asked him if he wanted his bun warmed.

Oscar said:
This thread made me pick out Fred's 1998 reprint of a book titled "The wealth power of property" that he co wrote with his son. (Originally published in 1997).

I made a return trip to the library this afternoon to read it.

He basically, very intelligently, predicted strong capital growth using current market factors and decades of experience. On the same page (or very close to it), he talked about the next one probably between 2005-2008. And this was back in 1997. Only time will tell if he is close or right ofcourse.

To be fair, I wouldn't judge him on that projection, but rather whether there is again capital growth immediately following the 'once in a decade' type of economic conditions that he says are the best for buying. These included (from memory) falling vacancy and rising rents and a limited supply for the demand present and draws parallels between 1997 and 1986.

A couple of things was that Johnson seems to regard any form of renovating (especially for resale) as speculative and not true investing. Compared with Somers he places a greater faith on being able to optimise returns through timing the market (although Somers does explicitly mention the good buying conditions in 1986 and implicity in 2000 by referring to a long-term affordability comparison which places this year as being about the same or better than long-term averages).

I didn't see much in this book about location (eg distance from CBD). It would be interesting if the 1969 Johnson books mentions it, given that the inner suburbs were less fashionable then.

Rgds, Peter

Back