Mortgage loan for IP and Granny Flat?

If I purchase a house with the intention of building a GF at the back (i move into it and rent out the front house) how can I get extra cash/loan on top of my Mortgage to build the GF?

Would I need an extra deposit on top of the 5% I'm intending to use on the initial Mortgage Loan?

Would I need to earn more?

Would lenders take into account the rental return from the front house?

1. Yes you will if the valuation of the end valuation of granny flat + house doesn't stack up above what you paid in construction costs. Also if you are going for 95% LVR loan you need to ensure that the lender will accept a granny flat attachment as security - particularly when the entire loan is an investment one (credit scoring issue).

2. Depends on if there is a servicing issue.

3. Yes if it is an investment.

seek very specific advice not just on the finance per se, but the val prospects of what you are looking to do

In below median price situations, a granny build will add approx 70 c in the dollar to the property...... in median its 1 to 1 and above median its usuallywell above 1.1.

If you are that dependent on a house +granny build,its a high risk situation in that you are letting a valuer dictate your next step.............

the other area, be mindful there are some lenders that wont do GF period above 80 %

ta
rolf

ok, so in a median situation 1for1 , for example, the Granny build will add value to the existing property value.

Im guessing this means if I buy the existing house for $300k and the Granny build, all up, costs me $100k, the new valuation of the whole property would be $600k?

not sure how to work this out?

Well im thinking I could possibly kill 2 birds with 1 stone here.

Im currently renting, and have been for the past 5 years, in the same flat.

I want to put my rent money to good use, as opposed to paying off someone else's mortgage.

My major goal is to buy an investment property this year.

New idea: why dont I buy an investment property and build an affordable GF at the back, in which I can live - so now i'll have 2 income streams paying off the mortgage?. good yield.

ok, so in a median situation 1for1 , for example, the Granny build will add value to the existing property value.

Im guessing this means if I buy the existing house for $300k and the Granny build, all up, costs me $100k, the new valuation of the whole property would be $600k?

Umm...no. A 1 for 1 situation means that if you spend $100k on a $300k house to put a granny flat, the val will come back at $400k.

Median meaning Median for the Capital City, not a regional centre or outlying burb.

For Perth that would be over 500 k.

Note also, that my comment relates to situation where there are sufficient numbers of comp sales for a valuer to hook onto........... Thats possible in some parts of Syd, where GF revolution has been going for a while.

ta

rolf

It's definitely interesting reading this thread.

I was toying with the idea of doing just that with this property.
I'll have just shy of $60k to use all up (stamp duty, deposit, legal, etc). What do you reckon, doable or not?
Plus the tree in the backyard might be a bit of a problem.

Hope I'm not stealing your thunder zinc. ;)

It's definitely interesting reading this thread.

I was toying with the idea of doing just that with this property.
I'll have just shy of $60k to use all up (stamp duty, deposit, legal, etc). What do you reckon, doable or not?

possible, but a lot of stars would need to line up

The CTC( Cost to complete) the GF will likely exceed the TOCV ( Target on Completion val), meaning youd need more equity than you normally would.

the upside is that the CC already has a bus load of GFs mostly unapproved ............so there should be some decent comps to analyse if its doable

ta

rolf

Hey Rolf,

What parts of Sydney?

Trying to get an ideal of whats possible, I may even purchase something over that way?

Are GF's restricted to Sydney or do the GF regulations/opportunities apply to the rest of NSW to?

Hey Rolf,

What parts of Sydney?

Trying to get an ideal of whats possible, I may even purchase something over that way?

Are GF's restricted to Sydney or do the GF regulations/opportunities apply to the rest of NSW to?

All of NSW I believe

Please line up with the other 9967 people that are in front of you for suitable stock

ta
rolf

crikes!

well i 'spose the fundamentals for your standard 3x1 house would still apply for a GF? - close to transport, shops, p.o, main road, schools ??

Or are there new criteria that'd make a GF more attractive/rentable?

Has someone written a 'How to invest in Grannys' book yet? lol

Rich Granny Poor Granny!!:D

darn it, no job as of today, fark sake...

Back