Most annoying Americanisms that Aussies simply must follow

The "mam" part?

I would certainly hate being called Mam.

But at least it's better than being ignored- one seems to become invisible when one is older.

Last year I went shopping for a new car. I had two on my short list, and was quite interested in one.

We were in the showroom for 20 minutes, without anybody talking with us. It wasn't busy.

I bought the other one on the short list.

But back on topic. While I don't know if this is an Americanism, I really don't like "sounds like a plan".

The adoption of 'lawyers'. They're SOLICITORS or the legal fraternity.

....and the constant misspelling of English words eg: gaol, specialized etc.

Technically there is a distinction between the word 'lawyers' and solicitor/barrister. The former is just admitted to a Court, the latter have been registered as such. I think you mean the word 'attorney' which Americans use interchangeably with solicitor/barrister.

....and the constant misspelling of English words eg: gaol, specialized etc.

I think you might mean attorney. Hilarious when someone tells you "You'll be hearing form my attorney", because it means they have no idea what they are talking about.

What they do as well which is not considered rude in US, however would be in Oz, they will not refer to someone who is present by using their name which is just common courtesy in Oz , they will say "she" or "he".

Hope this makes sense

What they do as well which is not considered rude in US, however would be in Oz, they will not refer to someone who is present by using their name which is just common courtesy in Oz , they will say "she" or "he".

Hope this makes sense
It is also not considered rude to not say "Please " and/or "Thankyou" in many places.

For eg; "Gimmee a hot dog with mustard" is a standard way of requesting one.

I keep catching myself saying cookie - because that's what my daughter and her friends call biscuits ... drives me nuts but I still inadvertently do it!

I keep catching myself saying cookie - because that's what my daughter and her friends call biscuits ... drives me nuts but I still inadvertently do it!

Ugh! Imagine Anzac Cookies. Help us all! I only thing I call cookies is chocolate chip cookies because to me that is a specific name for a specific recipe. chocolate chip biscuits somehow sounds wrong.

Back