Mozilla Firefox

I'm going to have to stop using Firefox :(

Unfortunately, graphically intensive pages,opening multiple tabs etc all adds to making my PC unstable - out of resources style (which if it was Win95 I would understand, but not W2K Server!).

Not Happy - gonna miss the page load speed and that middle button for tabs. :mad:

Oh well, back to IE6....

How much memory do you have in your machine sbe ?

I use Firefox all day long and typically run half a dozen browser windows each with up to a dozen or more tabs open in them.

I've never had problems with stability.

I'm running WinXP.

I do have a lot of RAM in my machine, but I also push that to the max when doing product demos and such.

keithj said:
There was a review of browsers in yesterdays Icon section of Sunday Herald. See http://www.crazybrowser.com/ It has tabs and uses the IE engine and it's free.

I used Crazy Browser before I switched to Opera.. for security reasons I chose to adopt Opera and then also found that Opera was much more usable than Crazy Browser.. Because Crazy Browser internally uses IE, it'll always be as slow as Internet Exploder is..

Alas, my work PC only has a P4 2.8Ghz with 1Gb RAM. :p

Plus 1.5Gb available as swap = 2.5Gb.....

Currently using 650Mb.

Usually stuffs up with intensive surfing of a combination of :
HeraldSun
RealEstate
Forum

IE Never stufs up on these sites. :(

I wouldn't use anything that uses IE as an engine.

Wrapping up IE in something else is only going to slow it (IE) down more than it already is.....

You didn't load any extensions to Firefox did you ? Might be one of them causing instability. I have spent long browsing sessions opening up literally many dozens of threads on realestate.com.au and this forum using Firefox without problems.

I'm disappointed that you are having problems given how wonderful I find Firefox myself.

Just the basics.

Firefox 0.8.0+

There seems to be three extensions pre-loaded.

Loaded a newer vewsion from website - still no joy with it.

Great looking product, love the features (Tabs, built in popup killer), FAST. Once they fix the resource leakage, I'm there !!

I get to the point where new tabs (which I used extensively) would open, but not display content (only saw old stuff). Scrolling full up/down the page refreshed it, but it was downhill everytime it hit that point......

Anyone else - this may be something peculiar to my setup. Try this browser, 'cause it's seriously promising.

I've just loaded Thunderbird and images won't open.

Could this just be a setting?

Thommo

Tis OK. Once I cleared the "Junk Mail" status I could see the mail in all it's glory!

T

Yup, by default junk mail is set to not load external images (this is one thing spammers use to track you - every image loaded in a HTML email counts as a hit on their servers which can be tracked).

I hope you got the latest version of Thunderbird v0.6, which was released earlier this week ?

Sim said:
Yup, by default junk mail is set to not load external images (this is one thing spammers use to track you - every image loaded in a HTML email counts as a hit on their servers which can be tracked).
This may explain why I've done well with spam by using Hotmail's own site, where you get an option to delete junk before opening it, which is a problem with OE.

Thommo

Back