More US/Australia differences

The following commentary was emailed to me by an ex poster from here. I asked for permission to paste it here but thought it was just too fantastic not to. Please no PM's asking me who this was from, you'll either know or not.

STAMP DUTY

Australia:

Varies by state, but as a rough rule you’re talking at least 3% of the price of the property

US:

Varies by county but seems to be very low, as supported by the fact that Americans seem to be able to ‘flip’ properties more easily than we can. This website (no idea how old it is, though) suggests that most counties in California have a ‘transfer duty’ of 0.1%. That’s $100 per every $100k of property:

http://www.californiacityfinance.com/PropTransfTaxRates.pdf

CGT ON PPOR

Australia:

Generally exempt with no limits on amount.

US:

250,000 exemption for singles, 500,000 for couples (in the US you can file tax returns as a couple and different rules apply)

PPOR INTEREST DEDUCTION:

Australia:

Generally none because deductibility is based on what the loan is used for. So interest on a loan taken out to buy your own home is not deductible.

US:

Interest IS deductible on loans against your PPOR and in some cases second (holiday) homes as well. There is no purpose test: i.e. an American can refinance their PPOR, pay off their credit cards or buy a car or go on a holiday, and because the loan is secured against their PPOR, all the interest is deductible.

PROPERTY TAXES:

Australia:

Council rates are generally low. e.g. a 500k house in Sydney often only has rates of $1,200 ~ $1,500, or about 0.4 – 0.5%. It seems that rates don’t increase much as prices increase, so a very expensive property may still have similar rates, making the % even lower.

US:

Much more variation. Each state levies property taxes (e.g. California’s is 1.25% on the MARKET value of the property, based on some 2007 info I found). In addition, though, there are special levies depending on the local authority to pay interest on debt, etc. One thing to note is that in the US the local authorities (county, city, town, etc) are responsible for, amongst other things, schools, police, hospitals, etc. In Australia, these are mostly state responsibilities. Hence why the CSI Miami people identify themselves ‘Dade County police’ as opposed to ‘Florida police’ the way Sydney police officers would identify themselves as ‘NSW police’.

NEGATIVE GEARING:

Australia:

As we all know and love, losses from property can be deducted against ordinary income, which for most people would be salary income.

US:

I’ve never seen this discussed in US property books, and some scraps I’ve found suggests that property losses CANNOT be deducted against salary income. Which makes sense why US books always talk about making a pre-tax gain from property, and why buying IPs doesn’t seem to be as popular as in Australia. When you already get deductions from your PPOR interest, who needs an IP for tax deductions?

MORTGAGES:

Australia:

Most loans are variable, the rate being priced off the RBA target rate.

US:

The standard loan is 30 year fixed, the rate being priced off the 30 year government bond rate. Variable loans, until recent years, were considered risky.

LOAN TYPES:

Australia:

Full recourse. If you don’t pay, they come after the rest of your assets.

US:

Not ALL states have non-recourse mortgages. However, those that do include the three currently worst-hit states of California, Florida (where Miami is) and Nevada (Las Vegas). Mortgage default isn’t without consequences, mainly that your credit goes down the crapper and if you ever want to borrow money in the future, you either won’t get it or the rate will be higher. The US uses credit scores religiously.

What does it all mean?

The list just shows SOME of the differences between property rules in the US and Australia, and they’re significant. You can see just how significant they are by thinking how property prices in Australia would be affected if, for example, you raise council rates to 3% of the market value, disallow negative gearing, cut stamp duty, limit PPOR CGT exemptions, or allow PPOR interest deductions.

How do we analyse how much different prices should be between the US and Australia? I have absolutely no idea. Even ignoring the fact that the US and Australia are made up of hundred if not thousands of sub-markets, the list above doesn’t include demographics, incomes, geography, zoning, etc. There are simply too many moving parts in the property market to make even a general statement about where prices SHOULD be.

What the above DOES show is that there are significant differences between the Australian and US markets. So saying ‘the US market thought it couldn’t fall, but it did fall, so Australia will follow’ doesn’t make sense either, because there are many differences.

What about, say, Japan? 20 year recession with property prices to match. Why won’t Australia follow the same path? We can, but also look at the differences. The Japanese unemployment rate has been <5% for most of the last 20 years. How does that look like a recession, given that the US is currently around 8% unemployment with some states such as California going past 10%? Any western country that has a 4% unemployment rate would be booming, and how can property go down in a boom? On the other hand, how can an economy maintain relatively low unemployment in a recession?

Japan’s market is again one possibility, where the government protects jobs and companies at the expense of everything else, including property prices. Besides, I don’t know how crazy Japan got in their bubble, though the anecdotes suggest it was big, especially relative to the rest of the world at the time.

On the other hand, saying that the Australian market is undersupplied while the US was overbuilt and therefore the Australian market won’t fall, for example, doesn’t hold water either. The UK is generally undersupplied, but its prices are falling. Not as much as the US, but it’s still falling. About all you can say is that oversupply is contributing to the fall in the US. i.e. everything else being equal, Australia will do better (which includes the possibility that it doesn’t fall as much as the US) than the US. But everything else ISN’T equal. No one has a complex enough model to include all the variables.

e.g., everything else being equal, allowing PPOR interest deductions without a purpose test will increase prices, because effectively owners are paying lower rates, and they’ll be more likely to refinance and buy stuff, which will improve retail sales and hence the economy. Consumption being the greater part of the US economy. How much did the PPOR interest deduction distort prices in the US? Who knows.

The combination of high property taxes, loose lending and PPOR interest deductions partially explains why there are $1 houses in Detroit, as has been reported in the papers, and why we don’t have such houses here in any of our major population centres. The houses are often trashed and stripped, and they would almost certainly have high unpaid property taxes (would you pay council rates if you were being foreclosed upon?) Pulling numbers out of thin air, the property that sells for $1 might have been worth $200k at the peak, now has a market value of $100k IF it’s all fixed up, and have $10k in unpaid property taxes. All this in a neighbourhood filled with other foreclosed and probably stripped homes, probably in developments miles from nowhere. Also remember unpaid property taxes attract a high interest rate, so the more time passes the worse it gets.

In short, everything is possible. Not everything will happen. There are lots of possibilities, but nothing is inevitable, and certainly no one can predict the degree. While it's fairly safe to predict 'all booms bust and all busts end', when? To what extent? What are the details? It's unpredictable. How can it be, when world governments are still trying things that have never been tried before? How can someone’s view of the crisis NOT change when one day the government says we’ll guarantee all retail deposits and allow banks to piggyback off the government’s credit rating? Or when oil drops from $147 a barrel to $50? Or when the government essentially provides unlimited liquidity into the market? No one, of course, knows HOW these will affect the market exactly, but there WILL be an effect. For example, no depositor has lost money in US or UK banks.

In this crisis, the US and UK are well ahead of us. So I’d keep an eye on them to see what can, but won’t necessarily, happen to us. e.g. people are fearing banks asking for repayment of loans even if you’re up to date with payments. That’s a possibility, but is it likely? I have yet to see any news in the US about people being asked to pay back mortgages if their payments are current. Given that it hasn’t happened in the US, I find it unlikely that it’ll happen here. Sure it’s possible, but how many possible scenarios can you prepare for? How about someone nuking us? Or ravening barbarian hordes? Just because there is a chance that I get whacked by a truck tomorrow doesn’t mean I’m staying indoors (looking for planes falling out of the sky).

Last edited:
My take on the above:

Several of the above factors (high entrance costs, full recourse loans, low taxes, etc) encourage Australians to hold onto real estate. In the US ditching a property sounds like a smarter option when the market isn't going so well (which done in mass leads to a crash).

That probably explains why in Australia we have more of a 'boom -> stagnate -> boom -> stagnate' rather than a 'boom -> crash -> boom -> crash'.

Fascinating stuff!

Has anyone done a similar exercise for shares since these compete with property for (some) investors dollars.

Eg do Australian companies pay out more of their earnings as dividends compared to US companies?

Are shares valued more here for their yield, whereas in the US it's all been growth?

And, conversely is property there valued more for its yield than its growth.

Given our low yields on property I don't think it would be unfair to say that until recently investment property here is (mostly) bought for its future gain (rather than yield), so maybe different to the US?

Thanks, David.

The only thing I'd clarify is that negative gearing does exist in the USA, but it has special rules. They distinguish between "active" and "passive" profits and losses. You can deduct up to $25K of passive losses against active income, unless your active income exceeds a certain amount. Any losses that can't be claimed immediately can be carried forward in case you fit into the criteria for a deduction at a later time. Even losses in an LLC (analogous to a discretionary trust) can be claimed against your active income, within the rules.

Tax advantages are rarely mentioned with respect to US investing because yields are so much higher, and US property investors are more income-focused than growth-focused, and thus nearly all property investors are making an overall profit.

I agree with the writer on all he's said, so obviously we're both brilliant ;). I particularly agree that:

1) The US market is huge and actually consists of many markets, so it's nonsensical to speak of "the" USA property market, and

2) The US has some substantial differences in practise which make it extremely fraught to draw any inferences about what will happen in Australia based on what's happened or happening in the USA.

here's the difference

australia_regions.gif

usa-politcal-map.jpg

2 different tax systems, 2 different economies, 2 different countries across 2 different hemispheres, 2 different governments, 2 different real estate metalities, 2 different military strategies, 2 VERY DIFFERENT IMMEDIATE TRADING REGIONS, 2 different federal treasury investment and infrastructure spending strategies....

need i go on?

they're different.

2 different tax systems, 2 different economies, 2 different countries across 2 different hemispheres, 2 different governments, 2 different real estate metalities, 2 different military strategies, 2 VERY DIFFERENT IMMEDIATE TRADING REGIONS, 2 different federal treasury investment and infrastructure spending strategies....

need i go on?

they're different.

Crap...
you are not going anywhere with ths way of thinking.
Why don't you buy in the AUS share market when the US share market is sinking or the other way around?
Of course all is different for the housing market and not for anything else.
By the way you forgot to mention the animal nature of Americans that they don't need a roof on their head like the much more developed Australians...:rolleyes:

With all those differences it is amazing that the trend of house prices has been the same for so long!!! I mean it only broke down recently!

Anyone have a US/AU house price comparison for the last two downturns? Would be interesting to see how closely we both trended then.

Crap...
Why don't you buy in the AUS share market when the US share market is sinking or the other way around?
By the way you forgot to mention the animal nature of Americans that they don't need a roof on their head like the much more developed Australians...:rolleyes:

because comparing the sharemarket and residential property is....

how did you put it?

crap?

the sharemarket is controlled by a polygopoly of just a handful of hedge funds and investment groups. residential re is not.

Crap...

Is that what you did?

Are you saying that you believe there are no significant differences between the Australian and US property markets?

If you do agree there are significant differences, then why would you expect the same outcome. It is crazy to expect identical outcomes from different input variables.

The fact that Australian house prices are rising again (according to RPData, APM and Residex) after only a 3% fall is testament to the differences.

Is that what you did?

That is funny Shadow. :)
anyhow I think I said in the other forum that I don't trade in the ASX but only in the US and EU share exchanges (where you can also buy ausralian companys but don't own any at present)

Are you saying that you believe there are no significant differences between the Australian and US property markets?

If you do agree there are significant differences, then why would you expect the same outcome. It is crazy to expect identical outcomes from different input variables.

The fact that Australian house prices are rising again (according to RPData, APM and Residex) after only a 3% fall is testament to the differences
I am not saying there are no significant differences. The post of DavidMc is quite good point out the most differences.
The post of Blecard is pointless, after reading his post you would feel better with your EGO but no clue weather home prices in AUS would ouperform the US ones.
A professional property investor shouldn't get overwhelmed by his ego and, like other financial investors need to be able to cut the losses and move on.
Arguing about differences to justify you holding into the property market is crap and pointless. ;)

the sharemarket is controlled by a polygopoly of just a handful of hedge funds and investment groups. residential re is not.
I don't agree with that, anyhow, even if you are right the long term return wouldn't be effected.
The interesting point is that you have to measure home prices in the same currency and if the AU$ stay strong there is no way the Australian home prices will outperform other countries.
So, Shadow might like to hear that, playing with property in Australia is like long term gambling on forex. :eek:

Some thoughts on the Japan part of the post.

What about, say, Japan? 20 year recession with property prices to match. Why won’t Australia follow the same path? We can, but also look at the differences. The Japanese unemployment rate has been <5% for most of the last 20 years.

(Japan rate is a lot higher. The way they calculate who is unemployed and who isn't is measured quite differently to Aus & US. In Japan it is worked out by if you were employed in the last week but the US is last month.)

How does that look like a recession, given that the US is currently around 8% unemployment with some states such as California going past 10%? Any western country that has a 4% unemployment rate would be booming, and how can property go down in a boom?

( The difference is in the mindset or values of Japanese people. Material items like houses and cars devalue quickly because Japanese don't like old ones. They don't want to be seen in old cars or old houses, so these values drop down very quickly )

On the other hand, how can an economy maintain relatively low unemployment in a recession? ( There numbers are well and truly fudged to give the impression of low unemployment. )

Japan’s market is again one possibility, where the government protects jobs and companies at the expense of everything else, including property prices. Besides, I don’t know how crazy Japan got in their bubble, though the anecdotes suggest it was big, especially relative to the rest of the world at the time.

(Japan's ministry of finance played a big part in the bubble through their policies: no dividends yielded from stocks, no cashflow from realestate, companies don't have to repay debts and balance sheets that legally hid losses and liabilities. Basically Japan is one big Ponzi scheme.)

I found a more clear explanation of what I mean of the problem of property investor dealing with their ego:

The false ego mistakes come from a mixture of false pride and bravado and are the most dangerous mistakes to make. The trader, generally a beginner or intermediate -- call him Tader A -- gets an opinion in his head about market direction. His analysis may have even been sound, but his opinion keeps him from reading/seeing the signs that a change is occuring in the market he has targeted. He subconsciously see the changes, but false pride is the devil, and blocks the information from making it into his conscious decision making process. The change he needs to see may even be pointed out to him by a fellow trader --Trader B-- but Trader A's false ego blocks this because he knows "I'm smarter than Trader B...In fact I think its a good idea to fade Trader B".

Trader A is also likely someone who is accustomed to being listened to. He may have been upper management in a company, or even owned the company. "People better listen to me" is how he sees it. He is likely more accustomed to talking rather then listening.

Despite trader A's previous success' Mother Market will bring him down quickly. Any early success he has in the market will only make for bigger losses down the road as he gets caught in the spiral of trying to make up for lost money and still make money. He doesn't just want to get his money back, he wants that and then some. His time is valuable. He is going to make the market pay.

Well we all know how that works out, which is to say we won't be seeing Trader A around for long.
I know it is about trading but, think about, is it different for other investments like property?

Anyone have a US/AU house price comparison for the last two downturns? Would be interesting to see how closely we both trended then.

I decided to check this out for myself. It's not the best evidence in the world, however this graph seems to show that the US really took a big dive between 1990 - 1997, dropping around 6% each year on average and as much as 8% in 1994.

US house prices - Case-Shiller Home Price Index

300px-Cshpi-peak.svg.png

Comparison the percentage change of the Case-Shiller Home Price Index for the housing correction beginning in 2006 (red) and the correction (blue) beginning in 1989, comparing monthly CSI values to the peak value seen just prior to the first declining month all the way through the downturn and the full recovery of home prices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_housing_market_correction

I don't have the data but I know my parents home in the lower socio-economic area of Cranbourne (SE Melb) experienced practically zero growth during that period *but* it didn't crash anything like that either. We built for around $120k, improved the house over the next few years (added a garage, driveway, etc) and sold for around $135k or maybe 6 years later. Can't remember the specifics but they were about right.

House prices in Cranbourne, Victoria, 1990-1996

----1990---1991---1992---1993---1994---1995---1996
+1%
+0%____________________________________________
-1%

Source: David's head

So it appears we 'don't crash like they do' if the last crash (and my very limited research) is anything to go by.

I have no idea how that graph was measured, don't have the time to check it out. Would love to spend ages gathering more data on this but I'm 2nd week in a new job...

Last edited:
and that's all we have to go by - the last crash.

no other time in history was our economy as "trade-able" with the dollar being floated et al.

comparisons to the 30s, 60s etc are all useless because we weren't as free and open in the global market as we are today. everyone sees this as risky, over exposed etc. but it is what it is - so find a way to exploit it for your means.

we've had 4 (that's four) "end of days" moments since 1984.

the October 87 stock market profit take.
the early 90s recession(s).
the tech profit take.
and now the GFC-with-stimulus-and-a-deficit, please.

the world was going to end through all of these periods in time.

how many of you wish you bought half your street in 1984? what would it be worth today?

and at the end of the day, you're either a trader a or trader b - you can never know what you will end up in foresight, only hindsight, because you can't openly realise you're blocking out steven keen - sorry, i meant trader b.

Given our low yields on property I don't think it would be unfair to say that until recently investment property here is (mostly) bought for its future gain (rather than yield), so maybe different to the US?

Agree.

This was my take on the Septics when I was there too.

They are very dollar driven; but dollars NOW.

They are not into delayed gratification and saving/investing for the future. They are into consuming and acquiring the dollars to do it, so the IP's need to make cashflow.

There is sooo much visible wealth everywhere over there, and most want a part of it, so they think in this direction - moreso than we do, and their media bombards them as such.

But don't worry; we are moving in the same direction here unfortunately. Spend one hour watching the kids shows of a morning or arvo and you'll see what I mean.

I think the fact that they get a tax deduction on their PPoR is a significant difference as well.

It enables them to buy a bigger house, and swallow up more income. Less available for investing.

Last edited:
PPOR INTEREST DEDUCTION:

US:

Interest IS deductible on loans against your PPOR and in some cases second (holiday) homes as well. There is no purpose test: i.e. an American can refinance their PPOR, pay off their credit cards or buy a car or go on a holiday, and because the loan is secured against their PPOR, all the interest is deductible.

Are you freakin' kidding me?? I can't believe I haven't heard this before. This is one of the more insane ideas I've ever heard! Hey, i was thinking there was no way the Gov't could do anything to encourage us to stimulate ourselves thru' spending. But I think we've just found a way. :D

Are you freakin' kidding me?? I can't believe I haven't heard this before. This is one of the more insane ideas I've ever heard! Hey, i was thinking there was no way the Gov't could do anything to encourage us to stimulate ourselves thru' spending. But I think we've just found a way. :D
Amazing but true! Who would have thought it would encourage people to get too far into debt on their homes? :rolleyes:

Ah, yes.....buy themselves a trophy home so they can "look rich", fill it with high status artefacts and, then end up upside down like a logie doing head-stands. :p

And lest you think such stupidity only exists there, Enzo Raimondo (REIV) is wanting to extend the FHOG to buyers of investment properties (refer today's Herald Sun).

He conveniently neglects to mention that IP investors can still get FHOG (for their own home) and the tax deductions that IP investors get.

Back