Moving to Perth - rental property anyone?

My family and I are moving to Perth and are currently dealing with Property Managers in Leeming, Bull Creek, Willetton areas (some seem more interested in taking calls from me, than others).

School term starts on the 2nd of February and we finish our jobs here on the 27th of January. Trouble is property managers won't look at us because we aren't there yet (which I totally understand - best interest of the landlord and all that) - and we can't enrol the kids in schools unless we are in zone!

We would prefer to get the kids into school on the first day of term so they settle in better but can't do this until we have a house.

I have completed a search on the forum for any websites for private landlords and have looked at rent.com.au. I thought I would post here in case there are any landlords managing their own properties who would have a 4 bedroom house available in late January for a family of 5 in the areas above (would love a pool?).

We are investors in NZ ourselves, and I currently work as a Property Manager, but we are both taking up positions in a Government Department.

We would like something near Willetton, Leeming, or Rossmoyne High Schools.

We obviously don't have any rental references as we own our own properties, but have plenty of character references and a solid double income.

Any landlord outs there willing to Skype us, and check references, instead of meeting us in person?

Trouble is property managers won't look at us because we aren't there yet (which I totally understand - best interest of the landlord and all that)

dumb phuck agents. why do you have to look at something to be able to rent it?

dumb phuck agents. why do you have to look at something to be able to rent it?

Ridiculous.

We have many tenants who rent, sight unseen, as they are transferring from across the country.

Why do they need to look at you?
I think it is more a rule of the PM?

They can check your references without you being there....which in Canada is almost impossible.
We call up and ask if they are employed there..they won't tell us because it is private.

Good luck anyways

Main reason - we may not like the house and move on quickly. And i guess some want to meet us to make sure we are they type of people they want to deal with.

Thanks - I will keep trying - it may be just a couple of companies' policies.

Do you know anyone in Perth who could inspect it for you?

My daughter rented a house in another town by having a friend inspect it (up front about it, agent knew it was a friend). They only wanted it for 6 months while they bought a property so weren't too fussy.

Agent told daughter they insisted on an inspection (friend OK) so daughter could not claim that agent misled them if daughter did not like it when she got there.
Marg

Trouble is property managers won't look at us because we aren't there yet (which I totally understand - best interest of the landlord and all that) - and we can't enrol the kids in schools unless we are in zone!

my wife was a property manager in Perth years ago and this is standard practice at most agencies.

The problem often faced is tenants accept a property and then find issue with it once they arrive and then want to break lease etc... If you know anyone on the ground in Perth you could have them inspect and be a signatory on the lease to secure the property, you will need to sign the lease and agree to the terms however (which will mean visually inspecting the property).

Sometimes the offer to pay X many months in advance and sign a longer lease (12 months) can make the agency turn a blind eye to such policies.

Good luck

Do you know anyone in Perth who could inspect it for you?

My daughter rented a house in another town by having a friend inspect it (up front about it, agent knew it was a friend). They only wanted it for 6 months while they bought a property so weren't too fussy.

Agent told daughter they insisted on an inspection (friend OK) so daughter could not claim that agent misled them if daughter did not like it when she got there.
Marg

I was told it maybe something to do with sighting original identification etc

There have been stories of overseas criminals selling property they dont own

Hubby's eldest moved over winter from Adelaide to Canberra for work. The only why she could get somewhere to rent - all PM properties had to be viewed - was thru a private landlord and she had to sign a 12 month lease.

The townhouse looked lovely in the photos - and is lovely - except the heating and insulation is useless, only blinds on the windows and she's not allowed to put up curtains, and it's freezing in winter. Not good in Canberra.

She'll be moving the second her lease is up.

The coldness of the place is something she would have found out with an inspection.

Hubby's eldest moved over winter from Adelaide to Canberra for work. The only why she could get somewhere to rent - all PM properties had to be viewed - was thru a private landlord and she had to sign a 12 month lease.

The townhouse looked lovely in the photos - and is lovely - except the heating and insulation is useless, only blinds on the windows and she's not allowed to put up curtains, and it's freezing in winter. Not good in Canberra.

The coldness of the place is something she would have found out with an inspection.

Does she not have recourse with tribunal, as it is part of maintaining temperature control. If she didn't damage any walls putting up curtain rods, how can she be denied?
Another solution would be put those free standing privacy screens in front of windows. It would block a lot of the cold air too.
Rob also mentioned using tension curtain bars inside the window frame, to hold up curtains. Won't leave any marks.

Last edited:

in retrospect does she regret not flying to canberra to inspect the property(and others)?

in retrospect does she regret not flying to canberra to inspect the property(and others)?

She was unemployed at that stage and didn't have the money. She is young, it's one of those learning lessons we have to have in life.

We'll pop down to visit soon so will take some thick rugs I have in storage and some non-grandma thermals ...

Back